• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fire at Fair Isle Bird Observatory (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dunstan

Just seen that there is a fire at the obs and additional firefighters have been helicoptered in from the mainland. Hope the damage isn't too significant.

Just seen that there is a fire at the obs and additional firefighters have been helicoptered in from the mainland. Hope the damage isn't too significant.

Well it sounds from this that it may be gone if they had to fly firefighters in!

I'd have thought that by the time they get there, the damage will be done?

Some reports from people closely connected with the observatory painting a much bleaker picture saying that it could be more than just the roof that is damaged.

Latest report from the Beeb now suggesting it's more than the roof, guoting "almost completely destroyed".

Last edited:
Totally gutted - in both senses.

I've just heard all about it (with pictures) from a friend who lives on Fair Isle - the ex Obs warden, Nick Riddiford. It will have major implications for the whole island community.

Yes Roy Dennis has tweeted that the obs has been lost, clearly severe damage.

It was obvious from you OP Stephen, that it was going to be a bad one. They wouldn't be flying in mainland firefighters for something that was under control and though I have no idea how long it took them to get there or, what type of construction the 'Obs' is, it will have been too late. No loss of life at least, that's one thing.

I've never been but know many that have and I understand that this is upsetting for some but why the talk of a collection on the other thread, they must be well insured in order to take visitors?

The big question will be, how long it takes to rebuild, maybe something rudimentary for this year just for the revenue?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back