• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (30 Viewers)

In a couple of hours at the Moors to 6 p.m. I saw nothing to add to the above apart from a singing Cetti's in the sluice area. Mistle Thrush was still s8ng8ng as was a single Chaffinch by the North Moors hide. Two L.Egrets flew towards the ER at dusk.

Today 18 of us prepared Amy's Marsh for the forthcoming breeding season .
This included us planting many clumps of juncus on snipe island. This was dug up from the season pool and transported to the east bank and finally on the island via a bridge in the form of the aluminium boat. Once it takes hold the island will have enough cover for breeding species hopefully lapwing. The island will also be less prone to erosion as the juncus will hopefully hold the soil in place.
Also today we used three brush cutters to cut back large areas of bramble and rank vegetation. Stands of reed has encroached along the Eastern arm of the Broadmeadow Pool and up the bank behind the sand Martin bank. This has reduced the available grazing areas for cattle and ultimately wading birds have fewer feeding areas. The reeds and all the brash was burned.The area now looks very open and attractive to a wide range of birds and the flora will also benefit and become more enriched. In two weeks time we will be clearing the Broadmeadow island and the area will then be ready for the breeding season.

Many thanks to the crew and thanks to Tony B and Nick F for the cakes
Alan D. Andy A. Bob G. Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Ian B. John C. Julie W. Keith M. Kim W. Nick F. Paul M. Ray C. Steve S. Terry W. Tony B and me.
:t:john
pics from today
1 The East arm of the Broadmeadow before work started
2. Work in progress East arm cleared ,
3. The view of the Broadmeadow from the southern bank
4. close up of snipe island after having the juncus transplanted
5. View of Snipe island and Broadmeadow after reed bed has been brush cut behind sand martin bank.

Next week we will be working at the Flashes

Attachments

• 1 BR bef WRK 19th Feb 19 DSCF1374.jpg
    1 BR bef WRK 19th Feb 19 DSCF1374.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 3 BR afta wrk 19th Feb 19 DSCF1392.jpg
    3 BR afta wrk 19th Feb 19 DSCF1392.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 4 Snipe Is afta Juncus feb 19 DSCF1405.jpg
    4 Snipe Is afta Juncus feb 19 DSCF1405.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 5 Snipe Is after transplant feb 19 DSCF1397.jpg
    5 Snipe Is after transplant feb 19 DSCF1397.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
From the Flashes first thing this morning Andy P reports:

3 Avocet, 10 Curlew, 65 Lapwing, Shelduck, 60 Teal, 200 BHG, Skylark.

Also at least 4 Little Egret in roost at the Sailing Pool.

From the Moors Pool this morning Des reports:

Yellow-legged Gull (fourth calendar year), 72 Pochard, 13 Shoveler, 15 Teal, 11 Snipe, 3 Oystercatchers, 2 Little Egrets.

Can't believe it's taken over seven weeks into the year to get our fourth species of gull!

Today's highlights:

MOORS/ED RES*
Pochard (92)------------------------Yellow-legged Gull (4th cal year). Present on and off for 10 minutes.
Teal (27)-------------------------------Shoveler (18)
Gadwall (4)----------------------------Shelduck (6)
Tufted Duck (46)----------------------Snipe (11). 17 reported by AJP.
Oystercatcher (3)---------------------Lapwing (c140)
Herring Gull (2)-----------------------B H Gull (c250)
G C Grebe (2)-------------------------Little Grebe (2)
Cormorant (13)-----------------------Coal Tit (1)
Cetti's Warbler (2)--------------------Pheasant
L B B Gull (2)-------------------------Treecreeper*
Harris Hawk. Photographed by Jill Orme from the North Moors hide, flying south. It was relocated in a tree near Hobden Hall farm before it returned to its home along the A38 where travellers are camped.

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*
Avocet (3)-----------------------------Tufted Duck (18)*
Curlew (10)---------------------------G C Grebe (8)*
Little Egret (9)* roosting this evening.

Des.

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

MOORS/ED RES*
Pochard (92)------------------------Yellow-legged Gull (4th cal year). Present on and off for 10 minutes.
Teal (27)-------------------------------Shoveler (18)
Gadwall (4)----------------------------Shelduck (6)
Tufted Duck (46)----------------------Snipe (11). 17 reported by AJP.
Oystercatcher (3)---------------------Lapwing (c140)
Herring Gull (2)-----------------------B H Gull (c250)
G C Grebe (2)-------------------------Little Grebe (2)
Cormorant (13)-----------------------Coal Tit (1)
Cetti's Warbler (2)--------------------Pheasant
L B B Gull (2)-------------------------Treecreeper*
Harris Hawk. Photographed by Jill Orme from the North Moors hide, flying south. It was relocated in a tree near Hobden Hall farm before it returned to its home along the A38 where travellers are camped.

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*
Avocet (3)-----------------------------Tufted Duck (18)*
Curlew (10)---------------------------G C Grebe (8)*
Little Egret (9)* roosting this evening.

Des.

Hi Des. where the egrets roosting on the Sailing pool and what time were they in. I checked the NW corner ( in front of the garage - when looking from our gate to the FLASHES) last night &didn't see any.
John:t:

Hi Des. where the egrets roosting on the Sailing pool and what time were they in. I checked the NW corner ( in front of the garage - when looking from our gate to the FLASHES) last night &didn't see any.

The Egrets in the roost this morning were more to the south west of the Sailing Pool. Between the boats and the farm. No sign of Stone Curlew or Scottish Crossbill today ;)

Hi John. The Egrets were roosting in the NE corner as they always appear to. They were viewed from near the gate to the temporary car park, but it is noticeable that as you move towards the Sailing Centre the Egrets become difficult to see. When you are walking along the southern path to the steps you can't see any Egrets, but they are there.

Tonight, the Egrets were roosting particularly early with five present at 17.00. At dusk there were nine.

Des.

Hi John. The Egrets were roosting in the NE corner as they always appear to. They were viewed from near the gate to the temporary car park, but it is noticeable that as you move towards the Sailing Centre the Egrets become difficult to see. When you are walking along the southern path to the steps you can't see any Egrets, but they are there.

Tonight, the Egrets were roosting particularly early with five present at 17.00. At dusk there were nine.

Des.

Thanks Des..opposite corner to where I have previously seen them . Too dark by time I got to my car :t: jogn

Thanks Des..opposite corner to where I have previously seen them . Too dark by time I got to my car :t: jogn

I've found that even in almost total darkness there is enough light to highlight a cluster of white shapes. It's fortunate that Egrets are so white.

Des.

last hour at the flashes tonight, 1000+ BHG did my best to try and find something with them no luck .3 LBBG giving grief ,1 Snipe 1 Avocet, 12 Curlew, Lapwings, 3 Green sandpiper,Teal, 2 mute swans (3rd Flash) 16 coot,20 starling..
1 BHG 2nd flash
2 all up
3 where have they gone?
4 oh there
5 Curlew Island.

Attachments

• IMG_7792.JPG
    IMG_7792.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7794.JPG
    IMG_7794.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7796.JPG
    IMG_7796.JPG
    367.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7798.JPG
    IMG_7798.JPG
    355.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7799.JPG
    IMG_7799.JPG
    404.2 KB · Views: 39
Ten Little Egrets in Sailing Pool roost this evening - north-east corner, best viewed from overflow car park, anywhere from fishing pegs 23-26.

Pictures from today's visit

A Mistle Thrush in full song, at the top of the tall trees, taken from the causeway.
Stock Dove sprucing itself up in front of the East Hide.
Cormorant looking splendid on a Tern-raft.

Attachments

• Mistle Thrush-3173.jpg
    Mistle Thrush-3173.jpg
    964.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Stock Dove-3136.jpg
    Stock Dove-3136.jpg
    846.4 KB · Views: 49
  • cormorant-3159.jpg
    cormorant-3159.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 55
A Mistle Thrush in full song, at the top of the tall trees, taken from the causeway.
Stock Dove sprucing itself up in front of the East Hide.
Cormorant looking splendid on a Tern-raft.
Same Thrush in a quiet moment!

Attachments

• Mistle Thrush.jpg
    Mistle Thrush.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 45
Flashes 2.30 - 3.30pm

5 sleeping Avocet, 13 Curlew circling, 1 Oyster Catcher, few Teal, 4 Stock Dove,
1 Little Egret Sailing Lake (early rooster!)

Richard

Attachments

• DSCF8297.JPG
    DSCF8297.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 44
Work party TUESDAY 26th February -FLASHES

This will be the last Work Party at the FLASHES this season.
Work:-
Checking for foxes within fox fence.
Constructing wooden screening either side of hide.
Makin a fence line at junction of footpath and SW corner of fox fence ..To stop un-wanted access .
Brush Cutting southern shore of 2nd Flash to open up hidden pools to view from hide.
Creating a habitat bank in front of the hide with lichen covered sleepers.
Please meet at speps to Flashes on south sude of Sailing pool 8.40 am .
Also any vols for cake making8-P
Cheers John
Wellies needed:t: john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back