• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion on Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 (1 Viewer)

I've noticed that a lot of these threads get driven into the ground by the same opinion being posted every other post by the same person. Is it all about having the last word? I wish folks could exercise a little more self restraint. and I don't mean you Gwen.

-Bill

Originally Posted by [email protected]
"That depends on your priorities. If you like a big FOV and a lighter weight, smaller binocular the HG wins! It is all about personal preference."

...not a good thing to delete posts that have already been cited, could cause confusion ... that such a thing works at all ...?

Andreas

MHG vs EDG

I was going to comment on this in the Birdfair thread, but here will do just fine. I had a really good look at the 10x42 HG this time round as I thought I hadn't given it a proper trial the last time. There's a lot to like about it and it ticks some really desirable boxes - excellent field of view, edge sharpness (thanks to field flatteners), easy handling and so on. I thought the 10x42 especially a really effective birding tool and if you arrived at a birding spot anywhere in the world without binoculars and were handed one of these, you'd have a great birding day, or week, or month with them, no question about it. In having said that, though...

... Nikon had EDGs on the stand not far away (another binocular I had not really tried properly on my last visit) and with not many folks in the Nikon area I had a really good opportunity for almost half an hour to look through one, then the other, and go back and forth between them and really analyze them. In short the view through the EDG was indisputably better - for me at least but I'd be willing to bet the majority of experienced binocular users would come down on the side of the EDG as well. Obviously the price difference between the two means that comparing the two is not exactly apples vs apples, but the difference was there, and quite noticeable when switching from one to the other at that, although I did find my eyes would rapidly adjust to the Monarch HG. I found the EDG image is a touch brighter, but more importantly cleaner, and colour rendition more pleasing, with richer colours. Edge performance was better and I could (or at least it felt as though I could) perceive more detail even though when tested for sharpness against leaves and branches in distant trees there seemed to be very little difference. The edge sharpness of the EDG seemed to compensate adequately for the smaller actual field of view compared to the MHG (I've noticed the same when using other flat field binoculars such as the 8.5x42 SV). I like the Monarch HG a lot, but in summation... good though it is, it isn't an alpha, while the EDG is. But at something like twice the price it damn well should be. It certainly isn't twice as good! The Monarch HG is easily "good enough" for me - make that more than good enough - and a good many more folks can justify spending what one costs compared to the EG. But if a fairy godmother were to give me the choice of one, with part of the deal being that if I attempted to sell it it'd vanish - it'd be the EDG every time, without question.

PS. The Monarch HG, Conquest HD, Meostar HD and Canon 10x42 IS (without stabillization) made for a really interesting group of binoculars to compare. I'd planned to do that in the Birdfair thread but work keeps getting in the way. There is some real talent in that sub-alpha corner of the market.

Last edited:
Hello Padudo,

very nice report ... thank you!

... but how do you measure twice as good?
And, does a twice as expensive car always drive twice as fast as a half that expensive car?
Or does it just have other advantages that justify the extra cost?
For binoculars, it's the last 10% that make up twice the price, but that percent can choose "Like" or "Not."
The question, which is twice as expensive and twice as good, can not be answered with binoculars because it is always subjectivity!
But I agree with you that EDG is visibly better if twice as good is left to each one alone.

Andreas

Arguing about the EDG's is mute point because they have been discontinued because Nikon never sold many of them.

... Then why do you keep posting in this thread?

When folks that own and USE the binocular in question say something positive about it, what is the point of you REPEATING your same opinions ad nauseum?
You no longer own, or use, the binoculars in question.

Do you assume these people are ignorant or inexperienced?

Are they not entitled to their opinion? You've already stated yours numerous times in the same thread.

... Then why do you keep posting in this thread?

When folks that own and USE the binocular in question say something positive about it, what is the point of you REPEATING your same opinions ad nauseum?
You no longer own, or use, the binoculars in question.

Do you assume these people are ignorant or inexperienced?

Are they not entitled to their opinion? You've already stated yours numerous times in the same thread.

The post you've quoted an extract from has again been magically removed. I was actually going to respond and quote the entire text but chose to refrain. That said I'm somewhat inline with your sentiment Bill. I guess that anyone who reads this forum more than once quickly becomes accustomed to Dennis, I guess he's actively passionate amongst other things.
I have no reservations regarding the EDG, my 8x32 is my clear favourite in my collection. The full range is still available in my country in store and had I the money I would collect an 8x42 while still available regardless of it going EOL, warranty or any other reasons. Another EDG if I were to be so frivolous would be my top pick over any of the alphas.

Dennis' protocol is exactly the same every time.......

Whatever bino he owns is "the best" one made, and subject to change and probably will. When he buys a new model on the 'net, the review will again tell us how great this new model is, then it will be for sale shortly on ebay, followed by his comments on here about it's shortcomings.

I'm a bit confused here, partly by trying to follow a thread that's disappearing in smoke like the tape on Mission Impossible, but also by the EDG itself. It's discontinued, but Nikon was still showing it last month at Birdfair? Is there any word of a replacement? The MHG can't be that. (Nor the WX obviously.)

I'm a bit confused here, partly by trying to follow a thread that's disappearing in smoke like the tape on Mission Impossible, but also by the EDG itself. It's discontinued, but Nikon was still showing it last month at Birdfair? Is there any word of a replacement? The MHG can't be that. (Nor the WX obviously.)

Perhaps because the EDG was mentioned in the OP. I guess the more desirable binoculars started to steal the show in the thread?
While being discontinued (?), they are still available here. Unfortunately my thoughts are that the MHG is set to become Nikon's top dog likely because of sales and marketing rather than performance. I hope I'm wrong because the lack of the EDG will be a real loss.
Certainly the MHG competes nicely with the likes of the Conquest HD (same price point here) and with a few differences (wide FOV and low weight) brings something a little different options wise.
While budget permitting I'd always choose an EDG over an MHG, Nikon may well have other (business) ideas about what they're willing to put into their binoculars.

Glad you like it SeldomPerched. You are also backed up by Swaro's world class customer service, which gives us Swaro owners real peace of mind. The other alpha maker's CS departments can't come close.

Glad you like it SeldomPerched. You are also backed up by Swaro's world class customer service, which gives us Swaro owners real peace of mind. The other alpha maker's CS departments can't come close.

To add to what you say about service back-up, the local shop staff were also raving about a trip they took to the Swarovski factory as well as S's consistently high hit rate for manufacturing accuracy.

To finish off, as this is a Nikon thread, Nikon is a firm that has consistently impressed me; not a single product of theirs has ever let me down or shown poor mechanical or cosmetic quality over several decades. Well, there was one exception but it was instantly repaired out of warranty free of charge as a known and admitted defect.

Tom

Last edited:
Here in the US, MHGs are on sale with a $100 instant rebate through 10/13/19. We also have some factory refurbished units at $150 off. These have only been used at trade shows, then refurbished by Nikon. Sold with full warranty.

That brings up my other issue I want to discuss here. Earlier this year, we had two different customers who had purchased EDG 10x42s a few years prior, who then needed repairs. EDGs are now completely gone from the US. Nikon did not have the parts to help either customer, nor did they have an alpha binocular for replacement, so they refunded the entire purchase price to each of them! Both ended up with Zeiss SFs, courtesy of the Nikon warranty.

To finish off, as this is a Nikon thread, Nikon is a firm that has consistently impressed me; not a single product of theirs has ever let me down or shown poor mechanical or cosmetic quality over several decades. Well, there was one exception but it was instantly repaired out of warranty free of charge as a known and admitted defect.

Tom

Can only note that this is my experience as well, all my Nikon gear has performed flawlessly, despite sometimes abusive treatment.
So I too very much regret that Nikon has pulled back from the sport optics market and is no longer offering the EDG line.

I use the Monarch HG 8x42 as my primary binoculars these days. Though I'm writing about 8x42s most will apply to the 10x bin as well.

The overall package... light weight, great ergos, wide field, good mechanics, modern coatings, contrast and color rendition, and moderate price just can't be bettered IMO.

My only (minor) criticism is that they don't come to critical focus as quickly as my Leicas or Zeiss. The focus feel is excellent but just a tad slower getting perfect focus. Once there they are quite sharp.

I give them my unequivocal endorsement.

A bit late to the thread but I tried some HGs and thought they were awesome. Ergonomics perfect for a 10x42 bino. Light and compact but didn’t sacrifice performance. I couldn’t pull the trigger on a set though because I’m so tough on my gear and kinda am looking for no questions asked repairs. Many think I’m crazy. But those repairs add up if you drop or are less than careful.

A bit late to the thread but I tried some HGs and thought they were awesome. Ergonomics perfect for a 10x42 bino. Light and compact but didn’t sacrifice performance. I couldn’t pull the trigger on a set though because I’m so tough on my gear and kinda am looking for no questions asked repairs. Many think I’m crazy. But those repairs add up if you drop or are less than careful.

The Vortex Razor 10x42 is very similar in ergonomics and performance, and Vortex has a lifetime, no-fault, transferable warranty. They will repair or replace as long as there is no malicious damage. There is no warranty card and no need to register.

The Vortex Razor 10x42 is very similar in ergonomics and performance, and Vortex has a lifetime, no-fault, transferable warranty. They will repair or replace as long as there is no malicious damage. There is no warranty card and no need to register.

You are just a seller, don't promote your own favorites.

Vortex, just makes their optics in communist China. Vortex dropped the ball
when they went to the low cost low quality model.

Reports are out there, as QC and more have dropped with Vortex.

Jerry

When I go to Bass Pro/Cabelas, and I am at the counter, the only glass I see in the front case is Vortex; Swaro, Nikon and the rest are at the side. Makes me wonder if Vortex is handing out cash for preferential treatment. I still do not own a single Vortex glass.

Andy w.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back