• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK dragonfly & damselfly sightings 2020 (1 Viewer)

Think you're unlikely to find any in the latter habitat. Seems to be a lowland species which in the south-east is found around lakes/large ponds with good amounts of reeds or similar emergent vegetation; even wide channels between reeds. I've found them locally in the last couple of weeks where I wasn't aware they occurred- one of the upsides to the lockdown!

Basingstoke Canal is one of the good places to look round here and although they do venture into the centre their patrol lines tend to be up and down the reedy/rushy banks for the most part.

John

Good advice, thanks. I thought I'd heard the word 'canals' in association with the species before; possibly during your year list account last year, John? Anyhow, swings and roundabouts, I might struggle to find the habitat you're describing where I'm going at the weekend, but I've just had confirmation there's Emperor moths at that site.

Cheers, lads

I'm amazed at how many of these seem to turn up & presumably many more than go unreported. I'm pleased Dave covered this in the most recent update to his UK photo guide.

Look forward to his European version due later in the year.

I've just received my copy of "Europe's Dragonflies" - Smallshire & Swash. It's very good.

I didn't expect to be in range for Hairy Dragonfly at this time of year, but it turns out there's a couple of little dots on the map a few miles west of Durham that I'm thinking of exploring next week when I get a chance to get out and the weather warms up again. I've never seen Hairy Dragonfly before. Can any of the experts give me any tips as to what sort of habitat and what elevation I should be looking, please. I say 'elevation' because one of my plans is to be on some raised fells a 100m or so above sea level to look for other bits and bobs (mainly Emperor Moth). Should I be looking at ditches and streams at sea level and forget about acidic, moorland boggy types of environments? Thanks.

I looked in NBN for Durham and contiguous vice-counties and the most recent record of Hairy Dragonfly was one on 1.9.1991 (unusually late in the year!). I looked in iRecord for the same area and there is just one accepted record - at a site west of Scarborough in June 2019. So you might not have much luck!

Last edited:
I looked in NBN for Durham and contiguous vice-counties and the most recent record of Hairy Dragonfly was one on 1.9.1991 (unusually late in the year!). I looked in iRecord for the same area and there is just one accepted record - at a site west of Scarborough in June 2019. So you might not have much luck!

Many thanks for that, Paul. I appreciate your expert advice. In a normal year I would have been in reach of Stover Ponds in Devon where I hoped to have seen HD by now, but it can wait until next year. As I say, the maps I saw for Emperor Moth suggested I was going to be just outside the species known range west of Durham City, but a mate of mine said he was up at the site I was going to go looking on spec at the weekend and he said there's a noticeboard up in the car park there with a picture of an Emperor Moth on it. I've not seen more than a handful of Four-spotted Chasers since I started taking dragonflies more seriously a couple of summers ago and I'll be happy just getting a chance to watch a few more of them. :t:

Immature Keeled Skimmer on 12.05.20 at Copythorne Common (Hants) - info and photo on the Southampton Wildlife FB group. Another earliest ever date gone for VC11!

Think you're unlikely to find any in the latter habitat. Seems to be a lowland species which in the south-east is found around lakes/large ponds with good amounts of reeds or similar emergent vegetation; even wide channels between reeds. I've found them locally in the last couple of weeks where I wasn't aware they occurred- one of the upsides to the lockdown!

Hairy D was an exciting patch tick for me in Bristol a few days ago. :t: Can't find any other Bristol records, but they're not too far away (Avonmouth etc).

Good numbers of Southern Damselfly along Shipton Bottom (New Forest) yesterday (18.05.20)

Attachments

• 600E_6753.jpg
    600E_6753.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back