• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hobby's, from my bicycle (1 Viewer)

Karl J

I'd almost given up hope of seeing one of these for this year around here as i thought they would have followed the swifts & flown south again by now, but i was out pedalling my bike this morning after doing a few much needed repairs and was minding my own business in the sunshine when i came across first 1, but then a total of 3 Hobby's around and just above the treeline not too far from here. The first was close enough to id while i was still riding as it flew right over the road in front of me, but i stopped and watched from the side of the road leant on a gatepost for about half an hour.... certainly one was adult, and one younger (by ref. to Collins id book) but not too sure about the other - i couldn't get all 3 together in the bin's to see, and there was also a Kestrel nearby who twice chased a Hobby away so they clearly aren't the friendliest of neighbours. But it great to watch them with their fast agile little moves, every now and again one would disappear into the treeline somewhere and come back out again a while later. Totally unexpected as well.

So .. nesting site maybe (?) ... have to keep an eye out next spring i think ...

lucky you! its been years since i last saw one, there getting harder to spot. along with merlin, id say they are the lesser common falcons in the country!

I haven't seen a Hobby around here since about May. Merlin I have been luckier with, just one tonight actually.

Karl J said:
I'd almost given up hope of seeing one of these for this year around here as i thought they would have followed the swifts & flown south again by now, but i was out pedalling my bike this morning after doing a few much needed repairs and was minding my own business in the sunshine when i came across first 1, but then a total of 3 Hobby's around and just above the treeline not too far from here. The first was close enough to id while i was still riding as it flew right over the road in front of me, but i stopped and watched from the side of the road leant on a gatepost for about half an hour.... certainly one was adult, and one younger (by ref. to Collins id book) but not too sure about the other - i couldn't get all 3 together in the bin's to see, and there was also a Kestrel nearby who twice chased a Hobby away so they clearly aren't the friendliest of neighbours. But it great to watch them with their fast agile little moves, every now and again one would disappear into the treeline somewhere and come back out again a while later. Totally unexpected as well.

So .. nesting site maybe (?) ... have to keep an eye out next spring i think ...

Not UK but I saw these a few days ago in Germany:

http://rafikiphoto.fotopic.net/p7674684.html et seq

A nice find! I always feel great when I see Hobbies and usually see my first of the year at Exminster Marshes each spring but I have read of loads at Shapwick Heath each spring on passage and I hope to witness this next spring.

Andrew said:
A nice find! I always feel great when I see Hobbies and usually see my first of the year at Exminster Marshes each spring but I have read of loads at Shapwick Heath each spring on passage and I hope to witness this next spring.

I saw this pair each day on my morning and evening walk whilst on holiday at our friends in Wasserberndorf. Whenever I entered that field the Hobbies would begin their alarm calls and, when I didn't go away, one of them would take to the air and circle me calling continuously until I eventually left the area.

IanF said:
I haven't seen a Hobby around here since about May. Merlin I have been luckier with, just one tonight actually.

A plug for my home 'ground' - RSPB Fowlmere Cambs - Hobby reported only a week or so ago catching dragonflys - I haven't seen it...I have to go all the way to Bavaria for that :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back