• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh harrier eating carrion (1 Viewer)

Fernando np

Hi,

This morning, I've been surprised by a marsh harrier laboriously eating on a roe deer. The mammals was a roadkill. The raptor was taking advantage of the flesh what had left without skin cause of the accident.
This bird is common in my area and this has been the first time I've seen one eating carrion. The same can be said about hen and montagu's harriers, also common. Eating carrion can't be a important source of food for harriers, at least here, in the middle of Spain.
I'd like to know your opinions.

Fernando

Last year I was lucky enough to spend 3 weeks on the Greek island of Antikythira as part of a ringing team during April. They trapped and rung Marsh Harriers and Pallied Harriers, all attracted to carrion which was used as bait. Apparently when the birds are migrating feeding on carrion for Harriers of all types is quite common

Photo taken last Spring of a Pallid Harrier caught and rung using carrion as bait

Attachments

• LRM_EXPORT_22903558257364_20190122_182144958-656x1023.jpeg
    LRM_EXPORT_22903558257364_20190122_182144958-656x1023.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 130
Marsh Harrier also caught and rung om Antikythira using Carrion as bait

Attachments

• DSC_2698-921x1393.jpg
    DSC_2698-921x1393.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 52
I am sure Marsh Harriers have been recorded feeding on carrion at Martin Mere Nature Reserve, Lancashire in the winter.

AFAIK, almost anything will eat carrion, so long as they feel safe doing so - it is after all, free protein. Even cows have been recorded eating carrion. The problems for opportunist scavenging are in terms of whether the meat is fresh enough to be safe, and whether there might be a stronger predator (potential original killer of the carrion) or dedicated scavenger hiding nearby that could be a threat.

I have watched a greatit eating meat of a part deconposed rabbit out side a fox earth,side of the river calder in Lancashire.

I saw a Turnstone pulling bits of flesh off a dolphin corpse at Lymington marshes, Hants many years ago, I have some photos of it somewhere. The dolphin didn't have a head which made it easier for the Turnstone to pull the flesh from the exposed flesh of the neck.

Harrier sometimes eating carrion should be pretty normal.

People put automatic cameras at carrion in Poland and found that everything carnivore sometimes eats carrion, even small raptors, small mustelids and owls. Also woodpeckers and tits (that is why people put a pice of fat out of the window for Bluetits).

Last edited:
AFAIK, almost anything will eat carrion, so long as they feel safe doing so - it is after all, free protein. Even cows have been recorded eating carrion. The problems for opportunist scavenging are in terms of whether the meat is fresh enough to be safe, and whether there might be a stronger predator (potential original killer of the carrion) or dedicated scavenger hiding nearby that could be a threat.
Quite agree Nutcracker,in my opinion any raptor (ih the UK at least) will eat carrion it is easier than hunting especially in winter. On rare occasions,here in the Dales we have even seen the feisty little Merlin pull at carrion

I saw a marsh harrier feeding on a roadkill pheasant this autumn. A long way from typical habitat too.

Attachments

• IMG_3302.jpg
    IMG_3302.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back