• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon FF (and DX) Mirrorless rumours/ announcements (2 Viewers)

Well ime only just recovering from the none launch of the DL24-500 ;),the Z50 with no IBIS is another letdown, before i read the details it was on my list of possibilities

Well ime only just recovering from the none launch of the DL24-500 ;),the Z50 with no IBIS is another letdown, before i read the details it was on my list of possibilities

Really? I couldn't care less if it has IBIS or not. On the contrary, IBIS is just another component that may fail. For bird photography I need high shutter speeds anyway, and for everything else VR is good enough as far as I'm concerned.

Not every feature is necessarily a must-have.

Hermann

Really? I couldn't care less if it has IBIS or not. On the contrary, IBIS is just another component that may fail. For bird photography I need high shutter speeds anyway, and for everything else VR is good enough as far as I'm concerned.

Not every feature is necessarily a must-have.

Hermann

I do apologise for having different needs to you ;)

My photography is on the downhill slide due to various reasons including age, after 40 years with Nikon i was forced to change to save bulk and weight.
Although i dont have any real complaints about m4/3 i would like to return to Nikon.

I thought a Z body i could afford if it had IBIS would allow me to use the Nikon 300mm f4 and on occasion the 1.4 tc with it, i need VR or IBIS.

Being on the pension now i need to give more thought to what i spend so the 300mm PF i decided was too expensive.

I do understand what you are saying but please remember one size does not fit all.

Sorry if I came across far more strongly than I wanted. My apologies.

I thought a Z body i could afford if it had IBIS would allow me to use the Nikon 300mm f4 and on occasion the 1.4 tc with it, i need VR or IBIS.

Yep, with the 300/f4 + 1.4 VR or Ibis makes a lot of sense. And the previous version of the 300 doesn't have VR, so Ibis helps a lot.

In fact, thinking about it, I still have my old 400mm/f5.6 IF-ED going back to the times of film photography. That should work well with a body that has Ibis, at least with stationary birds.

Being on the pension now i need to give more thought to what i spend so the 300mm PF i decided was too expensive.

I'm still on the fence about the 300 PF. Not on a pension yet, but I will be in two years time, so I don't want to spend too much money right now. At the moment I make do with the AF-P 70-300 FX as my walk-about lens, a fantastic lens taking into account how (relatively) little it costs.

Hermann

Strange positioning of this 'Z50'. You would think that being D7xxx level that it would come with IBIS. It really should be more of a Sony a6600 competitor, only at a less customer gouging price.

Sony's pricing is off the planet considering all the 'old' tech in them - they really have taken the foot off the development accelerator and have slowed to a CaNikon market niche protection model - only with the added complexity of having legacy models sold alongside the newer superceding ones ....... :h?:

I could understand entry level APS-C Mirrorless Z models that mirror the market positions of the D3xxx, and D5xxx not having IBIS, but not having that in the supposedly 'Prosumer' level D7xxx Mirrorless equivalent seems rather strange to me. :cat: Perhaps protecting existing DSLR lines figures rather too heavily, and this particular Leopard isn't ready to ditch it's spots any time soon ......

Chosun :gh:

Sorry if I came across far more strongly than I wanted. My apologies.

Yep, with the 300/f4 + 1.4 VR or Ibis makes a lot of sense. And the previous version of the 300 doesn't have VR, so Ibis helps a lot.

In fact, thinking about it, I still have my old 400mm/f5.6 IF-ED going back to the times of film photography. That should work well with a body that has Ibis, at least with stationary birds.

I'm still on the fence about the 300 PF. Not on a pension yet, but I will be in two years time, so I don't want to spend too much money right now. At the moment I make do with the AF-P 70-300 FX as my walk-about lens, a fantastic lens taking into account how (relatively) little it costs.

Hermann

Perhaps the way i read it.:t:

I have seen two different comments from 300mm users that the original has the edge on IQ compared with the PF, i would like the PF though after trying it on my Nikon V2.

They say this is it.

Attachments

• Nikon-Z50-lekaed-image-2.jpg
    Nikon-Z50-lekaed-image-2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Nikon-Z50-mirrorless-APS-C-camera.jpg
    Nikon-Z50-mirrorless-APS-C-camera.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 16
Z50

Yes - here it is:
https://m.dpreview.com/news/1089262...z50-a-dx-format-mirrorless-camera-for-z-mount
https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/niko...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

A solid offering, that offers handy "features" for 'non-photographers'.

The 16-50 f3.5-f6.3 kit lens (w/body for $999) is a nice compact offering, so if you are going to split the lens offering up into 2 that's a win - makes the whole thing handbag sized - though I wish they would have squeezed half a stop more speed out of it. Especially as the 15-45 or 16-50 competition mostly manage f5.6 on the long end.

As per the marketing, it should appeal to the 'instagram' travel crowd, though with mobile phones now covering genuine 16mm ultra wide angle to 52mm normal (or soon 80mm 'tele') and being much better at computational photography - artificial bokeh, night modes, hdr, etc - you have to wonder if this is a very nice camera ............... for 2015

As mentioned in the DPReview initial impressions - the other issue is just how exactly does it stand out from the competition ?? There are at least 4 virtually identical offerings save Brand Name ..... :cat:

It almost seems like the 'Toyota' of product offerings ...... :h?:

I've had a number of APS-C sensor cameras, and recently got a Canon M100 with a similar 2 lenses as the Z50, for $600 USD (standard price).

While the critics beat up on the M100 for its "beginner simplicity", I find it to be a full-featured "prosumer" camera with decent image quality.

I also see the Z50 as very attractive, since it's a Nikon, and following their Z6 and Z7, I'd expect the quality to be comparable. The features look pretty good too.

Hope the 'NIKKOR Z 200-600mm Zoom Lens' becomes available to reflex Nikons. o:)

Other lenses announced today;
NIKKOR Z 28mm Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 40mm Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 60mm Micro Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 105mm Micro S Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 24-105mm S Zoom Lens
NIKKOR Z 100-400mm S Zoom Lens
NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm Zoom Lens
NIKKOR Z 24-200mm Zoom Lens
NIKKOR Z 200-600mm Zoom Lens

Over 40 years of Nikon helped :t:

I have been longing for the rebirth of the Nikon 1, this i think is the closest we will get.
The body is lighter than my EM1MK11.

That is a light camera! The Z50 + 500mm f/5.6 PF is only 1.83kg (4.07 lb). That is almost as light as the Em1m2 + 100-400 at 1.56kg (3.46 lb), which is, AFAIK, the lightest long-reach PDAF birding camera. The d7500 + 500mm comes in at 2.07kg (4.60 lb).

I wonder how the AF and tracking is on the Z50?

Marc

Hope the 'NIKKOR Z 200-600mm Zoom Lens' becomes available to reflex Nikons. o:)

Other lenses announced today;
NIKKOR Z 28mm Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 40mm Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 60mm Micro Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 105mm Micro S Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 24-105mm S Zoom Lens
NIKKOR Z 100-400mm S Zoom Lens
NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm Zoom Lens
NIKKOR Z 24-200mm Zoom Lens
NIKKOR Z 200-600mm Zoom Lens

I don't think that will be possible.

For starters we don't know what the aperture range of this new Z superzoom is - we can only hope it's f5.6 at the long end. So we don't know if it is based on the optical design of the 200-500, and really, that lens needs to get lighter not heavier.

If it is purpose designed for the shorter Z FFL (as you would hope it would be to minimize size/weight), then there is no way to modify it for the F mount.

If is is a dual purpose design to suit the F and Z mount, then the Z mount version will have effectively an extender tube at the end and so won't be as small and light as possible.

We know it will be a FF design, so will give an equivalent focal length range of 300-900mm when mounted on a Z mount APS-C camera such as the new Z50, or its bound to follow bigger brother(s).

It will be interesting to see the final design - size/weight.

So far Nikon seems to be virtually converting some existing designs (particularly zooms) resulting in bigger and heavier (but quicker to market) lenses, with very few completely new designs that take full advantage of the Z mount capabilities.

So far Nikon seems to be virtually converting some existing designs (particularly zooms) resulting in bigger and heavier (but quicker to market) lenses, with very few completely new designs that take full advantage of the Z mount capabilities.

That would be my strategy as well. Making completely new design I suspect would be more costly, and they are to be used with a system that so far is still needing to prove itself regarding earnings power.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back