• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it worth up grading my 400d to a 50d? (1 Viewer)

G.Wills

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody could help answer a few questions about the canon 50d. I have had my 400d with a canon 300mm F4 + 1.4x converter for about 2 years now but I think its about time for an upgrade and I was wondering how much better the the 50d is compared to the 400d. I am a wildlife photographer and really want a camera with a fast frame rate and good AF for birds in flight and action shots. Obviously the 50d shoots more fps but is the AF more reliable and quicker than what I'm using know? When the 50d first came out, one website (may have even been warehouseexpress) it said that if you use a battery grip you could increase the frame rate to around 8fps. Is this true? As I can't find any info to back this up. Also how much of a difference would the extra 5 megapixels have? Any information would be much appreciated as I am 16 and takes it takes a couple years before I see that kind of money again.

Cheers

Greg

Last edited:
Hi Greg and welcome to BirdForum from all the staff

I stepped up from a 400D to the 40D and was very impressed with it, I did a breif comparison at the time - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=101443
I now have the 50D and to be honest I don't thinks it's a big leap forward from the 40D but it is definitely a good camera. The extra 5mp won't make a huge difference, but other features are nice.

Greg,I agree with Pete.I upgraded from the 30D to the 40D,a vast improvement.I think you will enjoy using the 50D,some excellent photos taken with this cam can be seen in the gallery.I did use the 400D for a short while but upgraded to the 450D,albeit the 40D is my fav birding lens.

I upgraded from the 450d to the 50d the fps was very good for birds in flight, I think the AF was a bit quicker, I was using a 400mm f5.6 on both cameras, you can see both cameras used in my gallery. Now waiting for my new camera 7d hope thats better than the 50d, always nice to have a new camera, is it worth it in money terms, if you are happy with your upgrade then its worth it. Will it make you a better photographer doubt it. but you will have fun learning a new camera.

BTW welcome to the Bird Forum, if you stick it out you will learn alot here like I have

My dad has just done this exact thing and I think it's fair to say he is bowled over by the differences on just about every level.

I upgraded from a 400D to a 50D and can say that it is an excellent upgrade. The 50D is MUCH easier to use. Whether my photos have actually improved I am not sure, but I could never go back to the 400D for bird photography.
If money is tight then a 40D will do pretty much the same job as a 50D, as there are only slight differences between the two. If you are feeling rich then the new 7D is looking like a hell of a camera!
The AF is definitely better on the 50D than the 400D. More accurate(in poor light) and faster to boot. The camera really is a pleasure to use.
I think the increased frame rate when using a battery grip was only for the Nikon D300.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I think when I get all the money together I'll go for the 50d, Unless the 7d comes down in price or I win the lottery! Untill then though I'll keep using my 400d, Which has been a good camera to learn with.

Thanks again,

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back