• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dalian (Jinshitan) Birding Reports (2 Viewers)

Great to hear about your Mandarin skills Lancy, I was skeptical about how much of this could be accomplished without it. You certainly know Dalian well and shouldn't have a problem.

Ive had similar experiences at Laotieshan with the army. It has become more relaxed now but I still used to get stopped quite frequently. I've been checked from Laotieshan all the way to Dandong many times. Apparently some people there think that a foreign spy would be walking around on the ground there with a long range camera and spotting scope in the 21st century. I asked the authorities a few times if they had heard of Google Earth :)

Yes, the dump is open to the public there. It's a nice place to visit in the winter when the smell is all frozen....

So your cat is named Vega after a gull and you chose Lancy after Lanceolated Warblers?

Tom

Hi Tom,
I’ll have to switch to my “Chinese mode”. When I said I would stay overnight in Jinzhou, I forgot how convenient Qing-gui is (and how cheap it is!). I found several ok hotels near Dalian railway station for CAD30 per night. I could be on birding site within 1.5-2h after leaving hotel. Xianglujiao could be another place to stay. There is a Qing-gui station and some interesting markets/stripe malls, or used to be some.
I’m a mandarin speaker but locals would know I’m NOT from there. I tried to learn their accent but it was too hard. I might be asked to pay a little more for something like taxi fare especially outside Dalian city, but no need to tip the driver would compensate it.
I will get a mask before going into the dump. My birding partner suggested me to print a photo of Vega (gull) on a T-shirt for Vega (cat). I should have a Lanceolated Warbler T-shirt for myself. I think one or two may appear in Dalian during my stay but am not sure if I would be in right place.
Lancy

Hi fellows.

I just got back from my day trip to Jinshitan. Friends of my wife were going anyway to settle a real estate deal and offered to let us hitch a ride. Hence I had to settle for what I got as far as birding spots, but it worked out well.

Lancy, I don't know how long it has been since you were there, but it was 17 years for me and it was almost completely unrecognizable. We lived at KaiFaQu for 9 months back in 2000-2001 when I taught for the Maple Leaf School and we both couldn't even figure out where we were. Jinshitan was just a dirty little village back then and now it looks more like a district of Shanghai!

The Vega and Mongolian Gulls are almost always to be found at Gedalou. Usually working the fish ponds along the edges of the lake. As Tom said the Mongolians are mostly gone by then though.

Back in 2001 I was for some reason sold a train ticket from Dalian to Shenyang that when I boarded was a completely empty car. One stop down the line it turned out it was a troop transport. When the troops started getting too friendly a couple of officers came and sat with me to put a stop to it. A few years ago I ended up in a hard sleeper car berthed in with a North Korean performance group of some sort. One of them tried striking up a conversation in Russian. I was able to correct her in Chinese that I was not Russian, I was American. There were about 10 people crowded around interested and they all immediately got horrified looks on their faces and pulled back like I was going to eat them. One of them ran off and their handler showed up shortly and he was not happy. When he complained to the conductor she initially basically told him Mao Ban Fa - There is nothing to be done about it. She eventually gave in and moved me to another berth.

The police used to follow me around here when I first started birding, but it apparently got boring as they don't even look twice at me now. In fact police Sgt Wang that I register with has gotten quite friendly and gave me his cell number and told me if I had any problems with anyone have them talk to him.

My last visit to Dalian was 8 years ago but a place in China may have changed unrecognizable in 8 months! I did some Baidu streetview last night. Fortunately, the city itself is looking familiar. Most old buildings I know still stand. Some have new functions though.
Congratulations on your new tics in Jinshitan, especially Black-tailed Gull! (Sorry for my bias 8-P)
It seems like I should turn every stone in Gedalou. So much potential!

My first Dalian post is from Heishijiao (Black rock). I went there this afternoon after checking into my hotel. There were Black-tailed Gulls. I did manage to see all ages but the youngest ones were too far for decent photos. One ticked. I may not need to specifically look for them any more but spend some late afternoons in Heishijiao after other birding activities. That means, I may have some time for other birds and may check places like Jinshitan or Lvshun.
Here is today's list:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45855244

Jinzhou dump and beach, May-21-2018

The dump itself was fenced and not open to the public. The security guy kindly showed me a gravel road around the dump. You can see the dump and the beach from there. Actually, the road is just on the other side of the fence.
There were lots of Great-tailed Gulls and I found one with color aberration. At first glance, I thought I had a Glaucous or Iceland. It was not albino or leucistic as there was still trace of dark on primaries and tail. I haven't decided the age but feel it's not a 1st cycle bird (hatched last year).
While looking through the other flock of gulls, I noticed two white ducks. It was 200-300m away but the color pattern matched Common Shelduck. As it would be a lifer for me, I walked to the other side of the beach and got a better look. The distance was still about 100m, though.
Then, I found a large-ish shorebird on the river bank. It was a Gray-headed Lapwing. Surprise! Not far away, two Little-ringed Plovers were vocal.
I tried very hard but didn't spot a Herring-type Gull. It's just not a right time of year, I think. I'll try the area between Laohutan (Tiger beach) and Lingjiao bay tomorrow, if the thunder storm stops. I also wish to see Mandarin Duck there. It would be easier to get it in Summer Palace in Beijing but I doubt if I would have time for that trip.
Full list here and more photo of the White(black)-tailed Gull:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45887304

Attachments

• P5200089.jpg
    P5200089.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 96
  • P5210367.jpg
    P5210367.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 97
  • P5210339.jpg
    P5210339.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 46
Dalian Bay was not birdy today. A Great Crested Grebe was a first for me in Dalian. A singing Oriental Greenfinch was chased away by a magpie.
What I found was Baidu map is as good as Google map. Using it, I found a bus running from near Jinzhou dump to Jinmalu subway (now light train is also called subway in Dalian) station. Another one from Binhai park at Dalian Bay to Kaifaqu station. The only issue is you have to read and write in Mandarin.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45892811

Hi Lancy, very interesting Black-tailed Gull indeed. I've seen one other leucistic one there before.
I'm shocked at how empty Dalian Bay was for you.

Heading to bed now.
Tom

Hi Lancy, very interesting Black-tailed Gull indeed. I've seen one other leucistic one there before.
I'm shocked at how empty Dalian Bay was for you.

Heading to bed now.
Tom

Hi Tom,
It was very imteresting. I see thousands of gulls in Newfoundland every year but this is my first color aberration one. It did not add anything to my lists but I'd call it the bird of my day. I'd love to see the photo of your one. If they look similar and mine was an adult, which I have to spend some time to determine, they could be the same bird. Gulls tend to live long lives.
Rain hasn't stopped yet but I can't waste more time. On bus route 2 to Tiger beach. I remember some places along Binghai Rd there look similar to the HERG breeding habitat in Newfoundland.
Lancy

Tiger beach to Fu's village (Fu Jia Zhuang), May-22-2018

Rain didn't stop at noon and I decided to go out anyway. When I arrived at Tiger beach, weather started getting better and soon the rain stopped. There is a river running into the sea there and I was hoping that area would generate something. A Mandarin duck was kinda expected as this species had been reported there before. Ruddy Shelduck was not if my memory served. The one and only 2nd calendar year Black-tailed Gull was not too far but not as close as those older ones.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45923329
I kept walking along Bin Hai Rd to the west. Some White-browed Laughingthrush were calling loudly. I stopped whenever I heard Japanese Tit. Back home, Black-capped Chickadee tends to attract something. I hoped Japanese tit would do the same. Not sure if that was the case, but a Meadow Bunting was spotted nor far from a Japanese tit. While I was watching it, a large bird popped out for 2 seconds and offered me a decent look before heading back to the woods. It was a Red-billed Blue-Magpie. Another one was seen down the road. I managed to get one ID shot. This species is tagged as sensitive by eBird so I'm not sure if the photo with my check list is visible. I attached one here.
It was a nice walk, bringing some good memories back.
Crested Myna is not countable and I listed it as Bird sp..
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45924159

Attachments

• P5220548.jpg
    P5220548.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Hi Lancy,

The Tiger Beach area is very underbirded (actually the whole city is).

The Red-billed Blue Magpie photo is very good for ID. There is/was a bird park along the Bin Hai Lu near Tiger Beach and some things have escaped. White-browed Laughingthrush, Chinese Huamei, Red-billed Leiothrix, to name a few... Azure-winged Magpie, rare elsewhere in Dalian, can sometimes be seen along that road as well. I know what you mean about the scenery there, gorgeous just like Nfld in some places. Red-billed Blue Magpie would be listed as sensitive because they draw photographers. In China, I'm sure the photographers all know about them already.

It's difficult to say what can be countable and not in an area. Crested Myna breed in the Dalian area and migrate in large numbers through Laotieshan in the fall. When can something start to be counted?

I'n surprised that a pair of Ruddy Shelduck are still there in late May.

If I were you, I would head to Jinshitan and find a local black cab or motorcycle to take you out to the wetlands a little north of town in the coastal road. Private message me and I can send you a phone number that can help there.

Hi Lancy,

The Tiger Beach area is very underbirded (actually the whole city is).

The Red-billed Blue Magpie photo is very good for ID. There is/was a bird park along the Bin Hai Lu near Tiger Beach and some things have escaped. White-browed Laughingthrush, Chinese Huamei, Red-billed Leiothrix, to name a few... Azure-winged Magpie, rare elsewhere in Dalian, can sometimes be seen along that road as well. I know what you mean about the scenery there, gorgeous just like Nfld in some places. Red-billed Blue Magpie would be listed as sensitive because they draw photographers. In China, I'm sure the photographers all know about them already.

It's difficult to say what can be countable and not in an area. Crested Myna breed in the Dalian area and migrate in large numbers through Laotieshan in the fall. When can something start to be counted?

I'n surprised that a pair of Ruddy Shelduck are still there in late May.

If I were you, I would head to Jinshitan and find a local black cab or motorcycle to take you out to the wetlands a little north of town in the coastal road. Private message me and I can send you a phone number that can help there.

I was invited by a sales guy to the bird park (Bird singing forest). He said I'd get better photos there.
Avibase included Myna in their Liaoning checklist. I'd go with it. It's too complicated for me to figure the "to count or not to count" question.
I was searching Ruddy Shelduck in Hun He river in Shenyang, hoping there would be some leftover. Zero. I'm glad to tick it in Dalian.

I was "taken" to see the two seas boundary today. It was a good view. They have a small zoo and keep some birds there. The peacocks were loud.
I did some casual birding. Blue Rock Thrush is a new tick. A Little Egret was walking on the beach. I saw a raptor (one of my biggest challenges, if not the biggest). I included my description and two poor photos with my eBird list.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45948633

Lancy, that place where the two seas meet is Laotieshan - one of the premier raptor watching points in east Asia in the fall. If you were there in early morning this time of year you would be shocked at how many passerines you would find in the bushes there. It's tailing off now but late April and early May are the best times there in the spring. In the fall, high counts of thousands of Oriental Honey Buzzard migrate south through that point.

Lancy, that place where the two seas meet is Laotieshan - one of the premier raptor watching points in east Asia in the fall. If you were there in early morning this time of year you would be shocked at how many passerines you would find in the bushes there. It's tailing off now but late April and early May are the best times there in the spring. In the fall, high counts of thousands of Oriental Honey Buzzard migrate south through that point.

We went in the middle of the day and it was warm and windy. Not much activity. The domesticated peacocks were active. I will choose a better time of year to visit Dalian next time.
Yesterday, I spent a couple of hours in Dalian zoo, watching pandas, before leaving. I did notice there were Azure-winged magpies and a good number of Creasted Myna. They were taking advantage of the food supply by the zoo.
Something unusual was a pair Ruddy Shelducks were sharing territory with black bears. I was not sure if a zoo would set up like that. Another pair was seen in the waterfowl pond. They had two ducklings and at least one of the parents was able to fly. It chased mallards away. I don't know if they were zoo animals gone wild or wild ones been tamed.

Attachments

• P5240453.jpg
    P5240453.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 27
  • P5240383.jpg
    P5240383.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 19
  • P5240443.jpg
    P5240443.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I don't know if they were zoo animals gone wild or wild ones been tamed.

Ah, the domestic or wild question to struggle with! When is it a Rock Dove and when just a domestic Pigeon? Here, are those wild or domesticated Mallard? The crested Myna are one that I go back and forth on. They are not common here but I do see two to four together often enough to think that they have managed to survive the relatively milder winters here and set up a small local population. But then again, maybe just a lot of them get released. Or maybe they are just expanding their range like the Chinese Bulbul and Hoopoe.

Ah, the domestic or wild question to struggle with! When is it a Rock Dove and when just a domestic Pigeon? Here, are those wild or domesticated Mallard? The crested Myna are one that I go back and forth on. They are not common here but I do see two to four together often enough to think that they have managed to survive the relatively milder winters here and set up a small local population. But then again, maybe just a lot of them get released. Or maybe they are just expanding their range like the Chinese Bulbul and Hoopoe.

The problem exists with most if not every zoo, I think. I saw lots of zoo birds without bands in Beijing zoo. Some of them are local species, some are exotic. Some individuals are able to fly. This is not only causing trouble for birders, also has potential impact on local ecosystem if they escaped.:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back