• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An inexpensive 6x30? (1 Viewer)

If others here agree with Bill that I'm being a general nuisance or my posts are inappropriate this is a good time to chime in since it's out here on the table. My ears are open.

BC ..... Your posts have brought out some good discussions from which I continue to learn. So, keep on typing!

This forum has three great features. The first two are that the index list displays the screen name of the thread originator and it also displays the last poster. If a reader would rather not read posts from those individuals, then it is easy to skip right on by. The third feature is the Ignore function for those really wanting to avoid certain posts.

I do not think you are being a general nuisance and I do not think your posts are inappropriate. If someone does not want to read your posts, then they can easily scroll past them.

Bill maybe we should take this into PM if you have more to say. I don't want to continue this relatively unimportant drama out on the boards.

Thanks Bruce. I thought things we're going pretty well. I know I often contradict myself and say some ignorant things but that's just how I slowly learn. I've never been too quick on the uptake. It took me 60 years to understand what was going on in my love relationships.:smoke:

BC,

"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it is all small stuff". Was that from Chicken Soup for the Soul, not sure about that, but appropriate for now. Keep on writing.

Andy W.

Thanks Bruce. I thought things we're going pretty well. I know I often contradict myself and say some ignorant things but that's just how I slowly learn. I've never been too quick on the uptake. It took me 60 years to understand what was going on in my love relationships.:smoke:

BC:

I like your discussions, and we all should not take each other too seriously.

This is just about optics, and much subjective opinion. ;)

I have a fault of being too blunt sometimes, I like a lively discussion,
it helps things from getting too boring.

Jerry

I don't usually have an issue with bluntness or being straightforward. That's all Bill was doing to his credit and all I was doing to mine. Heated debate or discussion can be very good as long as it stays about the ideas and not about the persons having the ideas. I don't think Bill crossed any lines and I'm glad to know how he feels about the things I post here. I'm not going to do anything different though. It's just me being me.

BC:

I didn't say that at all!!!!! I must say, though, you're mighty quick at drawing wrong conclusions. My concern was that it's difficult to impossible to help you, as I'm sure we all want to do, when you're all over the board with your knowledge. Sometimes when I say too much, you say you don't understand. If I say too little, you go away not having a thorough answer. Can't you see? Or perhaps I should just bow out of trying to help at all.:cat:

Bill

I've been helped. Maybe not as much as you think I should be but that's not my business. This isn't all about you and me. I usually post to the general audience and I'm not waiting on your answers specifically. If I don't understand your explanation I say so and someone else may be able to say it in a way I can understand which IMO is the skill a good teacher and communicator has. The truth is that others have been able to explain things so I can understand them better than you have. That's just how it goes. This began when I disagreed with a quote you posted and supposedly agreed with. I did not. At that point I was on topic as it pertained to the OP. I think inexpensive optics can be good optics and I've been saying that from about my first thread when I returned to BF. It's not something I just came up with.

So yeah if you feel that way bow out and leave me out of your posting. It's better for both of us and everyone else because you seem to be the only one with the problem as to how I post to this point. And that's OK by me. I don't blame ya. Some people bug me too.

The only thing I'm really sorry about is that this thread has gone so far off topic but IMO it can't be helped at this point. I've asked you to take it to PM but it looks like you've expanded your earlier posts instead.

Last edited:
black crow, post 27,
"posting to the general audience"means that you throw it in the air and we sit down and do not have to do anything with it? But BF is not the general audience so you can expect somebody to respond to your posts. And I think that Bill was civilised and to the point in his reaction to your post.
Gijs van Ginkel

If others here agree with Bill that I'm being a general nuisance or my posts are inappropriate this is a good time to chime in since it's out here on the table. My ears are open.

BC

Bird Forum is for people of all levels of interest, knowledge and abilities to mix together and share experiences and opinions.

Your posts are always interesting and engaging. Stay with us :t:

Lee

BC:

I didn't say that at all!!!!! I must say, though, you're mighty quick at drawing wrong conclusions. My concern was that it's difficult to impossible to help you, as I'm sure we all want to do, when you're all over the board with your knowledge. Sometimes when I say too much, you say you don't understand. If I say too little, you go away not having a thorough answer. Can't you see? Or perhaps I should just bow out of trying to help at all.:cat:

Bill

Bill
This me as moderator speaking.

BF is not the place to undertake an analysis of a member's ability to formulate questions and understand the answers. This is personal. BF house rules are clear that we must not get personal. It leads to misunderstandings due to the fact that on here we can't hear tone of voice or see facial expressions or body language so we can't readily tell what is meant in a friendly way or is just downright critical.

Move on gentlemen.
Lee

lee, i get you very well but want to add a little i have expanded in bc's thread about why he is here
i dont see anything Bill has said as out of line and i often have the same perceptions bc has!
i believe bill goes out of his way to help. i think then he states further why he does that and is honest
i dont see why he is singled out frankly.
but moderation is the way it is handled as drawing a line so i accept
neither bc or bill want problems, neither is wrong in my perception
something goes wrong but it isnt the people involved themselves or even what thry say
something diverges from acceptable norms, i feel it too but have no idea after rereading what it is.
i hope it settles.

i see the quote you moderate from in your post, i just see a guy trying even harder to care and explain.
i am thus wrong too? is caring too 'personal'.

Last edited:
Guilty as charged.:-C

Do they have to be 6x30 or could they also be 6x32? That might broaden the selection a bit. Too bad Eagle optics is kaput. They had a great one for about $269 called the Ranger. They closed them out and I got one for $169 and it's one of my favorite pair.

Last edited:
Has someone derailed my thread? LOL
by inexpensive I mean 250 or under. ideally roofs.

IDK if you missed it or not.... That Vortex Viper HD 6X32 on the classified should be pretty sweet. Prob MIJ. It's a $500 binocular.

Found an excellent porro 6x30, wide FOV, light weight, pleasant handling comfort, the only disadvantage may the indivual focussing. Price brand new: 20 euros. I do not know were it is made: brand name is Libra, comes with a very simple case and no straps. Looks water proof, but I did not perform an immersion test yet.
Further testing will be done.
Gijs van Ginkel

Those Vortex Viper HDs are now down to $260 including shipping. That's a screaming deal for a made in Japan bino with a locking diopter and a lifetime no fault warranty. I know there is a poster on this site who said they've had bad luck with Vortex warranty service but it doesn't sound like they've even called them. Everyone I know myself included who has had a warranty issue and received excellent prompt service. They were selling for $500 new and are no longer being made so harder to find. They also get excellent reviews on this site and others. If I wanted a 6X I would jump on that deal because you'll be hard pressed to find anything that good. I bet he'll even take $250 for them;) BTW I don't know the seller but if you don't take advantage of that deal it's hard for me to believe you're that serious about buying at this time.

The Libra 6x30 I described in post 27 is also sold by a large camera store in Holland: Kamera Express and it costs there 29,99 euro's.
I am now test-using it with a Zeiss raincap (the only one that accomodates the necessary distance between the binocular lugs, looks kind of strange: a super cheap binocular equipped with a top brand raincover....like transporting potatoes in a violin case).
To be continued.
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Gijs,
The Libra 6x30 may be the same as the Dowling and Rowe 4x22 but with longer objective barrels.
I paid more than double the 6x30 price for the 4x22, but I use it whenever I need a very wide field.

A Dutch site says it has a 17 degree field, but I measure it between 16.3 and 16.5 degrees.

The coatings are not great, but there are few 4x binoculars available.

I suppose that the 6x30, if it is 6 times, may have an 11 degree field.
But I probably would prefer the 5x25 Foton, 6x24 Russian or the 6x24 Amplivid all with 12 degree fields.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back