• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve wader (1 Viewer)

ndsutcliffe

SkyBlue136
Taken yesterday at Alvor Estuary. Suspect Dunlin but quite pale underneath for this time of year? May be a Curlew Sandpiper. Assistance appreciated

Attachments

• Algarve Wader.jpg
    Algarve Wader.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 117
I agree with Dunlin, but are you sure with a juvenile (1cy)? Although hard to judge on this blurred picture, wing-coverts and scapulars seems long, different shaped and worn. In a 1 cy, they should be more even in shape, smaller and rounded and with a pale fringe (can they be allready completly worn of by early september?).
Looks more like a worn adult to me.

But I must admit, when just looking at head and belly, this looks ok for 1 cy , so another possibility is a poor 1 cy bird with some kind of worn and bleached and "dirted" wings, so they look larger and different shaped . Are there other pictures of this Dunlin?

I'm positive about the age. There are a number of scapulars already moulted (visibly greyer, more uniform and longer), giving it a variegated look in such a blurred picture. The type of dark belly spotting is unique to juvs, the adults never have that dot pattern that reaches the breast is that way: the black belly patch is composed of much broader black tips (normally black to the tips, with no white edges by post-breeding moult), etc. The unmoulted old feathers (the browner ones) are not worn breeding plumage remnants but evenly margined juv. feathers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back