• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesbos (1 Viewer)

hancock

Have just booked a holiday in lesbos 1st may 2008 for 14 days, we are staying at the kalloni 11 at Skala Kalloni,We would like to know the best mode of transport in and around the skala kalloni area,we generally like walking is this ok or is it better hireing a car and if so can we hire one when we get there.

It's been a few years since i went there, but if i remember rightly you won't need a car for lots of the sites, but three or four days would give you some extra sites. Certainly not needed for the fortnight and you can hire them in the town. You won't get the nuthatch without one though.

Have just booked a holiday in lesbos 1st may 2008 for 14 days, we are staying at the kalloni 11 at Skala Kalloni,We would like to know the best mode of transport in and around the skala kalloni area,we generally like walking is this ok or is it better hireing a car and if so can we hire one when we get there.

Lucky you! We're missing out on Lesvos in 2008 for the first time in about 8 years! Hire a car every time! ou'll easily be able to get to the whole island then. We've had a good deal the last 2 yrs with Billy's in Petra - free delivery to your hotel, or pick it up at the airport. There are also a couple of car hire places in the square at Skala Kalloni. There's useful information on the Forum - try 'Lesvos' or 'Vacations'. Read the many reports on there - you'll find them very interesting and informative, and will be able to plan your holiday round them.

Sandra

Hi hancock

We are heading to the same hotel on the same date and I wonder how well the hire companies will deal with the increased need for a hire car all within a short spell and so early in the season.

I have to say that whilst I prefer to hire a car for a few days, it seems it does not detract from the place if we cannot. The most useful part of a hire car, having read a few comments and listened to others peoples experiences, is the fact that it acts as a great hide to aid photography.

See you there! And I promise not to take the last hire car.

Hi Hancock

You've got some great birding on foot from Skala Kallonis. If its been a wet winter then the S Kallonis pools will be good (right outside the hotel) but a dry winter means these are useless, and both Christou (west) and Tsiknias (east) rivers are both easily reached on foot. You could walk to Kalloni Saltpans from S Kallonis, but by the time you're there it will be getting seriously hot (upto 30 degrees by the start of the second week of May).

However, the rest of the island is only accessible by car, and as sleeper has already satted, provides a great birding/photography hide.

I've just announced a new website which you mght find interesting - www.lesvosbirding.com.

I'm on the island 17 April - 8 May staying at Pasiphae Hotel (next door to Kalloni II) so maybe see you around.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned bike hire in Skala. 5 Euros a day from Maria's Bikes and you can easily get to the main sites - Salt pans, inland lake, East and West rivers, Potamia valley. Achladeri is probably a bit far, though.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back