• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (51 Viewers)

A few differing wildfowl counts from the Flashes first thing via Andy P:

8 Snipe, 5 Green Sandpiper, 75 Lapwing, 24 Shoveler, 5 Gadwall

We have had a very speedy initial response regarding the above colour flagged Avocet.

It was ringed on the 16th June 2018 at Nosterfield LNR, North Yorkshire. It was seen four times at Alkborough Flats, Lincolnshire (a known staging site for Avocet which winter further south in East Anglia where white 64 had also been recorded) and then in early April 2019 it was reported from Goldcliffe Ponds in South Wales.

This ringed Avocet - yellow flag with black code "D3" on its left leg and a plain yellow flag on its right leg - noted at Upton Warren in May this year has sighted again at Alkborough Flats yesterday.

Last edited:
The only news today comes from Mike Gower at the Flashes - 9 Curlew, Common Sandpiper, 2 Avocet, Snipe and 2 Raven.

Spotted Flycatcher behind the Water Rail Hide this afternoon

Attachments

• 09-12-2019_141003(6).jpg
    09-12-2019_141003(6).jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 09-12-2019_141003(16).jpg
    09-12-2019_141003(16).jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 09-12-2019_141052(8).jpg
    09-12-2019_141052(8).jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 79
My first chance to visit Upton Warren since the 17th May. You notice how things have grown since then. Anyway, rewarded with a glorious warm, sunny day and plenty of birds.A couple of pics taken today, including the 2 Ruff. (still there at 3.30pm)

Richard

Attachments

• DSCF8783.JPG sharp.JPG
    DSCF8783.JPG sharp.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF8780.JPG sharp.JPG
    DSCF8780.JPG sharp.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF8770.JPG sharp.JPG
    DSCF8770.JPG sharp.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF8779.JPG sharp.JPG
    DSCF8779.JPG sharp.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Hen brook and pool major works starting Monday 16th Sep

On Monday morning of 16th September work will be starting on this project..access will be through the sewage works and the archery field. There will be some disturbance to the Flashes.
The work is mostly on the Hen pool/ brook so birds might settle down on the Flashes or relocate to the Moors.
There might be an half day plant survey on Friday 20th..but when I hear more I will let you know on here.
Check out link below

Great news! Work to improve more of #UptonWarren for wildlife starts on 16Sep - restoring part of the Hen Brook, all of the Hen Pool & creating a new scrape/swampy area ��

Why not take 5mins as you walk to The Flashes to see what's going on!

More: https://t.co/rlaBby6Mj5 https://t.co/1XXi2ZnWrh

Last edited:
Hen Pool development

Great news! Work to improve more of #UptonWarren for wildlife starts on 16Sep - restoring part of the Hen Brook, all of the Hen Pool & creating a new scrape/swampy area ��
More: https://t.co/rlaBby6Mj5 https://t.co/1XXi2ZnWrh

Great that Worcs Wildlife is continuing to invest in developing Upton. Is there a map of works. Could rename it Bluethroat Pool in the hope of a repeat.
The area to the right of the boardwalk towards the climbing wall has potential I did see lots of Orange Balsam sprouting up there - don't want that spreading round the reserve

What a day first visit to Upton Warren since January and such a beautiful day to go with it.

Arrived around 07.45am at the Moors Pools got out the taxi and went to the gates leading to the concrete hides but didn’t go through stood by the smaller gate of the two and waited for around 2 minutes and all hell broke loose.

By this I mean it was bird after bird after bird, it started with a Blue tit then came a Chiffchaff then a Blackcap, then 2 Cetti’s warblers in full view and followed by 2 Lesser whitethroats what a way to kick the day off
After a short while with just a few more Blue tits I decided to walk to the new hide on the way the reed bed on the right was full of sound did see a Reed bunting and a Sedge warbler I also heard a couple of Reed warblers but didn’t see them.

In the hide I did see Blue tits. Great tits, Bullfinch, Chaffinch and Robin.
Walking from the new hide to the West hide I managed to see Song thrush, Starling, Chiffchaff, Long tailed tits, Dunnock, Greenfinch & Jackdaws

Around 70 Canada goose flew from the Main Moors Pools over the North Moors Pool I didn’t know it at the time, but this was just the start of a Goofest on the Main Moors pool.

On entering the West hide (no one else in) I started to look around the pool managed to see Mallard, Coot (19), Cormorant (14), LBBG (6), BHG (150+) Lapwing (67), Greylag goose (67), Snipe (7), Little egret (2), Pochard (1) now for the Canada Goose total (510+) and they were still coming in when I left.

Complete list of species seen around the Moors pools –

Blue tit, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Cetti’s warbler, Lesser whitethroat, Wren, Robin, Greenfinch, Reed bunting, Starling, Sedge warbler, Green woodpecker, Mallard, Woodpigeon, Cormorant (14), Great tit, Moorhen, Jackdaw, Carrion crow, Coot (19), Magpie, Jay, Grey heron (7), Mute swan (6), LBBG (6). BHG (150+), Lapwing (67), Greylag goose (67), Snipe (7), Little egret (2), Little grebe, Buzzard, Collared dove (1), Stock dove (4), Pochard (1 male), Dunnock, Coal tit, Blackbird & Tufted duck (21)

Now onto the Sailing pool not too much to report from here just the usual suspect including Swallow (3)

Complete list for Sailing pool –

BHG (18), LBBG (3), Common gull (2), Great crested grebe (3), Mallard, Cormorant (2), Tufted duck (9), Swallow (3), Grey wagtail, Buzzard (pale looking bird), Robin, Goldcrest (3), Starling (2) & Willow warbler

From the gate from the Sailing pool to the gate after the Hen Hide

Complete species list seen in the Hen brook area –

Great tit, Blue tit, Magpie, Wood pigeon, BHG, Jackdaw, Reed warbler, Sedge warbler & Blackbird.

Now onto the flashes stayed here until 5pm

Complete list of species seen to day –

Woodpigeon, Robin, Mallard, Sedge warbler (1), Jackdaw, Lapwing (59), Goldfinch, BHG (248), Moorhen (14), Snipe (3), Stock dove (12), Ruff (2), Avocet (3), Carrion crow, Canada goose (1), Teal (11), Pheasant (1m 2f), Jackdaw, Curlew (7). Pied wagtail, Magpie, Coot (42), LBBG (1A 2J), Gadwall (2), Cormorant (1), Blue tit, Wren, Starling, Shoveler (1f), Herring gull (1), Green sandpiper (1) Green woodpecker, Sparrowhawk & Grey wagtail

8 species of butterfly on the reserve yesterday as per Craig Jones:

Small White, Large White, Green-veined White, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Speckled Wood, Comma, Small Copper

Dragonfly-wise there were Migrant Hawker, Common Darter and Ruddy Darter as per Glenn Hunt

From the Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

3 Avocet, 2 Ruff, adult Yellow-legged Gull, Dunlin, 3 Green Sandpiper, 13 Curlew, 102 Lapwing, 6 Snipe, 55 House Martin, Lesser Whitethroat, 19 Shoveler, 75 Teal, just 4 Meadow Pipit so far

The 2 Ruff have now moved to the Moors Pool as per Andy P.

Also 4 Snipe, 78 Lapwing, 80 Mallard, 12 Teal, 14 Tufted Duck, 5 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler, Kingfisher.

A female / juvenile Pintail - the first of the year - at the Moors Pool this morning as per Andy P.

Also Nuthatch, Jay and Coal Tit as per Tim.

2 Little Egret as per Dave J.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back