• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adaptor for Canon A95/Swaro ATS80HD now completed (1 Viewer)

rogerscoth

I have recently finished a new adaptor for my Canon A95 camera and Swarovski ATS80HD with a 20-60x zoom eye-piece. I have incorporated an integral bracket to support a red-dot sight. A stepping-ring is glued to the end of the adaptor to accept the Canon LA-DC52D adaptor. There is a small piece of sticky-back, coarse fabric placed inside the end of the adaptor to grip on the rubber end of the eye-piece, that so far is effective in keeping the adaptor in place; the other parts of the design should be self-explanatory from the pictures.
The cost of parts (including the machining, but excluding the red-dot sight) was about £70.
I have only taken a few pictures in my back garden, so it's early days in my learning curve!
Roger

Pictures of the set-up, with a sample bird picture :-

Attachments

• 2005_05260006a.jpg
    2005_05260006a.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 509
  • 2005_05260003a.jpg
    2005_05260003a.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_0266b.jpg
    IMG_0266b.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 381
Uuuummmm....

WOW!

I'd like mine in Zeiss zoom fit, Roger - preferably black anodised - and I want it now!

;)

Seriously Roger, that's a great design.

blythkeith said:
Uuuummmm....

WOW!

I'd like mine in Zeiss zoom fit, Roger - preferably black anodised - and I want it now!

;)

Seriously Roger, that's a great design.
Yes, Keith, it does shine a bit - I will make enquiries to see if I can get it anodised. If not I may spray it in matt-black paint.

Roger

Roger,

That's a really nice bit of engineering. Well done. Quite a bit cheaper than the "genuine" Swarovski item and probably more usable with it. Nice access to the eyepiece zoom too. I really don't understand why so many people pay such huge prices for off the shelf items when this sort of option is available.

As for making it less shiny, why not matt the surface with a bit of wire wool for starters?

Regards,

Duncan.

Yelvertoft said:
Roger,
That's a really nice bit of engineering. Well done. Quite a bit cheaper than the "genuine" Swarovski item and probably more usable with it. Nice access to the eyepiece zoom too. I really don't understand why so many people pay such huge prices for off the shelf items when this sort of option is available.
As for making it less shiny, why not matt the surface with a bit of wire wool for starters?
Regards,
Duncan.
Duncan,
When I arranged to have the main part of the adaptor machined, I expected it to be in tough black plastic material, as my previous one : see thread :-http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6021/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
On collecting the finished adaptor, I was surprised to see it in aluminium, but was told that this was cheaper than the black plastic!

Regards, Roger

Now Painted plus modificaction

I have now painted the adaptor matt-black and removed the sticky-back, coarse fabric. To hold the adaptor in place more positively, I have cut the ring that locates on the base of the eye-piece, also drilled and tapped a hole for a clamping screw. Two more pictures with the eye-piece in the adaptor:-

Attachments

• IMG_0331a.jpg
    IMG_0331a.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0329a.jpg
    IMG_0329a.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 286
alan_rymer said:
Nice setup Roger.
And do you really have Turtle Doves in your garden?.
Thanks for the compliment Alan. I am afraid we do have these delightful visitors. First one started to visit in May, then two for quite a few weeks - then one day a third tried to join in, but was soon chased away! They have been regular visitors up to last month.

Robert L Jarvis said:
Did you design it yourself and do you take orders?
Robert
I did design it myself Robert, but the main parts I had machined by a professional, then finished off the assembly and fine tolerance fitting myself.
I am sorry that I cannot take orders (due to ill-health problems), as this one took a long time to design and make. If you feel like having a go yourself, I can give you some advice.

Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back