• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Florida Birding (1 Viewer)

This past Saturday I went to Arthur Marshall to see if I might find the mergansers reported to be there - no luck unfortunately. However, there is a rather surprising number of snipes and killdeer there! I made a rough count of approx 15 Wilson's snipe, and at least 10 killdeer, in the very first pond that's bordered by the main road to the north, the visitor's pavilion, and the diagonal gravel exit road from the impoundment parking lot. They were mixed in among a large number of blue-winged teals, half-a-dozen or so green winged teals, and various other waders. Out on the impoundment levees, there was a northern harrier hunting all around, several limpkin, pied-billed grebe, all forms of heron and egrets, and several purple gallinules. Tons of eastern phoebes - dozens along the eastern treeline next to the farm fields.

Headed over to Green Cay next - didn't catch the well reported bobcats that have been seen there last week - did get some nice flight opportunities of a northern harrier who was quite persistently flying about, a red shouldered hawk, some green-winged teals that have arrived there, and a vast abundance of yellow-rumped & palm warblers in nearly every tree canopy - far too many to count...along with the eastern phoebes in large numbers there too. It'll be a few weeks before I can get back out there as I'm away this coming weekend...maybe a cold front will come in the next week or two and finally drive some of the wintering birds a little farther south - otherwise it could be a relative bust like it was last winter, where it just stays too warm and the winter birds stay farther up north.

visited Walsingham Park Pinellass County Park today, and found what looked like a Brown Creeper, could not get a photo due to branches etc but could confirm a curved beak, brown patterning to the back and a White throat. We see tree creepers back in England and the birds jizz was much the same ie creeping around the trunks and branches of trees. I have checked my Sibley and it states uncommon in this area. I am going back at first light in the morning to try forma photo. If not creeper what else could it be?

Sounds like it could be a Brown Creeper, pompadour, which would be quite rare that far south. They usually stay north of Gainesville which is a few hours driving north of you, where they are still uncommon but regular in winter.

Carlos

thanks for getting back to me Carlos, Had no luck yesterday forgot it was the weekend and every man and his dog was out running etc. Still a nice place to wonder around. We are still here for a few more days so will keep dropping in.
Steve

The conglomeration continues at Arthur Marshall - and it's getting bigger. The first levee entrapment pond that borders the main road and the dirt road to the levee parking area (with the little pavilion on it) is getting like Times Square on New Year's Eve. Sunday, I stopped by at around 1:30pm, and counted 15+ roseate spoonbills, well over 40 Wilson's Snipe, a dozen or two of various sandpipers, lots of the usual blue winged teals, snowy egrets, mottled ducks, ibis, etc mixed in. I haven't seen that many snipe in one spot, and a surprising number of roseates hanging out there too. Around the trees at the end of the levee path at the south end of the pond, I found half-a-dozen loggerhead shrike, and probably around the same number of yellow rumped warblers.

Great horned owl is back in Arthur Marshall - I haven't spotted it yet, but can't miss the calls - somewhere between the small path breaking behind the trailer parking area and the cypress boardwalk. Hopefully they'll be nesting again this year and somewhere where they can be observed.

Didn't see any BEs till Kissimmee. Plenty of nests though.

Saw a monster-sized RTH at back to Nature Wildlife Refuge in Orlando. Nice to see another small operation fighting the good fight.

Duck season - Saw Ring-necks, Hooded Mergansers (including gorgeous males), and female Shovellers at Viera Wetlands on Saturday.

Sunday I went to the Wellington Wetlands off Flying Cow road (they really just need to rename that Flying Cow Wetlands. Any time you have the opportunity to legitimately name something "Flying Cow" you should take it). Found Lesser Scaup - a new one for me.

I went to Wellington Preserve as well, on Saturday. Actually netted myself several new species for myself - savannah sparrow, snail kite, lesser scaup, and caspian tern. Also a possible western variant of palm warbler, which I've never seen before. It's a huge place, and doesn't have that 'feel' of Green Cay and Wako where you see 2 dozen birds without even moving from your spot...but overall the selection was quite good, with just a lot more walking involved to see it all. Lots of limpkin there, loggerhead shrike, pine, palm, and prairie warblers, lots of osprey, little blue herons, great blue herons, anhingas & cormorants - overall, a decent selection.

Agreed Justin. I think as the birds "find" it, and as the trees and other vegetation grow up, it'll be a real hot spot. Snail Kites already love it though - it's full of the exotic apple snails.

I found Mergansers and a Canvasback there last year that I did not see at Green Cay/Wako, but I missed the male Mergansers. Glad I got to see a few (from afar darn it) this year at Viera.

True - it's so new, and already off to a good start. Though the one downside is that it's the type of wetlands/birding spot that makes me start yearning for 600mm lenses again! At GC/Wako, you can happily function with 300mm to 500mm, but Wellington has me wanting a 600mm lens with 1.4x TC!

Wow thanks for the Wellington update. Last time there all I saw were ospreys and stilts. And half dead slash pine seedlings. But it is going to be awesome.

I can't wait to get out to Apoxee--another site that requires walking and work.

I used to take my dog out to Apoxee a lot, but since she's started rapidly aging we haven't been back. I drive past it often though and it looks like they've expanded the paths.

There used to be lovely shading in the back by Australian Pines on the levee, but I think they've removed most of them. I know the ecological reasons for taking them out - but I do miss the shade and the soft pine needles!

When i go to Apoxee I often see a woman (Anne) who has been going there since it opened. She sometimes brings her dogs. She has so many stories about poachers and weirdos that I was almost afraid to go there alone. But it seems that stuff is in the past. While it's cool out (huh?) I'd like to do the trail including the SWA , maybe to Grassy Waters even if I've got to take the bus back lol.
Anne prefers the trail that goes to the left as she says it's shadier but I have only gone to the right at Owachee Trail (or whatever it is.) . I agree that the Australian pines are beautiful even if they are invaders.

Justin I have tried using a 2x TC with my Lumix but it's weird. I'm saving for a real DSLR.

Last edited:
2 Gray Kingbirds present at Lake Worth High. Saw them 3 times this week in north end of parking lot around 6:30 am. They are quite vocal!

Sydsmythe,

Gray Kingbirds would be highly unusual but not unheard of this time of year -- are you sure they weren't Western Kingbirds?

Wintering Gray Kingbirds is something I would encourage to document with photos, as there are only a handful of confirmed winter records. Gray Kingbirds usually stay and breed in Florida from early April to the end of October.

Carlos

Carlos, that crappy light at 6-6:30 am they have been miserable to photograph. I will check the Western Kingbird call though to compare. What I have been hearing sounds like the "pitchere" call, but of course sometimes I get emotional and misidentify.

There was a colony at the high school over the summer, and another one a few blocks north.

I'll try getting there tomorrow but unfortunately the lot will probably be locked.

Could I be seeing a western and hearing a mocker imitating a grey? Anything is possible I guess!

Last edited:
Not a peep (literally) from any birds near the high school that could be construed as gray kingbirds. In fact, nothing in that block the past week from anybody. A block or so away are the usual noisy mockers though. Nothing from them that sounds like a kingbird.

Anyone going to the Big O bird fest?

Hey I'm excited about going to Pahokee tomorrow. I guess the construction on the dike and other stuff has led to the demise of the Outpost. Apparently the last day was Sun the 29th. Wonder if it will be permanent.

I know the dike is necessary but i don't like it. ;(

Last edited:
Went to the Space Coast Birding Festival in Titusville last weekend - I only was there for two days (out of the week and a half of gazillions of field/class/demonstration activities). Next year I will sign up earlier and get into the field trips that I want! No complaints, though. Excellent guides, tons of birders and vendors and general knowledge. I ended up with 5 lifers and my friend got about the same number (though different species for her).

MINWR is awesome. I highly recommend this festival for the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back