• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

Joggers - There's a canal tow path and a running track at Tamworth - Please use either of them and not the West side path as all the action is on canal scrape at the moment. Thanks for clearing out all the birds with your pounding feet and pink Lycra.

Still on the scrape briefly tonight were Spotshank, 2 Wood Sand, Redshank and 3 Snipe. All returned within an hour or so should be good for tomorrow. Marsh Harrier was hunting at the North end of Dosthill NR but never crossed the river. Also Barn Owl, several groups of Terns through (presume Common) and 19 Egret in the new roost by 8.20pm with still several birds out on the reserve.

Snipe are so under rated - pity I didn't get a chance of a proper picture joggers

Steve

Attachments

• Snipe.jpg
    Snipe.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 57
The Spotshank is now getting so close I'm struggling to crop out the vignetting. Also this afternoon Greenshank, Dunlin, LRP's and RP's, 2 Wood Sandpiper and Marsh Harrier chased North through the reserve by a group of Starlings.

Steve

Attachments

• SRed4.jpg
    SRed4.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Greenshank.jpg
    Greenshank.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 52
Another lovely day out at Muddleton! (quite dry considering the amount of rain).
As Steves sightings above (but dipped on the Greenshank). Had two brilliant shows from the Marsh Harrier over North Pit, flushing everything, including the Greylags & 6 Snipe. Green And Common Sand on NP.
A couple more p0hotos of the Wood Sand & Spot Shank together and Marsh Harrier

Richard

Attachments

• New_1_DSCF4152.JPG
    New_1_DSCF4152.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 66
  • New_1_DSCF4144.JPG
    New_1_DSCF4144.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF4145.jpg
    DSCF4145.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
We ought to have a proper name for the scrape on the West side next to the picnic bench. Tweeting out "The scrape to the North of Canal Scrape and just to the South of the pool formally known as South Pit" is just too much. Officially it's called West Scrape but people also refer to canal scrape as West Scrape - l've been guilty of that in the past. Perhaps we should call it Garganey Scrape - suggestions please but not "Scrapey MacScrapeface".

Steve

No real change tonight. On River Scrape was the Wood Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper and 4 LRP. The only other birds of note were Hobby and Barn Owl. 19 Little Egret roosted on the East of Jubilee.

Steve

I was hoping for so much more today especially as I packed the wife off early to London and there were no time constraints. Did a morning session that was poor so went back this evening for more.

The Wood Sandpiper appears to have gone. It flew high and to the North (strange direction) Sunday night so I assumed it was just going to roost. New in this morning was the Blackwit which came in from the North at 9.15am. It was still on Canal Scrape on my way out tonight but had gone on my return. Also tonight an adult and juvenile Ringed Plover have appeared and are with the 4 LRP's on River Scrape. For those inexperienced, like myself, in identifying the two in their juvenile forms then below are a couple of snaps from tonight. If I've got it correct the Ringed Plover is the one on the Left (white behind the eye).

Wally had 12 Little Egret on the Kingsbury roost tonight and myself 19 in the Jubilee roost last night so there is a good 30 birds already in the valley.

Steve

Attachments

• RP2.jpg
    RP2.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 58
  • LRP1.jpg
    LRP1.jpg
    765.2 KB · Views: 66
We ought to have a proper name for the scrape on the West side next to the picnic bench. Tweeting out "The scrape to the North of Canal Scrape and just to the South of the pool formally known as South Pit" is just too much. Officially it's called West Scrape but people also refer to canal scrape as West Scrape - l've been guilty of that in the past. Perhaps we should call it Garganey Scrape - suggestions please but not "Scrapey MacScrapeface".

Steve
Officially there are only two scrapes on JWs, East and West both controlled by sluice gates. For me the rest is just JWs but if you wanted to be precise you could say North, South, East or West. I think if you give them names like Garganey Scrape then you'll get people asking where it is.
There used to be a Spoonbill Pit but now it's got a sign calling it Dallows Lake north of RSPB North Pit. Dosthill Lake is now called Cliff Lakes see, www.clifflakes.org but perhaps it's best to keep the name Dosthill Lake or the Water Ski pit, according to the locals it was always Cliff Lake.

The reserve was very quiet this afternoon, the highlights being 5 Wigeon, 5 Little Grebe, 1 adult and 2 juvenile Ringed Plover and a juvenile LRP together on East Scrape. 2 Green Sandpiper and a Common Sandpiper on NP.
I didn't check out Hall Lake.

................ For me the rest is just JWs but if you wanted to be precise you could say North, South, East or West.......,..,.

Geoff - Thanks for the clarification I will refer to it as Jubilee West in future.

ps - Are you or anyone else reading this available for the bird race on Saturday.

Steve

I thought the JWs would be quiet with the work party on there so a juvenile Curlew Sandpiper on the East Scrape was a nice surprise. Also seen were 2 Garganey on FMP, a Mallard x Pintail hybrid? 5 Ringed Plover, 2 LRP, 5 Snipe and a Grey Wagtail on the river. On the Hall Lake were 2 Green Sandpiper and a Black-tailed Godwit.

Steve

Just a thought to throw into the mixing pot, The RSPBs own map of the site shows West & East Scrapes and also JW `North & South`.

Why not Post Code/sub-divide the areas, as per pic.! Just a thought...

Richard

Attachments

• New_1_DSCF4211.jpg
    New_1_DSCF4211.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 77
Just a thought to throw into the mixing pot, The RSPBs own map of the site shows West & East Scrapes and also JW `North & South`.

Why not Post Code/sub-divide the areas, as per pic.! Just a thought...

Richard
Re the Post Codes, it could be useful, especially if the RSPB stick posts in the areas concerned.
Augusts monthly total was just 100 which was up on 2014 and 2015 but well down on 2013 =112. Missing were Shelduck, Oystercatcher and Swift which all left unusually early, Raven, Skylark and Treecreeper unless anyone knows differently.
Other totals for August were Upton Warren 104 and Sandwell Valley 98
September started well with some goodies, Marsh Harrier, Hobby, Water Rail, Ringed Plover, LRP on the reserve and 2 Black-tailed Godwit on Hall Lake.

Last edited:
Autumn All Day Birdwatch

Autumn All Day Birdwatch this Saturday (3rd). All welcome, the more the merrier. I intend to start at 7.30am from the RSPB car park. We already have 8 confirmed but mainly for the morning only. Could really do with a bit more afternoon and evening cover. I intend to post a full Autumn list here and update it on an hourly basis. Any sighting you have that are not on the list then could you please report via Twitter @Piccalilli123.

See you Saturday

Steve

Good luck to all taking part in the all-dayer at Middleton tomorrow. Sorry I can't be there this time but I'll be following your progress online.

Steve

Autumn All Day Birdwatch

AUTUMN 2016 ALL DAY BIRDWATCH - SATURDAY 3rd SEPTEMBER

Red - Not Seen Green - Seen

1 Avocet
2 Barn Owl
3 Barnacle Goose
4 Bittern
5 Black Tern
6 Blackbird
7 Blackcap
8 Black-headed Gull