• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breydon Water on a rising tide (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Went up to Breydon this morning to do the incoming rising tide thing, one of the main aims was to try my hand at counting the flocks of 100's of Black-tailed Godwit, Avocet and Golden Plover.

I didn't go 'in search' ..... more just 'wait here and see what turns up' overlooking the eastern mudflat

Unfortunately it turned out the godwit and plover were well camouflaged in amongst the low vegetation so I couldn't even attempt those, but the Avocet went somewhat better. The timing was right to see the flock flying in, in small groups of birds over about 30 mins which was quite a sight, something I haven't watched before.

After making several attempted counts using various methods (counting individually, counting in 20's & 50's, box-counting ) I settled on totals of between 470 & 550 for different methods. So I think about 500 is an estimate of their number.

Does that number sound reasonable ?

........ Having said that, I really hope Birdwatching Mag doesn't turn round and say theres only 150 when it comes out in late Sept !

On top of that the other highlights were :

Greenshank x 5
Grey Plover ... x 2 in particularly striking summer plumage
Little Egret x 2
Kingfisher x 1 .... first one I've seen on Breydon. A good view of it inflight, perched on a post, hovering and plunging into the dyke.

The massed flock of waders - Ringed Plover, Blk tail Godwit, Lapwing, Redshank, Golden Plover, Dunlin, Curlew, Whimbrel, gulls + the above-mentioned Avocet was a real spectacle when they all startled up in flight. Amazing just how many there are when they all go up.

A very good couple of hours.

Hi Carlos,sounds like a good morning was had;I really enjoyed my trip there last week.Back in the 'Smoke' now though,so just memories of the massed ranks of waders.

I can well believe your count of Avocet,my estimate was 200+ a week ago and I'm sure that was conservative.

Interesting to note your Kingfisher as I hadn't expected one in that habitat.

Carlos GY said:
[
A very good couple of hours. [/B]

I should say so!. Yes 500 is a good Avocet estimate.

Congrats on your effort. BTW I counted one thousand Goldies there last week

I hope you will be sending me a list for my web site

Colin J.

Yes Colin, last Sunday the goldie plover ( and the godwits ) were all out on the mud, both in big massed flocks .... but they weren't playing ball today !

Guess if they had been then I mightn't have seen the Kingfisher. I never expected to see it there either Grousemoor, further along in the quiet dykes maybe but not right near the first hide.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back