• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The polar Bear and me - BBC2 - New Series 1/3 Mon 7/1/2013 21.30pm-22.30pm (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

A new series with Gordon Buchanan about the Arctic Polar Bears on BBC2

Part 1 of 3 is on Monday 21.30pm - 22.30pm on BBC2 7/1/2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pyql5

Part 2 of 3 is on Tuesday 21.30 - 22.30pm on BBC2 8/1/2013

Part 3 of 3 is on Thursday 21.30 - 22.30pm on BBC2 10/1/2013

Regards
Kathy
x

Yes the programme looks good there seems to be a lot off nature shows on at the moment.great viewing for the winter long winter months.

The programme was excellent, and a must watch for all 'bear' fans

A little on the slow side, but that would be part of the territory on any cold area of this planet. Things go at a slower pace, and that is how it has to be for anyone who wants a lot of information in an hours programme.

Loved the bear cubs - what cuties they are and to have so much attention from Gordon, and must be something else to experience.

When Gordon decided to embark on his ownsome sitting in the 'Ice-cube' container, as a defence against the Polar Bears - wow that was just the scariest experience that anyone could go through to get the best all round shots of a bear on a mission to eat Gordon (just the bear with a lot of hunger wanting gordon on his menu) :eek!: :eek!:

I am glad that the bear 'professionals' 'finally' collared the female bear and her 'offspring'.
Hopefully it will bring a lot of information that we as humans will get to know through other peopls experiences of the Polar Bears.

Superb and i will be watching the same programme, as it is on at the same time on BBC2 (tomorrow night) Tuesday night 8/1/2013

Regards
Kathy
x

While interesting to watch I felt it was like so many nature programmes nowadays - breathless excitement and more about the presenter.

While interesting to watch I felt it was like so many nature programmes nowadays - breathless excitement and more about the presenter.

It is after all called The Polar Bear Family and Me. I think the "Me" bit is significant! Anyhoo, there's plenty of room on TV for all kinds of natural history programmes. We have the epic series like Africa and Planet Earth which capture people's imaginations with breathtaking photography and exciting set-pieces, the look behind-the-scenes type programmes like Polar Bear Family and Me or Lost Land of the Volcano which show animals rarely seen on TV but also show the people finding them on screen, and the straight up natural history programmes of Natural World either a personal story presented by someone or featuring one topic in depth for 50 minutes.

We do seem to be missing grand narratives like Life on Earth - authored series exploring big ideas in depth with a strong narrative strand running right through the whole series.

It's been good spotting the birdlife too - herring and glaucous gulls, brent geese, some terns (out of focus in front of picture), and some seabirds flying in the background.

Any idea of the whales that popped up - looked like a humpback to me from the brief glimpse.

It's been good spotting the birdlife too - herring and glaucous gulls, brent geese, some terns (out of focus in front of picture), and some seabirds flying in the background.

Any idea of the whales that popped up - looked like a humpback to me from the brief glimpse.

I really enjoyed it, but this aspect does highlight some big weaknesses. He kept referring to every gull as 'seagulls', not even identifying to species. It wouldn't take much to actually identify the species. This is BBC natural history programming, after all. We do expect (and deserve?) a little more than 'seagull'.

We do seem to be missing grand narratives like Life on Earth - authored series exploring big ideas in depth with a strong narrative strand running right through the whole series.

Strongly agree. But the reason is that the BBC now co-produces with the Discovery Channel on every major series. Has been for about 15-20 years, which is when it all started to get less like a narrative and more like a coffee table brochure of animal greatest hits. Yes, increasingly wonderful camera work, but at a cost to the substance.

It's very notable that the best Attenborough programes of the past 15 years have been his small-scale domestic and personal non-Discovery ones, such as the Elephant Bird etc. And now the consummate BBC man (former controller of BBC2) is making shows with Sky, which speaks volumes.

Really enjoyed it loved the footage of the Gulliemots but it got on my nerves when Gordon kept saying Hallo Bear alot.

Really enjoyed it loved the footage of the Gulliemots but it got on my nerves when Gordon kept saying Hallo Bear alot.

I know what you mean Euan - 'hello bear' is his favourite word.

It is good that Miki is alright, but sad the other baby bear did not it make it at all

Glad to see that not all was lost eith the problem when the 'noted' bears decided to swim and the signal got a bit lost.

Otherwise superb, and I am enjoying the programme a lot

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:

The Guillemots mostly seemed to be Brunnich's Guillemots, which would have been good to put into the commentary as well.

I am aware that with Black and Grizzly Bears part of the modus operandi is to avoid surprising them, hence the "Hey bear, hallo bear" but I'm not sure its relevant to Polar Bear work. They will try to kill you regardless of surprise.

John

Did anyone notice what appeared to be an adult Ivory Gull right at the front of the mother and cubs around 15-20 mins in?

Did anyone notice what appeared to be an adult Ivory Gull right at the front of the mother and cubs around 15-20 mins in?

Sorry I cannot answer your question.

I wish that gordon talked about bird species a little more for interest, and that is one thing that I thought would add value to the programme

Still it was a superb programme, and very informative about the bears.

Gordon Buchanan is very keen on his subject, and he put his thoughts across to his audience very well.

I really hope that Lyla and Mikki get on, and live a good life without any hitches, and with plenty of food.

I liked the ending when the 2 bears found a food source that does not involve eating plastic balls.

Best wishes to both bears both now and in the future.

Regards
Kathy
x

Repeated series for those who wish to see it

Take note

If anyone missed some or all of the series its repeated next week just before winterwatch at 7pm BBC2 Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Regards
Kathy
x

A superb series from a top notch wildlife cameraman and presenter. Yes his 'hello bear' quips were a bit twee, but what person wouldn't try to talk to an animal under similar circumstances. It's habit I suppose regardless whether the animal understands you or not and reassuring to both bear and human when communicating in soft tones. It comes across as less threatening than shouting or yelling or getting excited like from bravado type presenters such as has been witnessed in the past by the likes of Irwin or Backshall.

The programme showed just how hostile that environment is and also how bleak the future is for these superb creatures now the ice cover continues to diminish.

Great job Gordon, but rather him than me.

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back