• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (6 Viewers)

#28 White-faced ibis
Flyover. I live in a pretty small town surrounded by ranch land at the moment, so I should have a good shot at getting some decent flyovers. Hoping for snow geese and/or sandhill cranes in the next month or two. I pretty much whiffed on Raptors during the fall, unfortunately

A flyover Hawfinch at 8.20 followed by a bunting sp? and then never annual....3 Mute Swans South East no.85.

#29- Eastern phoebe
Hopefully goldfinches start arriving here soon. I didn't move to this home until the summer so I have no winter birds.

Honestly have no clue. I've been birding for a few years, but this is the first time I've set out feeders so I don't really know what to expect. I spend a fair amount of time relaxing on the patio with the binoculars handy, so if I could hit 40 by the end of the year, that would be great. We will be in this house until December 2020, so I'm hoping to get to 50 before we move out.

Hookem, I'm sure you get at least double of that - maybe even triple. (I have never been in Texas, but I think you have there much more birds than we have here.)

Speaking of the yard ticks, I'm in last year's record for:

#72. Brent Goose - I was collecting my morning post, when heard burbling gaggle from sky - which was totally dark, so I couldn't see nothing. I was pretty sure what they were and when I listening Brents from Xeno Canto I was sure. B :)

Congratulations Wari!
Still very quiet here in terms of new ones for the year, still I managed 24 species in an early morning hour and a half today ( and two more since!) so there’s still plenty to see.

New record has been born!

#73. Jay - :D

Congratulations Wari! That didn't take long....now don't go getting too many more or you'll have an even higher total to beat next year!

Meanwhile....nothing new here in a month and a half. I'm still 9 off equalling my record - need to get a shift on! I've had some nice new ones on my green patch lately, so no complaints.

Congratulations Wari! That didn't take long....now don't go getting too many more or you'll have an even higher total to beat next year!

That's true... But what can you do when they just keep coming? :eek!:

#74. Hawfinch - This was just a second time I saw this in my garden. :king: (Last time I saw this was maybe 2015 or something like that.) Also it was a year tick for me.

PS. Today has been ambivalent day: In addition to the new garden tick, I manage to see Kingfisher in local wetland. My first in Finland. But then - I backed my car in the ditch and broke down the exhaust pipe... (o)<
PPS. Just noticed when looking out of window: the First snow

Attachments

• ababP1260541.jpg
    ababP1260541.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
My partner moved to a new place just north of Falmouth at the end of the summer, and whilst I'm kinda there full time, haven't been keeping a proper list yet (was going to in the new year) - noted a few interesting things over such as Peregrine, Linnet, Grey Wag etc, nice but regular in the area. Today added a barrel-rolling Raven, and was just outside bringing the washing in, and lost in thought thinking about doing the garden list when a long-billed wader flew over, fast and direct. First thought was it would be a Curlew, but then quickly realised it was a godwit - Black-tailed!! Unexpected and not one I'd be that likely to get again, so thought I'd better get it in and on the all-time garden list!

That's true... But what can you do when they just keep coming? :eek!:

#74. Hawfinch - This was just a second time I saw this in my garden. :king: (Last time I saw this was maybe 2015 or something like that.) Also it was a year tick for me.

PS. Today has been ambivalent day: In addition to the new garden tick, I manage to see Kingfisher in local wetland. My first in Finland. But then - I backed my car in the ditch and broke down the exhaust pipe... (o)<
PPS. Just noticed when looking out of window: the First snow

Well done on the Hawfinch and Jay Wari!...is the snow early this year?

Cheers

... haven't been keeping a proper list yet (was going to in the new year) - was just outside bringing the washing in, and lost in thought thinking about doing the garden list ...- Black-tailed!! Unexpected and not one I'd be that likely to get again, so thought I'd better get it in and on the all-time garden list!

Me too - taking in the washing and Grey Heron flew low over the garden - went back indoors thinking to add it to my garden list then realised my ‘garden list’ still comprises of yellow ‘Post Its’ stuck all over the fridge with various noteable species and dates waiting to be written into notebook form B :)

Me too - taking in the washing and Grey Heron flew low over the garden - went back indoors thinking to add it to my garden list then realised my ‘garden list’ still comprises of yellow ‘Post Its’ stuck all over the fridge with various noteable species and dates waiting to be written into notebook form

Ha. No time like the present I guess, so here goes, in no particular order ...

Mabe Burnthouse (nr Falmouth) Garden List 2019 -

Flyover -
Cormorant
Peregrine
Buzzard
Rook
Jackdaw
Raven
Linnet
Skylark
Goldfinch
Pied Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
*Black-tailed Godwit*
Collared Dove
Woodpigeon
Meadow Pipit
Swallow
House Martin

In garden or in adjoining hedge –

Magpie
Robin
Chiffchaff
Wren
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
House Sparrow
Chaffinch

Tawny Owl (heard only, quite frequently)

I make that 28. Might be a few common birds I don't recall (eg C Crow, Dunnock) but will wait and see.

An advantage of starting this late in the game is that I can still keep potentially adding new species, whereas all those on 75+ are severely limited as to new additions.

*Bwah ha ha* ... evil laugh 3:)

Hookem, I'm sure you get at least double of that - maybe even triple. (I have never been in Texas, but I think you have there much more birds than we have here.)

Speaking of the yard ticks, I'm in last year's record for:

#72. Brent Goose - I was collecting my morning post, when heard burbling gaggle from sky - which was totally dark, so I couldn't see nothing. I was pretty sure what they were and when I listening Brents from Xeno Canto I was sure. B :)
Texas is a very large and diverse state, as far as environments go. I'm currently in an area of primarily ranch land without a ton of trees, and only have about 5 small trees in my yard. The challenge for me will be ID'ing quick flyovers where I'm only getting a brief look, which I'm not all that good at currently. That said...
30) Scissor-tailed flycatcher
31) Cooper's hawk

Ha. No time like the present I guess, so here goes, in no particular order

Ditto!

Garden list

Flyover only

Common Buzzard
Red Kite
Goshawk
Hobby
Kestrel
Little Owl (heard only)

Canada Geese
Egyptian Geese
Greylag Geese
Mute Swan
Cormorant
Grey Heron
Mallard
Gadwell
GBBG
LBBG
Herring Gull
Blackheaded Gull
Stone Curlew (heard only)
Oystercatcher
Pheasant
Stock Dove
Carrion Crow
Swift
House Martin
Pied Wagtail

In Garden

Sparrowhawk
Tawny Owl (heard only)
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jackdaw
Nuthatch
Jay

Woodpigeon
Collared Dove

Great Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Longtailed Tit

Brambling
Siskin
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Lesser Redpoll

House Sparrow
Robin
Dunnock
Wren

Chiffchaff
Lesser Whitethroat
Garden Warbler
Blackcap
Goldcrest

Redwing
Fieldfare
Songthrush
Blackbird

Reed Bunting
Magpie

—-x—

I think that’s 59

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back