• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Emerald damselfly species ID query.. (1 Viewer)

nowhereblue

Hi Everyone

Saw this male emerald damselfly species in South London yesterday.

Wasn't sure if it were a male Willow Emerald or an immature male Common Emerald damselfly.

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Michael

Attachments

• CFA96DFB-9361-4D29-84A6-6C955535B443_1_105_c.jpeg
    CFA96DFB-9361-4D29-84A6-6C955535B443_1_105_c.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 5D40B0CE-305C-4C0D-890A-CD3FAC98D9A6_1_105_c.jpeg
    5D40B0CE-305C-4C0D-890A-CD3FAC98D9A6_1_105_c.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 21ADBFE1-CFDA-4F15-9108-FCD94507A86A_1_105_c.jpeg
    21ADBFE1-CFDA-4F15-9108-FCD94507A86A_1_105_c.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 22
Great thanks again Paul! I'm relatively new to Odonata so be interested to know what clinched the ID ? The white appendages (rather than buff) ? I've seen that immature common emerald males can have pale spots on the wings too. thanks M

Great thanks again Paul! I'm relatively new to Odonata so be interested to know what clinched the ID ? The white appendages (rather than buff) ? I've seen that immature common emerald males can have pale spots on the wings too. thanks M

I was looking on my phone and it was the shape and paleness of the appendages that gave it away. Ideally an image from the side so you can see the spur on the side of the thorax would be a good thing to get but dragonflies don't tend to pose for photographers!

Ha yes indeed they aren't always obliging subjects! This was taken in Dulwich Park in South East London and I saw a few specimens over the last couple of days. Be interested to know from others if they are already established in south London ?

Ha yes indeed they aren't always obliging subjects! This was taken in Dulwich Park in South East London and I saw a few specimens over the last couple of days. Be interested to know from others if they are already established in south London ?

Attached the map of all sightings in iRecord to date and a couple of sightings from Dulwich Park from last year.

Attachments

• willow.JPG
    willow.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 26
  • dulwich.JPG
    dulwich.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 16
Perhaps worth me keeping an eye out in NE Hampshire this year as well. Thanks Paul.

John

I haven't heard of any at Bramshill yet this year John.

From the visits I've made to the Basingstoke canal at the bottom of the runway there's plenty of excellent habitat.

Good luck

I haven't heard of any at Bramshill yet this year John.

From the visits I've made to the Basingstoke canal at the bottom of the runway there's plenty of excellent habitat.

Good luck

TYVM!

Plenty of willows at Tundry Pond as well if it comes to that. Which I often poke around for Odonata.

John

There have been a couple of reports on Twitter, starting last summer. That doesn't immediately prove that there are accepted records or how long they've been there, but certainly worth looking & putting in records for anything found.

Thanks. I've not seen any records myself from Danson Park but there are a few from nearby Footscray Meadows. I was supposed to be over that way this weekend and I was going to have a look, unfortunately that isn't happening now.

Thanks. I've not seen any records myself from Danson Park but there are a few from nearby Footscray Meadows. I was supposed to be over that way this weekend and I was going to have a look, unfortunately that isn't happening now.

I've certainly had records from Footscray in the last week or so,

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back