• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Retirement, where would you settle? (1 Viewer)

Marys1000

If you weren't considering proximity to family but access to nature, birding and affordability....where would you settle and why?

I find myself the end of the line family wise with none of my own. So.....I'm looking both for help and because I think the answers will be interesting.

If worldwide, South Africa, preferably Cape Province.
Just the bee's knees, it's got everything. Birds, mammals, scenery, climate, facilities, character. Relatively cheap, excellent medical facilities.

If Europe, Spain.
Decent climate, decent birds, relatively low cost (helping by the total collapse of their economy and property prices). If near any of the coasts, large ex-pat community, thus full services such as medical, etc, in English.

If in US, then California, somewhere near San Francisco.
Crushing property prices I imagine, but birding excellent in alldirections and just about the best weather in all the U.S.

I've always had my heart set on somewhere in the UK near the Elan Valley in Wales or Bonsall, Derbyshire. Elan Valley gives me all the birds I need and Osprey/greenland goose flocks within thirty miles, Bonsall is just a nice little village with Barn owls and hundreds of swallows. There's better places for nature, but I don't really want the best-just somewhere real. My advice isn't to retire to somewhere with the most extravagant birds in the world, but to find somewhere with an abundance of birds like swallows which you will always enjoy seeing.

Last edited:
I've always had my heart set on somewhere in the UK near the Elan Valley in Wales...

Ticks the boxes for beauty, not bad at all for general nature and birds, but cold and raining half the time, drapsed in low cloud and mist much of the rest ;)

Na, wouldn't want that for my pensioner bones :-O

In the states it depends on where the grandchildren are!... But on the east coast...New Jersey area near Cape May and John Forsythe reserve, close to Jamaica Bay in NYC area, lots of birding.

On central Great lakes area...near Ohio and Lake region.... near Magee Marsh

Perhaps on west coast....near Tuscan.... Or Oregon coast....

jim

If in the United States, southern Arizona. The sky islands are beautiful for birding, the cost of living is not high - compared to other areas.
If worldwide, probably Costa Rico same reasons as above.

In the UK it would have to be Nethybridge - great wildlife and great people

Worldwide - Nelson BC for the same reasons as above.

Rich

I've never been, but I always thought Panama might be good for this. Modern and quite easy to emigrate to I believe. Plus birding that could keep you interested for years.

One of my colleagues is just now buying a place in a gated community in Ecuador, I guess that must be really high on the list of places with great birds (never been). If comfortable with Spanish, then also consider Chile, probably the safest and most developed area in all of South America, great on the beauty scale, with good wine and some great birds (even though the total is only 500 species I guess).

Panama and Costa Rica are on my personal radar, but I would need to check the security and health care situation out a little more before I would be ready to retire there.

Australia is another place to consider: great birds with a good variety all along the east coast, so choose depending on your temperature preferences, or if you like the real tropics, Darwin in north.

Niels

It would have to be Pembrokeshire with it's miles and miles of coastal path, great birding with Skomer Island a short boat trip away mind you given the choice I might head for the warmth of Florida having visited a dozen times it does have it's attractions away from the Theme parks.

briansbirding.blogspot.co.uk

I have just retired, on 22nd May. I have settled where I have lived all my life, in the Isle of Man, but am getting out birdwatching every day and plan to spend some of my savings on travelling while I can.

I have been watching choughs every day, and lots of other bird species, too. This is the life!

Malaysia is another interesting option. The MM2H programme provides renewable 10 year residence visas, and no tax is payable under this programme. The capital, Kuala Lumpur, is the hub for Air Asia, which has incredible low cost flights throughout Asia and beyond.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back