• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The start of the nesting business! (1 Viewer)

madmike

Hi there,
I've just this minute seen a female Blackbird on my fence with a mouthfull of grass, so I guess she must be starting a nest! Is this a first!!
I must say that it's fairly mild down here with no snow!
Needless to say my camera was not ready as I thought I've taken enough 'Robin with a worm' photos for this week!

madmike

Last edited:
Hello madmike.
I've seen plenty of blackbirds, but none nest building. There's a few Magpie nests on my local patch, and Crows are nest building too.
Whereabouts are Blackbird nests anyway? in the trees or at ground level?

Al.

Hi Mike I have a pair nesting and they are taking mealworms like mad from the table in the front garden, but exactly where they are nesting is not clear, but I think they are over the road in the shelter of the Hazel belt at the side of the road, as they disappear over there with beaks full of worms, I did think they had been nesting before the snows and cold weather arrived. They must have snuggled down well as they are obviously feeding the first brood now. Mostly Mr Blackbird on the table and filling his beak, with Mrs having a stint about midday, so the hatching must have been taking place during the worst of the bad weather.

Al livsey said:
Whereabouts are Blackbird nests anyway? in the trees or at ground level?

Al.
Al

A couple of years ago I came out of my doctor's practice when I saw a female Blackbird at the edge of the pavement with food in her mouth (I forgot what).

When she saw me she stopped, looked at me and waited till I had walked away. Then when I was about 5 metres away she flew into a bush or shrub that grew there next to the groundlevel windows.

I waited till she left the nest and then returned to have a quick look, the nest was well hidden about 1.80 metres from the ground.

A pair of Robins have been nest building in my garden, I first noticed them on Monday. I posted a pic in the "whats in your garden" thread. By the way I mowed my lawn for the first time this year today!! It was rolled up shirt sleeve weather here today.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back