• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your advice please (1 Viewer)

Craig H

Hi all. I'd welcome your thoughts and any advice on my next purchase. I have only dabbled with photography so far, and I have no intention of making photography my main hobby - I'm a bins and scope first person. However, after dabbling with an entry level canon kit I bought a couple of years ago - 1200d with two kit lenses - I find myself enjoying it and am now tempted to upgrade. Thing is I either upgrade my lens or my body. I cant afford both. My instinct is to go for a new longer lens, either the canon 400mm f5.6 secondhand or a Sigma 150-600mm. Would these be ok with the 1200d? If not which is the next best body to move to? I see so many with a 7d but I really cant justify that sort of price, and then having to buy a longer lens as well at a later date, for what is essentially an add on to my hobby, if you see what I mean.

My set up is a Canon 40D teamed up with a Tamron 150 - 600 lens, I find this set up gets some great results, feel free to look at my gallery for a few example shots. I find I can carry this combo along with my scope and bins.

Previously I had a 400 f5.6 this a great lens but I just wanted a little more reach.

It really though comes down to your budget a bigger lens will give you that extra reach but at the same time a better body would help as well. If I was you I would buy the lens first but that's just me (I am no expert). But in respect to the body a 7D would be great but don't dismiss the 70/80D bodies my old 40D is good old work horse.

Tim

Craig

I'm currently photography based and I'm currently rocking the 7d2 with the sigma 150-600. All my gear is bought 2nd hand and I do recommend you do the same, by reducing the cost by at least 25% you can openn up your choices.

I think it's a good idea to invest in glass first. Though I haven't used the 400 5.6 I know it's a very sharp and fast focusing lens, however, it lacks image stabilization so it might not be as effective if you have shaky hands. The sigma I'm using now is a sharp lens (not super sharp), it focuses ok for birds in flight and the image stabilization is ok. I would recommend the sigma or tamron 100-400 because they're sharp and the image stabilization is simply amazing (down to 1/20 handholding), though I have to admit that the focusing on both lens seems to be the deal breaker (kinda), so it won't be too good of a choice if you're doing birds in flight. Another advantage is the lightweight build of both lens. If your budget allows, go for the canon 100-400 ii, seems to be the best zoom for its price point.

As for camera bodies, I personally wouldn't recommend the 1xxxD canon series to anyone but I guess since you've already bought it, there's no going back :p. I definitely think the 7d2 is a good enough body for wildlife photography and I probably won't need an upgrade for another few years. Since it seems like you have quite a tight budget, I think you can take a look at the 60D or 70D.

Colin

Hi all. I'd welcome your thoughts and any advice on my next purchase. I have only dabbled with photography so far, and I have no intention of making photography my main hobby - I'm a bins and scope first person. However, after dabbling with an entry level canon kit I bought a couple of years ago - 1200d with two kit lenses - I find myself enjoying it and am now tempted to upgrade. Thing is I either upgrade my lens or my body. I cant afford both. My instinct is to go for a new longer lens, either the canon 400mm f5.6 secondhand or a Sigma 150-600mm. Would these be ok with the 1200d? If not which is the next best body to move to? I see so many with a 7d but I really cant justify that sort of price, and then having to buy a longer lens as well at a later date, for what is essentially an add on to my hobby, if you see what I mean.
A mark 1 7D can be bought secondhand for very little.

If I was you I would buy the lens first but that's just me (I am no expert).

Tim
Cheers Tim - think thats what I'm edging towards.

As for camera bodies, I personally wouldn't recommend the 1xxxD canon series to anyone but I guess since you've already bought it, there's no going back :p.

Colin

Why wouldn't you recommend the 1200d Colin? As a newcomer to DSLRs Ive found it really good to have some of the 'help' functions on it.

A question because i dont know my way around Canon models will the 1200D focus quickly and accurately @ f6.3.

I have no idea Mike - given I'm no expert things like this have never crossed my mind. Is it something I need to worry about given I'm not after perfection?

A mark 1 7D can be bought secondhand for very little.

Yeah, Ive seen them for £250 ish. But, I just wonder if its too advanced for me yet. I am still very much a beginner! I still get confused with small aperture = big f stop! Hence me thinking if I get a longer lens and keep practicing before investing in a better body.

Cheers Tim - think thats what I'm edging towards.

Why wouldn't you recommend the 1200d Colin? As a newcomer to DSLRs Ive found it really good to have some of the 'help' functions on it.

I have no idea Mike - given I'm no expert things like this have never crossed my mind. Is it something I need to worry about given I'm not after perfection?

Yeah, Ive seen them for £250 ish. But, I just wonder if its too advanced for me yet. I am still very much a beginner! I still get confused with small aperture = big f stop! Hence me thinking if I get a longer lens and keep practicing before investing in a better body.

Craig

I do believe that you can pick up the basic operations of the camera just by practice and more research on your own ( mine being binge watching youtube videos :) ).

The 1xxxD simply is too limiting in terms of functions, I don't think it's worth buying just for the help feature. Personally, I rarely change the aperture of the shot anyway, I mostly keep using the largest aperture (smallest number). Although the 7d may offer good fps and focus modes (really helpful), there are issues with its image quality as it performs badly in low light (high iso) situations. But I do think you'll only learn how to use different features by upgrading to higher level bodies and that it's only a matter of budget.

Colin

Craig

I do believe that you can pick up the basic operations of the camera just by practice and more research on your own ( mine being binge watching youtube videos :) ).

The 1xxxD simply is too limiting in terms of functions, I don't think it's worth buying just for the help feature. Personally, I rarely change the aperture of the shot anyway, I mostly keep using the largest aperture (smallest number). Although the 7d may offer good fps and focus modes (really helpful), there are issues with its image quality as it performs badly in low light (high iso) situations. But I do think you'll only learn how to use different features by upgrading to higher level bodies and that it's only a matter of budget.

Colin

Interesting Colin. I guess its horses for courses. I've found the Q button feature really helpful and learned quite a lot using this function. I guess the question is do I want to learn more (get a better body) or do I want closer pictures (longer lens). As things stand I'm edging towards the latter for now.

I agree with what you are leaning towards........get the lens and if you really start to enjoy it you can upgrade at a later date.Your body is'nt the greatest camera for birds but will still give good results if used well.

Craig

Although the 7d may offer good fps and focus modes (really helpful), there are issues with its image quality as it performs badly in low light (high iso) situations.

Colin

Very little difference between mark 1 and 2. I own both. It's also going to perform as well or better than other Canon cameras unless you take a step up in price.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back