• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two nests! (1 Viewer)

Mahsleb

Hi Folks

Just when I thought I wasn't going to
have any nesting birds in the garden,
I noticed a flurry of feeding activity
from the Bluetits, Hooray :t:

And a couple of days later I came home
to see a Magpie collecting mud from the
pond then taking it to a nearby Sycamore
and sure enough there's a nest under construction :t:

Later that afternoon, we sat sipping G&Ts on the
garden swing, and this normally nervous bird came within
10ft of us and continued his work!
It was fascinating to see it so close

I know Magpies get a lot of bad press for
their thuggish behaviour, but I rather like them
and I'm glad to have two nests to watch from my window!

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7520.1-bf-Bluetit.jpg
    IMG_7520.1-bf-Bluetit.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7503.1-bf-Magpie.jpg
    IMG_7503.1-bf-Magpie.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7518-bf--Magpie-Nest.jpg
    IMG_7518-bf--Magpie-Nest.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 26
Those are great pics mahsleb. Iv also got a magpie nest in a near by tree and its massvie I can see it clearly from my bedroom window

Hi Tony

Well done and well captured. I'm a bit surprised at the Magpies, they should have nested about a month ago. They are obviously at the 'lining' stage so it shouldn't be all that long (incubation 17-18 days beginning with the first egg) before you'll have to stand guard on the Tit box.

Bill

Thanks Soyeb :t:

And thanks Bill :t:
I must admit I was a bit surprised at
how late the Magpies are, maybe they
had a disaster first time around and had
to restart?
They are remarkably quiet at this stage but
I guess it's gonna get noisy when they fledge
and the whole family goes on the rampage! :eek!:

Cheers

Great photos Tony, I love the Magpie in particular, it really shows its beautiful colours up so well. I watch a Magpie nest over the back from me, and they are busy going in and out regularly, so I think they have young 'uns, they started building their nest way back in Feb/March. Perhaps you're right, and this is a second attempt for yours.
Good Luck with both nesting birds, I hope they are successful.

Hi Tony,

That's smashing to have two nests so close by and visible. Lots of interesting and enjoyable observations to come I think. Magpies do terrify our smaller birds but they are beautiful. You really caught that one well, the iridescence is so clear :t:.

That's so exciting Tony, you should be able to get some more fantastic shots as things progress.
Great news!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back