• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Used Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Since I'm still in, ahem, the endless search for the perfect binoculars (starting to discover I'll never get there, since such a thing doesn't seem to exist :-O ), I use the most the one I'm trying at the moment (or in love with at any given time). It's been the 8x30 EII for quite a while, but over the last weeks I just love the 7x42 Zeiss Victory FL and can't help using it every single day. Even if it's a bit bulky, the image is so addictive that I just have to use it.
I have to say I was really impressed with the Nikon Action EX 7x35... How do I know this? Because it was the one I mostly used for a while.

My Opticron Verano BGA HD 8x32 Binoculars are always in the car and get used daily between work appointments.

My most used for the last couple of days should have been an Opticron Verano BGA HD 8x32 as well, which I ordered off e-bay. Unfortunately it's sat in the collection shop right now (I selected "click and collect") and the shop owner won't give them to me as I don't have a code that ebay should have sent. So while I can see the box with my name on it and have paid for it I can't have it despite showing ID...very annoying.... rant over - LesR you just tipped me over the edge with listing it as one of your most used. I'm very keen to have more time with it. Most used currently therefore is Nikon 8x30 MHG.

Lots of common ground with bins, sizes and usage strategies in this thread.

My current lunchtime at work, walk around pair are the Nikon MHG 8x30. I've also been painting at lunch from time to time, so they've got pastel dust on the barrels, as I still try to spot the occasional birds while I paint. I might use them about 4 times a week at work, but for short spells... 20-30 minutes.

For weekend, multi-hour birding, it has been the Leica Noctivid 10x42 for the last 3 months. Edit:
After 3 months of regular weekend use... maybe 70 hours or so of hiking and birding 3-4 hours at a time, the only thing I notice is that the focus tension goes up as I near close focus. The rest of the focuser travel is smooth Other than that it is just a workhorse with a view I really enjoy. And, as a glasses wearer, the eye relief works perfect for me.

I do have some other bins set out in different rooms in the house, and look through some of them almost every day.... You don't want 'em to feel neglected!

-Bill

Last edited:
Nikon 7x20. Because they are so small I can bring them everywhere I travel, even when I don’t need them. But since I land up having them on me , they get used all the time. Plus I’m impressed with the glass.

If I had a choice I use the Nikon 7x35 all the time for its crazy 9.3 degrees field of view. But they are just to big to travel with even if you have a backpack on.

Most used must be Zeiss SF 8x42 but its not that simple. Very close behind and possibly in equal 1st place would be Meopta MeoStar B1 8x32, these getting major workouts on all our Scottish expeditions. End of story? No. Local walks from my home usually involve an Opticron Traveller 8x32 and on my work station there is a Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. In the south of France Zeiss's fast focusing Conquest HD 8x32 proved in practice to be the best at handling fast appearing and disappearing mixes of birds, dragonflies and butterflies. And during Scottish island holidays Meopta's MeoStar 7x42 is establishing a niche for itself (its my first 7x) and its too early to know where this will lead.

Lee

Difficult - for proper birding trips - the 8x32 FL (or 10x35 EII if I feel the need for 10x) between them by far the most miles with me. Likelyhood of seeing different things very high - so go for what works for me, long periods of use so relaxing and very sharp view.

Around here, representing bulk of birdwatching time whatever is comfortable to use, usually porros. I tend to know what to expect round here so only use bins if things don't add up. Really a sharp central zone is all thats required for occasional confirmation needs. From Olympuses best porro range, the fully multicoated EXPSI 8x42s do the job - mine are ancient, so modern ones may be different, but are my equivalent of the old comfortable, but tatty clothes you throw on when you want to feel good.

For rambling over the hills on a sunny day, sitting and idly taking a closer look, 7x42 FLs are the go to pair. Sometimes supplemented by something small and 10x.

Truth be told I can live with anything I own and everything I didn't like (or use) has gone.

Smith & Wesson 8x32. I like the Bushnell Lregend HD but the diopter adjustment is buggered so can't use them. I can't get on with my Minox BL 8x33 HD.

The binocular that spends most time hanging around my neck is the M7 8x30. It is my bin for hiking and non-birding holidays. If birding is the objective, it's my UV7x42HD or if it's a risk to my bins (lots of travel etc) then my ED2 7x36.
Although the 8x30 are not in the same league as my bigger bins, I settle into using them and can enjoy the view without that feeling that I am missing something (aside for the extra focussing effort).

Amazing how many use 7x

Yet there are very few on the market these days

Binocular users in the BirdForum/Binoculars forum represent what I assume is a very small minority of binocular users, and in many cases have multiple pairs of optics to best fit the situation in which they may be needed.
10x42 and 8x42 are far more common for typical users, particularly if they only have one pair, I would wager. I very rarely see 7x magnification or 32mm objectives in the field.

Justin

I haven't posted recently because I've been so stinking satisfied with my most used binos.

8.5 SV first. But not most used.

8x32 SV is the most used. Smaller, lighter, superb ergqonomics. It just does everything.

Mark

Binocular users in the BirdForum/Binoculars forum represent what I assume is a very small minority of binocular users

Justin

You are right Justin. Birdforum membership has just exceeded 158,000. Think about that number and reflect on how many folks actually post on binos or scopes. Members that post are clearly a tiny minority and to that extent are different from other members. But there is more. Birdforum is visited by thousands who are not members (we call them guests) and don't join because they have no intention to post anything, only to read. Some join after a while though but nevertheless the total readership (members plus guests) is astronomical compared with the numbers that actually post on binos or scopes.

Of course many members post elsewhere on the forum but that only emphasises that their interest is primarily not binos or scopes. Guests do flock to binos and scopes and can sometimes equal the number of members that visit a thread.

And they probably all have different views on what constitutes 'value for money' and often this can be driven by other demands on their income.

Lee

I haven't posted recently because I've been so stinking satisfied with my most used binos.

8.5 SV first. But not most used.

8x32 SV is the most used. Smaller, lighter, superb ergqonomics. It just does everything.

Mark

Yep, that was kind of what I meant by starting the thread in that what you may judge as your best binocular may not in fact be your most used (or even favorite) pair, depending on other qualities/circumstances.

Justin

For me, most used is one of my favorites thought not the "best" objectively speaking. It's my MHG 8x30. 95% of the time the quality jump to a x42 alpha is neither necessary or noticeable, and the light weight, wide field, and great ergonomics make it very enjoyable. I only carry the 8x42s on pelagics and inside of forest, and I carry 10x42s for demanding open country or shorebird situations.

Hello,

From the previous posts, it seems that 8x30/33 are favoured by almost half. If anyone named two, I counted that as a half, so I count 8 out of 17.This small sample is counter to current wisdom that the 32mm binoculars are unpopular. Of course, I count eleven North Americans and one post by someone who spends time in Barbados, which might skew results to the smaller objective.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Another whose most often used binocular is the 8x32, in my case the FL, although in summer I enjoy using 8x30 porros a lot. I can't say the Plastic Alpha is my favourite, in that I enjoy the experience of using others more, but is arguably the best binocular I own - super sharp, bright, compact, allows the use of glasses. Great combination of magnification, field of view and size.

Just tonight I am packing for a month in Brazil, leaving tomorrow. I am taking 8x42 SFs, of course, as they are my best and most all around bins. If It weren’t for the certainty of tropical forest birding I would take the MHG’s, they are so light and ergonomically excellent. Maybe I really should get an 8x32FL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back