• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL eyecups (eyeglass wearers) (1 Viewer)

piper_hm

I love my recently purchased 8.5x42 EL Fieldpros, but for those that wear glasses, has anyone found the rubber on the eyecups to be thick to the point that it inhibits a bit of the FOV? Dare I say...too much eye relief?

I'm thinking in comparison to some models with 'lower profile' eyecups in the Leica or Zeiss models, where the distance between the end of the eyecup and objective lens is reduced.

I love my recently purchased 8.5x42 EL Fieldpros, but for those that wear glasses, has anyone found the rubber on the eyecups to be thick to the point that it inhibits a bit of the FOV? Dare I say...too much eye relief?

I'm thinking in comparison to some models with 'lower profile' eyecups in the Leica or Zeiss models, where the distance between the end of the eyecup and objective lens is reduced.
Yes.

With my glasses I have the eyecups turned up to the first "click" - I tend to get blackouts if I have them fully down. But then, my glasses are of the rimless design.

It just goes to show how different folks' experience can be. Here is Piper who finds the eyecups push his eyes too far away from the eyepiece. And BTW eye relief is a consequence of the optics and although the eyecup works with the ER they don't cause it. On the other hand we have Mandobear who needs the eyecups screwed up one notch. Two quite contradictory experiences.

The ER/eyecup combo is designed to suit as many folks as possible but with such a variety of facial shapes and spectacles designs it is unlikely any manufacturer is going to find a combination that will suit everybody.

Lee

A Swarovski rep threw a spare set of EL eyecups in the mail for me to experiment with free of charge. Can't ask for better customer service than that!

It just goes to show how different folks' experience can be. Here is Piper who finds the eyecups push his eyes too far away from the eyepiece. And BTW eye relief is a consequence of the optics and although the eyecup works with the ER they don't cause it. On the other hand we have Mandobear who needs the eyecups screwed up one notch. Two quite contradictory experiences.

The ER/eyecup combo is designed to suit as many folks as possible but with such a variety of facial shapes and spectacles designs it is unlikely any manufacturer is going to find a combination that will suit everybody.

Lee
True, but the 19mm on my 7X42 SLC requires me to extend the eyecup. On my 20mm Swarovisions the eyecups stay down and I'd like a tad more eye relief for the same comfort level I get with the 7X42 SLC. The eyecups on the Swarovisions have too much space between the rim of the eyecup and the glass. Why, I do not know. Same company, different results. B :)

I also remember the 7X42 Leica BN had better eye relief than my 7X42 Ultravid...due to the eyecup design.

Last, but not least, the 17mm eye relief I get with the 8X32 SE works just fine.

True, but the 19mm on my 7X42 SLC requires me to extend the eyecup. On my 20mm Swarovisions the eyecups stay down and I'd like a tad more eye relief for the same comfort level I get with the 7X42 SLC. The eyecups on the Swarovisions have too much space between the rim of the eyecup and the glass. Why, I do not know. Same company, different results. B :)

I also remember the 7X42 Leica BN had better eye relief than my 7X42 Ultravid...due to the eyecup design.

Last, but not least, the 17mm eye relief I get with the 8X32 SE works just fine.

Yes. I experience variable results from the same brand too. But always remember the eye relief is the distance above the top lens of the position where you can see the full field of view. This is eye relief. Whether the eyecup delivers your eye or your eye plus spectacles to this position is a different question.

Lee

With my glasses I have the eyecups turned up to the first "click" - I tend to get blackouts if I have them fully down.

I have the same problem. Placed rubber o-rings (about 1/16" thick) just behind the rubber part of the eyecup as the best compromise between blackouts and max FOV.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back