• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors being Robbed by Non-Raptors (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Went for a walk a couple of weeks ago and had seen plenty of Buzzards that day. One caught my eye - it was in the sky still and my bins picked up something dangling from its legs - it was quite big and appeared to be almost the body size of the Buzzard - lucky bird had just caught a rabbit it appeared.
I noticed it very still in the air. Either move out of the area or drop with it on to the field below. In the air it could catch the attention of other birds. Then I realised that nt very far from it were hundreds of LBB Gulls probaby hawking insects in the air. I felt sorry for the Buzzard frozen in the air with what could be a heavy meal with hundreds of strong hungry birds.

Eventually the Buzzard moved away from the area and closer to a second group of LBB Gulls - within seconds they had spotted the Buzzard and over 10 of them yelped and flew at the Buzzard trying to make it drop. Why eat small insects when an already dead rabbit could fill you up better?

The Buzzard held on and the Gulls attacked - surprisingly the Gulls did not attack as viciously as they could have done. They could have easily been more aggressive and made the Buzzard drop the rabbit. They flew at the Buzzard and yelped. I must say i admired how that Buzzard held on and probably covered half a mile easily with that heavy burden. Im guessing the Gulls were not that hungry that day. i did think the Buzzard would drop and i did watch just in case any of the other Buzzards, Goshawks, Ravens, Crows, Peregrines within the area might decide to have a go. Luckily the Buzzard most probably made it back to its chicks i guess - thats the only reason I guess the Buzzard would take ti so far.

i wonder how many of you have witnessed Raptors robbed by Skuas, Gulls, large Corvids....

i wonder how many of you have witnessed Raptors robbed by Skuas, Gulls, large Corvids....

This is a common occurance with the red kites in the Chilterns, probably because of their large size and slow gliding flight. Whilst not a threat, it is rather inconvenient for the kite to be mobbed. Sometimes, the corvids may see the kite as a potential threat - perhaps there are young nearby, or they could be attempting to steal food, etc.

I have watched a magpie sitting next to a kite whilst it is perching in a tree feeding. I have also watched a magpie pick up a piece of food dropped by the kite, only for it to be persued by several kites at top speed! The magpie soon dropped the food!

All the time. More amusing was a gang of five Black Kites turning the tables on an upstart Kestrel by chasing him all round the houses in the little French estuary settlement of Port Maubert. The noise was terrific.....|:D|

kites are birds of prey actually the OP was talking about NON birds of prey robbing birds of prey

This is actually exceptionally rare I have NEVER heard of a gull robbing a bird of prey but i have heard the other way around

I have seen gulls have a go at lots of BOP with food, including buzzards and owls, but they seem to leave the peregrines alone.......

Here's a different twist.While kayaking,I recently watched a newly fledged bald eagle perched in the top of a dead ,leafless tree on a riverbank. Half a dozen crows fluttered about noisily above and around the juvie who looked a bit dazed,perhaps not realizing that here was potential lunch.The crows eventually flew off and who should appear but an osprey divebombing the eagle.The eagle took flight but the osprey persisted in its attacks.After a short tussle Baby got away and the osprey did not follow.I'm curious as to how the osprey sensed that this was an immature target,as I don't believe it would have dared attack an adult.

so a large gull can rob a buzzard? im glad the buzzard i saw was nt robbed...i think he/she had a family to feed and got the rabbit tto them with dignity.....

would a coupe of ravens or a ska be able to rob a buzzrad?

I once watched a kestrel drop into the grass and catch a vole, and by the time she was in the air a raven was on her tail.
The raven chased the ketrel for about 10 seconds or so following every turn it made until it finally dropped the vole which the raven caught in its bill without missing a beat.

Poor Kestrel - must have taken the poor bird ages to find a bite to eat but only to be be robbed by a bird which has no special dietary needs.....

Kestrel Vs Weasel

Playing golf a few years ago I watched a Kestrel hovering. It dropped down onto something but didn't quite get there. The kestrel got about 2 feet from the ground when a weasel jumped up at the kestrel. Was quite comical seeing the kestrel divert.

Skuas I think are the only birds that pose a serious threat to birds of prey

I have a proven account of 2 skuas killing an adult healthy female snowy owl on her nest

Skuas are faster and more agile then birds of prey, and at the same time they are very powerful birds capable of killing them!

According to a very old book of mine great Skuas are known to rob gyrfalcons!

Not 100% along these lines but our local Egyptian Vulture nest was cleaned out by a greedy Golden Eagle this year....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back