• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht: 8x30 or 10x40? (1 Viewer)

Brock,

The main source of veiling glare in the 8x30 is the objective cell. The prism shelf opening is another less important source. Exterior hoods are not much help at most the incident angles of reflection that cause the glare. The objective cell glare could be easily eliminated with a single interior baffle of the correct size placed near the back of the objective. When I complained about it to Swarovski in 1986 thy said they would look into the problem.

It's been so long since I owned the 10x40 that I can't remember what I thought about its veiling glare. Even if it has the same objective cell problem it's possible that it inadvertently benefits from having a slightly lower focal ratio compared to the 8x30. Since the prism shelf aperture is the same in both models the edge of the lower focal ratio 10x40 objective cell would be seen from the eyepiece as a little more "around the corner" from the edge of the prism aperture, which would allow the prism aperture to more effectively block whatever reflections it has.

Henry

Brock,

The main source of veiling glare in the 8x30 is the objective cell. The prism shelf opening is another less important source. Exterior hoods are not much help at most the incident angles of reflection that cause the glare. The objective cell glare could be easily eliminated with a single interior baffle of the correct size placed near the back of the objective. When I complained about it to Swarovski in 1986 thy said they would look into the problem.

It's been so long since I owned the 10x40 that I can't remember what I thought about its veiling glare. Even if it has the same objective cell problem it's possible that it inadvertently benefits from having a slightly lower focal ratio compared to the 8x30. Since the prism shelf aperture is the same in both models the edge of the lower focal ratio 10x40 objective cell would be seen from the eyepiece as a little more "around the corner" from the edge of the prism aperture, which would allow the prism aperture to more effectively block whatever reflections it has.

Henry

Thanks, Henry. Since the newest 8x30s are still showing veiling glare, Swaro is apparently still looking into the problem. ;)

It sounds like there's no DIY solution to reducing or eliminating the veiling glare. From reading 8x30 Habicht owners' comments, it's one of those things that some people are bothered by and others are not. Veiling glare is usually a deal killer for me unless it only happens under certain conditions such as the sun hanging low in the sky. I'll have to try the 8x30 at Proud Papa's and see how much of an issue it is for me.

Brock

Out of interest, I have just bought an Habicht 7x42 GA porro, not arrived yet, does anyone know if this model suffers the same Veiling glare ?

Out of interest, I have just bought an Habicht 7x42 GA porro, not arrived yet, does anyone know if this model suffers the same Veiling glare ?

I don't know if it suffers from veiling glare, but if it does, with a large 6mm exit pupil you might be able to move your eyes off center and dodge it. However, with only a 46* apparent field of view, you might be the one suffering, from this: ;)

medicalnewstoday

<B>

Don't worry either way. Also, Give yourself time to get used to its smaller apfov. It's amazing how one can adjust, just to be left with a beautiful view.

I've got my 1958 7x42 Habichts out now. No problems with glare right now. Though, it's the only version I don't have a modern equivalent to. I need to get one to complete the collection. Your habicht will have higher light transmission than virtually any binocular ever produced. Enjoy it for what it is.

Cheers
Rathaus

Having a close look now at distant radio towers...my new Nikon EII are the tinyest bit sharper on axis than the nearly 60yo beaten up Habichts...you'd need good eyes to pick it, but the nikons are just a touch sharper. Both great bins, though the habicht were cheaper by virtue of their age.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Thanks Rathaus, I also have the E11, amazing wide FOV for an 8x30, will be interesting to compare how sharp the modern Habicht is.
Brock, claustrophobic yes 3:), I knew about the narrow FOV in the Habicht 7x42 before I bought it, seems much like the Swift Osprey I have, good optics but very narrow Fov, but Holger Merlitz still gives it a pretty good write up for it's optics and handling, the only thing he didn't like was the narrow FOV, but I don't remember his mentioning any glare. I thought I would like one for the collection and then one came up, pre owned, but never been used, still in the box as new and for half the current new price.

Last edited:

No problems with veiling glare at all. Much, much better than the 8x30. Also better than the 10x40.

Hermann

I knew about the narrow FOV in the Habicht 7x42 before I bought it, seems much like the Swift Osprey I have, good optics but very narrow Fov, but Holger Merlitz still gives it a pretty good write up for it's optics and handling, the only thing he didn't like was the narrow FOV, but I don't remember his mentioning any glare.

I wrote a review on the 7x42 a while ago:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3025324&postcount=1

How old is yours? I think Swarovski last updated the coatings in 2012.

Hermann

No problems with veiling glare at all. Much, much better than the 8x30. Also better than the 10x40.

Hermann

Hermann,

Many thanks, and for he link, interesting review. I now have the 7x42GA, only had a brief look, but so far I like it, light, nice to handle, bright and sharp, exactly as your review, although my first impression is the E11 is a little better all round. I am not sure of the year, the person I bought it from had it as a back up but never used it, so it is as new for less than half current RRP, I am very happy with that. The serial number is A804292381 if that helps dating it?

Ben

Attachments

• SWAROVSKI-7X42-GA-PORRO.3.JPG
    SWAROVSKI-7X42-GA-PORRO.3.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Ben,

Made in the 42nd week of 2010. First 2 numbers of the serial number +30 = year of manufacture, next 2 numbers are the week of that year.

Henry

Thanks Rathaus, I also have the E11, amazing wide FOV for an 8x30, will be interesting to compare how sharp the modern Habicht is.
Brock, claustrophobic yes 3:), I knew about the narrow FOV in the Habicht 7x42 before I bought it, seems much like the Swift Osprey I have, good optics but very narrow Fov, but Holger Merlitz still gives it a pretty good write up for it's optics and handling, the only thing he didn't like was the narrow FOV, but I don't remember his mentioning any glare. I thought I would like one for the collection and then one came up, pre owned, but never been used, still in the box as new and for half the current new price.

You're a lucky Snoop Dogg to get a BNIB Habicht for half price. I've gotten a few bargains over the years, but never one that good. Unfortunately, I have asthma so I can't take beta blockers for claustrophobia, but if I ever saw a deal like that on an 8x30 Habicht, and I was flush, I'd be on it like flies on manure.

My only real beef against Swarovski binoculars (aside from the inconsistency in the smoothness of their focusers) is their price. I've tried two ELs and three modern SLCs, and while they were impressive, I don't think they were so much better than what can be found at the second tier or thousands of dollars better than some mid-priced roofs to justify the high price.

But with the Habicht, there are so few premium porros left so unless you luck out like you did, you got to pay over $1,000 for a porro that was designed 40 years ago that has none of the "bells & whistles" of modern roofs. Given its stiff focuser, and low ER, and the fact that I no longer have the budget to be a collector, but am strictly a user, I have to wonder if that $1,000 would be better spent on a Conquest HD, which would be more suitable for the type of close-in birding I typically do.

Brock

I had the Habicht and sold it. It is a beautiful little binocular in almost all respects, a joy to use, although I'm not as expert on the technical side as Frank and John and can't comment on the Science Bits.
The short eye-relief didn't bother me, although eyelash goo gets on the oculars occasionally. The stiff focusser wasn't a problem either, it's just a slightly stiffer focusser than others. You don't need a wrench to turn it, my dainty index finger was sufficient. Mine were bought last year, and there was certainly no yellow bias. Sharp, bright and neutral. Beautiful build.
What I couldn't get on with was the stray light/glare (or whatever you want to call it). This may be worse at certain latitudes and in certain lighting conditions...low sun, greyed-out skies dispersing sunlight all over the place, etc. It's just my personal peeve at the moment. Maybe it's my eyes, or maybe I'm impossible to please.

Totally agree, the glare is the Achilles heel in this otherwise wonderful glass. It is very obvious comparing it to state-of-the-art roofs. I would love to see Swarovski bringing out a new Habicht series with optimized glare control.

Thanks Henry, nice to know the age.

Brock, yep, lucky, I couldn't really let it go by for the price, even thought it will likely get little use. Swaro seem to have the two extremes in 7x42, this is a really light 7x with a narrow FOV, the SLC 7X42 roof is a really heavy 7x with a wider FOV.

Brock, yep, lucky, I couldn't really let it go by for the price, even thought it will likely get little use.

Careful there, if you give it some time in the field to get used to the eyecups and the narrow field of view you may find the 7x42 is pretty addictive ... ;) I find it's optically quite clearly better than my late Nikon 8x32 SE with better transmission (actually visible in the field) and better contrast.

Hermann

Careful there, if you give it some time in the field to get used to the eyecups and the narrow field of view you may find the 7x42 is pretty addictive ... ;) I find it's optically quite clearly better than my late Nikon 8x32 SE with better transmission (actually visible in the field) and better contrast.

Hermann

Hermann, I hope I do :t:

Hermann

This is so true. Give them time...They will give you moments of optical nirvana. If there is clearer glass out there let me know!

I have a newish 10x40 GA and it is far far superior to the new 8x30 re glare. But, The 8x30 is so good otherwise...if it needed a small compromise somewhere surely and a bit of glare at certain times of day is a teeny tiny price to pay for one of the best optical devices ever made.

However, imo, the 10x40 GA is a better bino. It's as if the sublime optical brilliance at 8x30 just gets to stand out more at 10x. These things are beyond the acuity of the normal discerning human eye.

Also, in my experience, this GA is probably the only binocular available today whose visible and tactile build quality is equal to or...at least on par with the Zeiss 15x60 BGAT I just received. (It came as a relief to handle the older Zeiss and to feel a bino made to last numerous lifetimes.

If there is a better built or more sturdy bino please let me know...I'll be the first to check it out.

Cheers,
Rathaus

Great to know...obtained a sweet deal (1\2 retail) and have an early 2015 10x40 W GA coming. If it's everything I've read about here on BF, should be a keeper along side the 10x50SV! :t:

Ted

BTW, can someone perhaps check the "real" weight of the rubber-armoured version (without the rainguard and the strap)? The information on the Swarovski website is a bit outdated, I think. Hermann

Habicht 10x40 W GA is 26.2oz\743g, lighter than the Absam listing (jan. 2015 version)!

If you tell me they blow the 10X50 away, I'll slam my head against the wall.3:)

Great to know...obtained a sweet deal (1\2 retail) and have an early 2015 10x40 W GA coming. If it's everything I've read about here on BF, should be a keeper along side the 10x50SV! :t:

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back