• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

Spotted crake at the Moors today. Seen from the West Hide initially, then later from the Water Rail hide. Hope it stays around for tomorrow - I know Kay would love to see it.

Going through my pics of it now.

Added one now - will add more to my gallery tomorrow.

Super shot of the Spotted Crake Pete:t:...you always seem to be in the right place at the right time!!!

Went to Upton Warren this afternoon, we visited the Flashes first and managed to see the Wood Sandpiper (which was still at the back of the pool!! :C), the lone Dunlin, the lone Black Tailed Godwit, 20+ Curlew, 2 Common Snipe and Green & Common Sandpipers...they seemed to be everywhere today!!!

Surprisingly the Moors car park was near enough empty when we arrived apart from 3 cars which was a bit of a shocker after yesterdays find! We had the spider/concrete hide to ourselves and managed to see a Juv Water Rail that was quite happily fishing on the edge of the reed bed in open water and we also managed to see the Little Egret having a good old preen in the lovely sunshine!!

Visiting Upton was a lovely end to a super weekend for us!!!!:D

Attachments

• P1150293 [].JPG
    P1150293 [].JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 305
  • P1150334 [].JPG
    P1150334 [].JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 299
  • P1150336 [].JPG
    P1150336 [].JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 294
  • P1150344 [].JPG
    P1150344 [].JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 308
Super shot of the Spotted Crake Pete:t:...you always seem to be in the right place at the right time!!!

Went to Upton Warren this afternoon, we visited the Flashes first and managed to see the Wood Sandpiper (which was still at the back of the pool!! :C), the lone Dunlin, the lone Black Tailed Godwit, 20+ Curlew, 2 Common Snipe and Green & Common Sandpipers...they seemed to be everywhere today!!!

Surprisingly the Moors car park was near enough empty when we arrived apart from 3 cars which was a bit of a shocker after yesterdays find! We had the spider/concrete hide to ourselves and managed to see a Juv Water Rail that was quite happily fishing on the edge of the reed bed in open water and we also managed to see the Little Egret having a good old preen in the lovely sunshine!!

Visiting Upton was a lovely end to a super weekend for us!!!!:D

he better not have been there saturday,cause i didnt see him:-C,but the spotted crake was amazingo:D.glad you saw the egret,it was there too but despite searching it didnt show.nice photos,i love the juv water rail
MB
MB

Not sure if I saw you MB - I raced over from the Flashes, straight to the West Hide (stilts) to get it initially. Then someone called to say it was visible from the Water Rail hide, so we legged it over there.

I stayed until about 6:15pm, but it was getting a bit dark for shots then. You can normally spot me as I wear a stupid floppy green hat (North Face).

I spent most of this afternoon at the Hen Pool again, watching reed warblers and a pair of juv water rails.

Oh, and you can use any of my shots, as long as you credit me for them. :t:

Not sure if I saw you MB - I raced over from the Flashes, straight to the West Hide (stilts) to get it initially. Then someone called to say it was visible from the Water Rail hide, so we legged it over there.

I stayed until about 6:15pm, but it was getting a bit dark for shots then. You can normally spot me as I wear a stupid floppy green hat (North Face).

I spent most of this afternoon at the Hen Pool again, watching reed warblers and a pair of juv water rails.

Oh, and you can use any of my shots, as long as you credit me for them. :t:

thanks for letting me use your images pete:t:,much better than any i can get with my camera.:-Owere you at the moors at 6:15 as this is when i left the water rail hide after not seeing the bird for about 20 mins(but it might have been showing there was a lot of people in there).i wondered wether to pop into the hen pool hide(for bittern) but i said carry on,but i was a bit anxious as the last time i said this a bittern was being watched as we walked past.:-C

Last edited:
High MB
I don't mention any recent news as Worcester Birding is the news service for us all. But now you have mentioned it yes a very albeit brief bird on Saturday morning that was my 19th consecutive early start on a Saturday since April. Like the early bird catches the worm the early 'birder' catches the bird.
cheers John

Well done with the M Harrier, John! Nowt wrong with your sketch in the log book either!o:D

A great pic of the Spotted Crake, Pete!:t:

Well done with your juv Water Rail pic, Emma!:t: Mine are just a blur!o:D

Thanks Pam. My gallery has been updated now with the rest of the shots of the spotted crake.

Thanks Pam. My gallery has been updated now with the rest of the shots of the spotted crake.

Very good they are too, Pete! Well done!:t:

I have to say I was very surprised that the Moors Pools were so quiet, I almost didn't bother going there thinking it would be heaving with the news of a Spotted Crake! If it hadn't been for seeing what produce was being sold at 'Lifestyles' I probably wouldn't have ventured there as parking is at such a premium.

Thanks for the link, Brian!:t:

Luckily there were a few photographers around to see the Spotted Crake! All great photo's too!

I am still bemused as to how quiet it was at the Moors Pools after the Spotted Crake had been reported the day before. Weird!

I think it was from the reports that it hadn't been seen after 7:20pm that put folks off. And with no sign from those early risers either, people probably assumed it had gone.

Maybe everyone had the same thought as you though - I admit, I didn't go to the Moors because I thought it would be rammed, so went to the other side instead.

I think it was from the reports that it hadn't been seen after 7:20pm that put folks off. And with no sign from those early risers either, people probably assumed it had gone.
Maybe everyone had the same thought as you though - I admit, I didn't go to the Moors because I thought it would be rammed, so went to the other side instead.

Mmm, you may be right, Pete. Yet when some will sit for hours waiting for a Kingfisher it just seemed spookily quiet there! Whatever, you were all very lucky being in the right place at the right time!

For those interested in the habitat at upton warren.

.............and wishful thinking will bring a spotted crake.

Looks like the wishful thinking came true John!! Been looking at the photographs of the Spotted Crake and can't seem to get my bearings of which hide they were taken from as I can't recall seeing any muddy areas in front of the concrete hide, so could someone confirm which hide the pics were taken from please?

Looks like the wishful thinking came true John!! Been looking at the photographs of the Spotted Crake and can't seem to get my bearings of which hide they were taken from as I can't recall seeing any muddy areas in front of the concrete hide, so could someone confirm which hide the pics were taken from please?

the photos were taken from both 'west' hides.from the concrete hide if you look right there is some reed stubble:-O and this is where i saw him.it looks newly cut and is quite marshy.by the looks of it petes photo(and corrrect me if im wrong) looks to have been around the feeder area where it was initially found,hope this helps.
MB

All my shots are from the West Hide (on stilts) - what's the new name for this one?

My shots from the Water Rail hide were blurred and a bit distant to bother processing.

Spotted crake at the Moors today. Seen from the West Hide initially, then later from the Water Rail hide. Hope it stays around for tomorrow - I know Kay would love to see it.

Going through my pics of it now.

Added one now - will add more to my gallery tomorrow.

Great pics Pete, well done :t:

Thanks for the text and the mention, unfortunately I couldn't make it there Saturday evening, but nevermind, I did see one at Coombe Meadows two years ago.

All my shots are from the West Hide (on stilts) - what's the new name for this one?

My shots from the Water Rail hide were blurred and a bit distant to bother processing.

Thanks for the info Pete, sounds like it was a very mobile bird!!!

High MB
I don't mention any recent news as Worcester Birding is the news service for us all. But now you have mentioned it yes a very albeit brief bird on Saturday morning that was my 19th consecutive early start on a Saturday since April. Like the early bird catches the worm the early 'birder' catches the bird.
cheers John

Surely an Upton Warren thread is a good place to mention Upton Warren specific news, no matter what bird news services folk subscribe to? :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back