• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Bird watch April 5th add your details here. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
BIRDERS are coming together in a global show of unity against coronavirus.

A ring is being put on the calendar to designate April 5 as the Great Back Yard Birdwatch when tens of thousands of nature lovers locked down around the world by the pandemic will be tallying the wildlife they see.

Whether it is those in self-isolation recording garden birds from inside their homes, or those venturing outdoors on socially-spaced exercise walks, the hope is to celebrate the wonders of wildlife with spring reaching northern climes and autumn arriving in the southern hemisphere.

From Alaska to Zanzibar, nature lovers are being urged to compile checklists, take photographs and share stories of their encounters with birds and other creatures, both great and small, on the BirdForum platform and with the Self Isolating Bird Club.

BirdForum – the net’s largest birding community – has joined forces with the social media group set up by wellknown television presenter Chris Packham to lift spirits, combat loneliness and connect with wildlife from a safe distance.

On both sides of the Atlantic migrant species are now arriving from their wintering grounds to seek out nesting territories. In Europe, wheatears, flycatchers and hirundines are navigating the Sahara to start making landfall in coming weeks.

Their journeys are being mirrored through the Americas, with brightly coloured wood-warblers, tanagers and hosts of shorebirds on the move. Nature’s colourful kaleidoscope is also being accentuated by plants coming into flower and butterflies, bees and other insects on the wing.

Living in a time of pandemic does not stop people enjoying the sights and gaining the physical and mental health benefits of connecting with the natural world, even while having to stay indoors.

Over coming days, BirdForum will continue bringing you more news of the Great Back Yard Birdwatch and how you can post pictures, checklists and personal accounts on our platform as well as the Self Isolating Bird Club’s Twitter and Facebook feeds.

We also hope to forge links with wildlife organisations around the world to show that nature is the best medicine.

Please adhere to the regulations being laid down in your country regarding safe-distancing and self-isolation.

More and details to Follow

Edit your post's here to add your recorded birds.

Wendover Buckinghamsire UK

Halifax king cross West Yorkshire Uk

Not the best view out of the window but enough to see birds

Moseley, Birmingham, UK.

(One bed flat - but lots of trees in view!)

Like me Julie.

Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland

I'll likely walk around the block in the afternoon too.

0745-0845
3 Whooper Swans (house tick) flying NE to SW
1 Blue Tit
Flock of Starlings
1 Herring Gull
1 Male Blackbird
1 Wood Pigeon
1 Carrion Crow
1 Robin (on my window sill)
1 House Sparrow (in window feeder)

I'm in. Banbury suburbs, Oxon UK. Tree-lined road corridor, patch of grass, trees and shrubs and a lot of sky.

I'll try to do something for this. Top floor flat in Torry, Aberdeen. Not much of a garden but views out to sea and over the city. A house list of over 100! I could also include my exercise walk in the area (60 species recorded on something similar today).

Count me in!
Lam Tsuen, Hong Kong.
Hopefully we won't be under enforced lockdown, but I'll stay home anyway, in solidarity with those of you who are.

Bremerton, Wa., U.S. Plenty of common yard birds at the feeders. And we are able to get out a little. I'll try to remember. :)

The Brecks, Norfolk - within 10 mins walk, meadow, river, forest and a wildlife garden with lots of sky!

Ipswich, Suffolk, UK. Urban back garden. A park is a few minutes walk nearby although I haven't been there since lockdown.

Gi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back