• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown booby? Anguilla (1 Viewer)

xyz99

United States
This pic was taken last year in Anguilla - is it a brown booby? Any help appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• 274014838_f8U7Y-M.jpg
    274014838_f8U7Y-M.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 133
I've not seen one for many years, but yes it does look like it to me.

Does any other Booby show such a uniform Brown colour to the upper parts?

A Northern Gannet would also show an obvious White band on the uppertail coverts.

So I guess it would have to be a Brown Booby!

Young red-footed booby's also have brown upperparts, though head and neck are generally paler than mantle. It would also show a darker bill, where as adult brown booby has a yellow bill as per your photo.

This looks like a Brown Booby to me

Thanks - some web sites mentioned that juvenile brown boobies have brownish bellies, so this one might be a juvenile.

Agree with brown booby. As I understand it, red-footed booby should have dark secondaries when seen from above, even in juveniles; in the image here, there is no contrast secondaries vs coverts.

I see the bill as pinkish, which to my mind says that it cannot be a fresh juvenile bb (should have darker, bluish-gray bill), it has to be somewhat older (these take about three years to reach full adult plumage, it seems). Also the dark color of the head leads me to think it is older than one year. I don't think I can exclude at least some white on the underside from this image, I am not sure we can see the pertinent areas.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back