• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dalian (Jinshitan) Birding Reports (2 Viewers)

The problem exists with most if not every zoo, I think. I saw lots of zoo birds without bands in Beijing zoo. Some of them are local species, some are exotic. Some individuals are able to fly. This is not only causing trouble for birders, also has potential impact on local ecosystem if they escaped.:-C

Ferruginous duck (I think) @ Beijing zoo...

Attachments

• P6070722.jpg
    P6070722.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 88
Considered a winter vagrant but I have recorded with photo as late as March in Panjin area. Could be an individual that was injured and unable to leave the area or just decided that it liked it there and stayed. Count or don't count? Each person has to make their own decision, but my general rule is to take a pass on any zoo or display area. The Flamingo at Hong Kong were tempting, but I stuck to my rule and passed. Maybe I'll get them in Florida next summer. :t:

Considered a winter vagrant but I have recorded with photo as late as March in Panjin area. Could be an individual that was injured and unable to leave the area or just decided that it liked it there and stayed. Count or don't count? Each person has to make their own decision, but my general rule is to take a pass on any zoo or display area. The Flamingo at Hong Kong were tempting, but I stuck to my rule and passed. Maybe I'll get them in Florida next summer. :t:
I'm not going to count it. It's just an example of the chaos. Beijing zoo does keep diving ducks.

Tadao Shimba's new "Birds of Japan and Northeast Asia" (2nd edition) is now out. Over 600 pages of stunning photographs of hundreds of species as well as ID guides, etc...
Highly Recommended! I just received mine in the mail and am blown away by the quality. Great for people who like real photos in one resource clearly showing literally every specie they could possibly encounter in the area.

greetings from Kamloops, British Columbia!
www.revealednature.com

Hi Tom,

Could you post the ISBN for the 2nd Edition? I can find listings easily enough, but only one says which edition it is and that one is the first edition. Other people not used to worrying about which edition might accidentally order the wrong one.

BTW, I might be ordering some more of your field guide soon (Chinese edition). More on why later on my thread, but a previous opportunity here that I had thought to be dead may have arisen again.

Thanks Tom, They didn't show which edition is was when I looked at it before, so I wasn't sure if it was the correct one. I've got a copy on order now.

Sorry, just seeing this now. Thanks Mike for posting the link. The first edition has a red cover and the second edition is blue. I've been devouring it over the last days now and it's excellent.

Happy to hear about the new adventure on your thread Owen.

Hi everyone. Here is a shameless plug for my "new" thread/website in British Columbia, Canada.

www.revealednature.com

Hi Dong Bei,

I've bookmarked your site, great shots and wonderful mindset, but am baffled by the linked shopping site for the Birds of Dalian. There is no option for English that I could find and my Chinese reading skills are nil. What would you suggest?

Thanks Mike,

It's a beautifully wild place here in Kamloops.

Maybe I'll have to make a birding trip up to there once cross border travel becomes a thing again! Right now no direct flights to/from the USA from here and the US Department of State warns that most places have a forced two week quarantine, at your own expense, if you make an intermediate stop to change flights, so looks like I'm going to have to ask for another extension in a month.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back