• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st Winter male Common Redstart London? (1 Viewer)

KenM

I have very little experience of 1st Winter male Redstarts, am assuming that the contrasting tertial/secondaries indicate as such...further, is the amount of grey fringing the norm (if it is a male) in a 1st Winter Phoenicurus phoenicurus?

I do have other images.

Cheers

Attachments

• P2060169.jpeg   Can.Wharf.Cred.1. for comp..jpeg
    P2060169.jpeg Can.Wharf.Cred.1. for comp..jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
The pale bar on the coverts would indicate a 1cy i think - nice pic and smart bird btw:t:

Laurie -

Thanks Laurie :t:.....here are a few more pics. I just don't know how ''typical'' (if there is such a word) this is for P.phoenicurus, as there does seem to be a fair amount of grey fringing with the suggestion of some pale panelling in the wing?

Cheers

Attachments

• P2060160.jpeg   Can.Whrf.Crdstrt.10..jpg
    P2060160.jpeg Can.Whrf.Crdstrt.10..jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 65
  • P2060104.jpeg    Can.Whrf.Start13..jpeg
    P2060104.jpeg Can.Whrf.Start13..jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 55
It is in all respects a typical autumn Common Redstart. Wouldn't want to age it. Before the other Redstart-thread some time ago, I wouldn't have hesitated to sex it as female. But we learnt that there may be exeptionally female-like 1cy males...

Smart birds and that big eye is so photogenic:t:

Laurie -

You're right there Laurie, the eyes have it! :t:

It is in all respects a typical autumn Common Redstart. Wouldn't want to age it. Before the other Redstart-thread some time ago, I wouldn't have hesitated to sex it as female. But we learnt that there may be exeptionally female-like 1cy males...

The image was taken on a relatively late date 5.10.19 as was this further image 6 years earlier on the same date at Landguard Point, Suffolk. Having looked at the race ssp.samamisicus, one might be forgiven for drawing a comparison with the London bird?

Cheers

Attachments

• Landguard Fem.type Rdstrt No.3..jpg
    Landguard Fem.type Rdstrt No.3..jpg
    228 KB · Views: 42
I seem to recall lots of this large group, also the Catharus Thrushes, having either a pale bar or a row of faint spots in their post-juv plumage to age them as 1w but don’t ask me about gender - these days you might offend.....even a bird sp;)

I couldn’t possibly comment on a Sammy as i have only seen breeding adults on passage in an Istanbul Spring but here’s a link to another in-depth article by the ever-informative Brian Small:t:

https://www.britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/article_files/V102/V102_N02/V102_N2_34_47.pdf

Laurie:t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back