• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Legend ultra HD Diopter setting , How to Home repair? (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
I bought a pair of Bushnell Legend ultra HD a couple of year ago from a dealer on Ebay. I like them, they are clear and sharp, however, the diopter setting began drifting and eventually it was at then end of its adjustment. I sent them to David Winser at Opticalia in Hamble who returned them readjusted to the centre setting and cleaned for about £40 plus postage. He reported that he couldn't find any reason for their drifting off. They have again drifted of to the end of the settings, I can get any answer to my phone calls to Opticalia. Other repairers are estimating £60+, plus postage. So I thought I would have a go at repairing them myself. It wouldn't upset me unduly if I ended up with a monocular.

So, can anyone tell me how to go about the adjustment of the diopter? I haven't even worked out how to remove the eyecups yet.
I used to be a PC engineer before I retired and repaired laptops amongst other things so I have a little skill in disassembling fidley things.

Note:Bushnell will not repair without a dealer stamped receipt.

Bushnell could possibly be receptive to the notion of replacement if you sent them the bins along w/reciept of the previous repair. Even w/o dealer stamped reciept they surely must be aware of this issue.

I am from thirty minutes of research on the Amazon deal of the day Saturday w/same in 10x42. Which is why, along w/not being dielectric coated, I didn't purchase them. At least that deal seemed to suggest the M model. That and I need another bin as if another hole in my head.

Just a thought.

Legend dioptre

Hello Alan
I used to do all the servicing for the UK Bushnell distributors - J J Vickers and I still have a workshop for optical instruments - see www.actionoptics.co.uk.
Many similar binoculars have the same method for dioptre adjustment but some have tiny grub screws to lock the shaft whilst others don't. They will need a drop of locktite after they have been reset.
You have to remove the rubber covers and open up the rectangular cover plate to access the bottom of the shafts. You don't have to remove the eyepieces. Access to the top of the shafts is through the top of the focus wheel. I think £40 including postage would cover all that.
Or drop it off at the workshop in Hythe, Southampton.

...so the problem is that you needed more and more adjustment until you eventually did run out..right?..could this be related with the loose/broken outer ring reported in many legends HD? Maybe the plastic ring is loose and doesn't engage in the actual mechanism.Units with the broken plastic ring show a metal ring that is the actual diopter setting...If you lift the eyecup...Does the ring show any play?..try to pull the diopter ring up a little,see if look loose.....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back