• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (4 Viewers)

Hi David. I don’t know if your bird was a Black Kite or not but I can give some feedback.
I have always seen Black Kite in every winter. Two have been seen at the Cap de Ses Salines this winter and also I have seen two individuals, one in Ses Salines and one at the back of the salt pans at Sa Barrala.
It is also a very early migrant, both in spring and autumn. For instance, I saw returning migrants at the very beginning of August last year, much earlier than most other species.
They are quite numerous in some years, again both in spring and autumn so they are not too difficult to see in any year.
I don’t know of any reports of birds in the area your bird was seen in but I don’t see why not.
Hope this helps, Mike

Attachments

• 67B6F530-C52E-4489-BB10-89E53E7E182B.jpg
    67B6F530-C52E-4489-BB10-89E53E7E182B.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 68
An afternoon walk along Cami del Port de Pollenca a Cala Carbo, Can San Vincente.
Birds seen included Booted Eagles, Blue RockThrush, Shags, Cormorant, Audouins Gull, YL Gull, Sardinian Warblers, Goldfinches, Serins.
3 distant Shearwaters, probably Scopolis.
Yesterday several butterflies seen in the warm afternoon including Little blue,Speckled wood and Small Tortoiseshell (reported).
Mike

Went to Boquer Valley this morning. Excellent close up views of Blue Rock Thrush, plenty of Sardinian warblers and black redstarts about but not much else. Parked at Roman Bridge in Pollenca before walking up to gates at Ternelles. Gardener by the bridge was rotavating a small field that had attracted black redstarts, robins and at least 5 blackcap. From roadway up to Ternelles long range views of 2 vultures, appeared very dark but couldnt identify which species. Later, near gates, a group of 5 vultures together. They were very light brown and assumed to be griffon
David

Yesterday several butterflies seen in the warm afternoon including Little blue,Speckled wood and Small Tortoiseshell (reported).
Mike

Hi Mike
Just a quick question and a comment
Which species do you mean by 'Little Blue'?
Small Tortoiseshell isn't a species that's been recorded in the Balearic Islands, so I wonder what was seen.
Martin

Last edited:
Hi Martin
I heard from another member of the group about the tortoiseshell and challenged him. I also shared doubts.
Sorry the blue was moving fast and did not settle. More than likely HollyBlue.
Mike

Hi Martin
I heard from another member of the group about the tortoiseshell and challenged him. I also shared doubts.
Sorry the blue was moving fast and did not settle. More than likely HollyBlue.
Mike

I wondered if you might have meant Small Blue, which also does not occur there. Yes, I would think Holly Blue to be the most likely.

Good to know there are some Lepidoptera about. Yet to see one here in the UK, although some have been seen during the last few sunny days.

Martin

Spent half an hour this morning scanning the field at Llenaire... nothing. Went back at 6pm tonight, 14 stone curlews at the back in among the trees. In between went to Can Cuarassa, Albufereta, Cami des Polls, S'Amarador and then to Depuradora where I had the pleasure of spending time with Pep Manchado. Watched an osprey diving in to the bay 3 times opposite the entrance to Albufereta before it gave up and headed in the direction of Albufera. At least a dozen sandwich terns in the same area fishing close to the beach. That's it for another visit, travelling home tomorrow. Hope to be back soon
David

Good trip Back David. Pleasure to meet you and best of luck with appartment.
I have to go back this week as well due to family problems.
Many thanks to all for a great time. Special thanks to Pep, Carlos, Kevin and Mike.
See you soon

Mike

A nice walk along the seafront of Palma with my unsuspecting wife who didn’t know there was a splendid adult winter Mediterranean Gull, which had been found earlier by Toni, lurking on the rocks nearby. I feigned surprise when I saw it. I’m not sure if she rumbled me or not but either way, it’s a very smart gull to see.
Also a Red-breasted Merganser nearby but it/they do move around quite a bit.
Mike

Attachments

• E4DC0F41-5D67-458E-B43A-B32389717CF7.jpg
    E4DC0F41-5D67-458E-B43A-B32389717CF7.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Just made it to Pollenca. Wow what a nice island :). Not sure when I'm gonna get a chance to get some active birding done, but nice pale morph Booted Eagle just south of Pollenca en route.

A brief visit to Salobrar de Campos this afternoon. As soon as I arrived I heard that haunting call of Common Cranes. I saw three flying but could not locate any others which were clearly calling after the other birds had gone so I can only assume that there are still some roosting in the area. I have a distant photo of some in the fields at the back of the reserve.
Numbers of passing Shearwaters should be increasing at the moment but my last three visits have produced quite the opposite with 1,700+, 204 and 113 tonight. I just don’t get it.
I’m not sure I have ever said but the best time for seabirds is one hour before dusk. Before this time there can be nothing.
Mornings can also be good from dawn but I’m not often seawatching at that time.
It seems that there are probably three different Mediterranean gulls at Portixol. Mike Swiss will hopefully post his photo of a bird in more advanced plumage, coming into adult summer with that lovely black cap.
Mike

I forgot to say that one distant Harrier I saw at Salobrar today looked slimmer than the accompanying Marsh Harrier and when I processed my photos I see that I managed to get a chance photo confirming Hen Harrier when I was trying to photograph the Cranes.
Sometimes luck is on our side. Mike

As the master requested.
Additional birds seen along coast at Portixol included Audouins Gulls, Shags, Cormorant, Turnstone, Sndwich terns and Red Breasted Merganser.
I am going to miss this island. Cannot wait to be back for Spring migration.
Mike

Attachments

• E16700B2-A9FC-4F91-ACA5-721AA319CA3F.jpeg
    E16700B2-A9FC-4F91-ACA5-721AA319CA3F.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 37
  • F8119A98-6F29-4282-B5EA-41C368ABCC34.jpeg
    F8119A98-6F29-4282-B5EA-41C368ABCC34.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 6E0F4BB4-E618-43A0-A4D1-B6907E19FFF0.jpeg
    6E0F4BB4-E618-43A0-A4D1-B6907E19FFF0.jpeg
    439.1 KB · Views: 36
A slow walk around the salt pans with some Dutch visitors was delightful this morning on this calm sunny day.
Loads of raptors including many Marsh harriers doing all sorts of aerial dancing, a joy to watch. Many Red Kites too and a Booted Eagle.
Still good numbers of Flamingoes and a few Shoveler present too.
Curlew, Cattle and Little egrets and some of the smaller waders too, mostly Kentish plovers and Little stints.
The visitors also heard a Bluethroat but sadly no sighting.
No sight nor sound of the Common Cranes from last night. They may have left early as they usuallly do, so they may well be back to roost tonight.
Just as we were leaving Andrés messaged some Red-breasted Mergansers. Two have been present every visit recently.
A House Martin flew through too.
Mike.

Nothing of note for the locals, but 2 male Balearic Warblers seen in usual section of Boquer valley today, including a display flight alongside main track at around midday. Hoopoe in the
car park too. B :). Loving Mallorca

Last edited:
Thanks Larry, glad you are enjoying Mallorca.
It’s amazing just how tame the Alpine Accentors are, we almost had one feeding from our hands last year. Super birds.
Mike

I am going away to the USA tomorrow for one month.
I know that quite a few birders are coming to Mallorca in April so I will do my best to keep this thread alive whilst I’m away.
I do hope anyone with information or sightings will post here in my absence.
I also hope that any rarities will wait until I’m back before putting in an appearance.
Have fun, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back