• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Norway (1 Viewer)

Thank you all!
Juan - lovely sketches from Norway. I've admired your work for some time, and your book "Entre mar y tierra" is high on my wish-list. Actually, I'm going to YOUR wonderful country in just a month, to the far south, where I'll have at least four days to watch birds and hopefully do some sketching. I'm really looking forward to it.
If you return to Norway, it would be an honour to show you some new sites!

Wow, this mallard is wonderfully done. For me, the habitat is captured as expertly as the bird - simply superb!
Tell me, is this the result of the sketcbook, or from aphoto, or a bit of both?

Cheers

Russ

Thank you all!
Juan - lovely sketches from Norway. I've admired your work for some time, and your book "Entre mar y tierra" is high on my wish-list. Actually, I'm going to YOUR wonderful country in just a month, to the far south, where I'll have at least four days to watch birds and hopefully do some sketching. I'm really looking forward to it.
If you return to Norway, it would be an honour to show you some new sites!

Thank you Oivind, let me know if I can be of any help during your visit to Spain. I think I'll be in Madrid most of the time, working in my studio.

Juan: I might ask for some advice on where sketching opportunities are good - I have allready made contact with Jose Sencianes and Antonio Ojea, and recieved useful information.
Russ: This painting is made from a photograph. Sketching opportunities are slim in Oslo presently, with temperatures around zero. I know that doesn't stop everyone, but it has stopped me so far!
Hanna: I've used Arches cold pressed 140 Lb for the shrike, and hot pressed 140Lb for the Mallard. Great website, by the way.

Juan: I might ask for some advice on where sketching opportunities are good - I have allready made contact with Jose Sencianes and Antonio Ojea, and recieved useful information.
Russ: This painting is made from a photograph. Sketching opportunities are slim in Oslo presently, with temperatures around zero. I know that doesn't stop everyone, but it has stopped me so far!
Hanna: I've used Arches cold pressed 140 Lb for the shrike, and hot pressed 140Lb for the Mallard. Great website, by the way.
Sencianes knows well the area of Guadalquivir marshes, so he will be a good guide there. March should be a good month for birdwatching although this year we haven't had much rain and the marshes could be dryer than usual.
I can imagine how difficult can be painting with temperatures below zero, but I had the experience of painting in Southamerican rain forest and wetness and herds of mosquitos can make life quite difficult. A watercolour never gets dry when you have a 90% of humidity and you're sweating like a hog!

As a kind of preparation before my trip to southern Spain in three weeks time, I've tried youtube field sketching tonight. It's actually quite fun, and the closest I can get to the real thing right now. The videos are most of the time crap - which helps me avoid getting into to much details - and unlike in real life I can rewind the birds if I run out of time.
I've chosen a few of the species that I'm likely to come across down there, and tried to finish each sketch within five to ten minutes - most of that time has been used adding the colours.
For the first time, I've tried watercolours on regular (cheap!) drawing paper, and I'm surprised that this works in a way.

http://fugleillustrasjoner.blogspot.com

Attachments

• short-toed.jpg
    short-toed.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 132
  • subalpine.jpg
    subalpine.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 127
  • eagles.jpg
    eagles.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 132
fantastic - if I had to pick a favourite it would be the hovering short-toed eagle - fingers crossed my local pair will be back in a few weeks.

Very nice notes...I have also recently joined the "youtube" field sketch club, definitely a good practice and good to prepare the brain for a particular species encounter..I am now very atracted to Golden Plovers,and want to do a few "Youtube" studies of the species before going back into the field for a real conversation.
..If You are close to Barcelona or Tarragona in Your way to Southern Spain, There are a couple of sketching spots I could show You...

thanks for sharing Your work...

Welcome to the forum, Oivind! It always is amazing and humbling to see the top-rate talent that finds its way here, and your work is certainly right up there at the top. Glad I found this thread, and I am looking forward to getting back to being more active here again.

fantastic - if I had to pick a favourite it would be the hovering short-toed eagle - fingers crossed my local pair will be back in a few weeks.

My favorite as well! I'm familiar as well with various ways to try to familiarize myself with birds before I see them. Might be time to get out my old copy of 'Watching Warblers' and sit down with a sketchpad.

..If You are close to Barcelona or Tarragona in Your way to Southern Spain, There are a couple of sketching spots I could show You...

thanks for sharing Your work...

This time I'll be in the far South, around Tarifa and Doñana. Next time, if I'm close to Barcelona, I will certainly be in touch!
Thank you all for encouraging coments!

Great stuff!
Your watercolour expertise on cheapo paper has really inspired me! When my studies are out the way I'll give it a whirl!
Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your trip!

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back