• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corona virus threat to birding (2 Viewers)

Actually I think the problem is a complete lack of ranking, no sense of priorities whatever. Any possibility however remote is a source of panic. For example, the total paranoia about surface transmission, which wasn't even mentioned as a significant factor in the spread of C19 in the WHO report from Wuhan. I was going to say it "focused" on aerosol droplets in proximity to infected individuals, but that is the only transmission mode it identified at all. I don't pile my mail for three days, though I wash up after opening it.

People can reserve the right to take sensible precautions. If you are in the elderly and/or vulnerable part of society than it would seem once health services are in your trouble your best bet at survival is To not catch it in the first place.

Since it does persist on surfaces, and can enter the body, and you can catch it when it enters the body, would you not be wary, even if it wasn't mentioned in some report? (They did spend an awful lot of time doing an awful lot of street disinfection etc in Wuhan).

With regards worry - You can get killed just crossing the road - you're not going to stop going out and crossing roads to get to places because of the risks involved. But you don't start crossing roads with your eyes closed either ...

Last edited:
With regards worry - You can get killed just crossing the road - you're not going to stop going out and crossing roads to get to places because of the risks involved. But you don't start crossing roads with your eyes closed either ...[/QUOTE]

You don't have to go as far as the road to get killed. The home is where most accidents occur.

In the UK just under 1800 people will die in a year on the roads. Upwards of 6000 die each year from accidents in the home. Many thousands more will be injured and require treatment at A&E or admission to hospital. Now more of us are at home, including most children, there is a danger that these numbers increase considerably.

We should all be taking extra care at home, the NHS will not be pleased if more of us turn up at A&E with fractures, concussion, burns or scalds, and I'm sure none of us want to be there.

Risk assess everything. Much of it is common sense but that seems to be lacking in many, if social distancing is anything to go by.

Stay safe everyone

Lewis

Indeed. Absolutely beggars belief because it is not true. The incident is set out accurately upthread. No ring ouzel. No twitchers. Short-eared Owls at Hawling:-

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildl...d-owl-today-at-hawling-gloucestershire/837668

For the avoidance of doubt, by posting the link, I am not suggesting any of the individuals posting were involved, I am simply posting the detail of the birds.

For anyone wishing to try and steer a way through the media spin, conflicting government statements, etc, the Statutory Instrument is now published - number 350 of 2020.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made

Of course, none of that alters the need to stay at home and save lives.

All the best

Actually I think the problem is a complete lack of ranking, no sense of priorities whatever. Any possibility however remote is a source of panic. For example, the total paranoia about surface transmission, which wasn't even mentioned as a significant factor in the spread of C19 in the WHO report from Wuhan. I was going to say it "focused" on aerosol droplets in proximity to infected individuals, but that is the only transmission mode it identified at all. I don't pile my mail for three days, though I wash up after opening it.

It's all about being in control.

Many Americans want to do SOMETHING. They don't like being unable to control their lives. Because our ability to limit contact with other people is minimal, especially when we are being forced to work, ride the bus/subway, etc., the only thing the control freaks can focus on is disinfectants and the focus on surfaces. But to paraphrase the experts, the virus sets its own timeline.

The other group of Americans want to prove you can't control them. That's why you have idiots out partying at spring break, rich bastards leaving NYC to g to their second homes in the Hamptons, or even worse, moron coughing on and licking products in grocery stores.

As to the times that the virus lingers on surfaces, read some of the more detailed articles. One lab put a droplet with viruses on different surfaces, and measured the half life of the virus. They then estimated how long their initial concentration would be reduced to a minimal (non-communicable? non-detectable?) concentration. But since it's half life based, the time to functional extinction is a function of the initial concentration, not an absolute.

With regards worry - You can get killed just crossing the road - you're not going to stop going out and crossing roads to get to places because of the risks involved.
No, not normally. But many seem willing to stop doing practically everything because of the risks in this case, instead of figuring out where they mainly lie.

No, not normally. But many seem willing to stop doing practically everything because of the risks in this case, instead of figuring out where they mainly lie.

I agree .. except the known knows aren't really known. But I suspect we'll only really know the right way of going about things after its all over ...

There's a lot of big experiments going on right now. I think I read earlier that Sweden isn't going into lockdown for example ...

Britons here seem exquisitely sensitive to any sense of shame at indulging in something others don't, while in America I think the common tendency is to resent any restriction of liberty. Few here would be likely to feel ashamed at being caught birding even if it were prohibited.

Some are also completely pxxxxed off that they are following the rules when others are not. So it’s a mixture of high horse, holyer than thow and jealousy as well...

Some are also completely pxxxxed off that they are following the rules when others are not. So it’s a mixture of high horse, holyer than thow and jealousy as well...

and some are simply just concerned that other peoples’ behaviour might be putting the lives of their loved ones at risk.

Indeed. Absolutely beggars belief because it is not true.

So did the Wildlife Officer PC Westmacott make it up?

“Police said 10 cars and 15 people had set themselves up next to one another with long-sighted cameras and binoculars.
Wildlife crime officer PC Nick Westmacott said: "All of their details were obtained, and they were politely told to go home.”

Was this an old archive story or something then- gets curioser and curioser

So did the Wildlife Officer PC Westmacott make it up?

“Police said 10 cars and 15 people had set themselves up next to one another with long-sighted cameras and binoculars.
Wildlife crime officer PC Nick Westmacott said: "All of their details were obtained, and they were politely told to go home.”

Was this an old archive story or something then- gets curioser and curioser

No. I was pointing out that it was photographers at Hawling Short-eared Owls rather than a fictional Ring Ouzel twitch at Cleeve Common.

The incident is set out accurately upthread. No ring ouzel. No twitchers. Short-eared Owls at Hawling:-

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildl...d-owl-today-at-hawling-gloucestershire/837668

For the avoidance of doubt, by posting the link, I am not suggesting any of the individuals posting were involved, I am simply posting the detail of the birds.

My confidence is based on a Gloucester birder who has tweeted today from first hand information and the story on the BBC website is simply wrong:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-52047532

"About 15 twitchers from across England congregated at an undisclosed spot in Cleeve Common, near Cheltenham, after the ring ouzel was reportedly spotted."

It is interesting that the story is not credited.

All the best

Last edited:
Bizarre selective quoting. Do you really not understand that I am pointing out that it was photographers at Hawling Short-eared Owls rather than a fictional Ring Ouzel twitch at Cleeve Common.

My confidence is based on a Gloucester birder who has tweeted today from first hand information and the story on the BBC website is simply wrong:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-52047532

"About 15 twitchers from across England congregated at an undisclosed spot in Cleeve Common, near Cheltenham, after the ring ouzel was reportedly spotted."

It is interesting that the story is not credited.

All the best

To be honest it wasn't all that clear.

(Genuine) Fake News from the BBC does seem surprising - is there no way to contact/get the story retracted or corrected??

To be honest it wasn't all that clear.

(Genuine) Fake News from the BBC does seem surprising - is there no way to contact/get the story retracted or corrected??

Which is why I re-edited mine straight away........

No. I was pointing out that it was photographers at Hawling Short-eared Owls rather than a fictional Ring Ouzel twitch at Cleeve Common.

Apologies. Lets face it. The strain is showing on almost all of us!

No. I was pointing out that it was photographers at Hawling Short-eared Owls rather than a fictional Ring Ouzel twitch

Ok - it didn’t help that the RSPB link dates back to a blog entry about SEO sightings in February 2014

I suppose the issue is any group of 15 or so birders/photographers driving anywhere regardless of the location or the species of bird they go to look at, will be ‘sent home’ - it does all feel a little oppressive to be sure.

btw I selected the quote to make my point about whether the police had their facts wrong or were spreading untrue stories (which I thought unlikely!)- I had no ‘bizarre’ reasons for doing so

I misunderstood what you were trying to say - apologies

Last edited:
Ok - it didn’t help that the RSPB link dates back to a blog entry about SEO sightings in February 2014

I suppose the issue is any group of 15 or so birders/photographers driving anywhere regardless of the location or the species of bird they go to look at, will be ‘sent home’ - it does all feel a little oppressive to be sure.

Apologies. I probably just confused it even more. Oppressive for a reason as I am sure we both agree. Stay safe and I hope you and your loved ones emerge safely from the other side.

Last edited:
For anyone wishing to try and steer a way through the media spin, conflicting government statements, etc, the Statutory Instrument is now published - number 350 of 2020.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made

Of course, none of that alters the need to stay at home and save lives.

All the best

I was waiting for some legislation which explicitly makes clear what restrictions are placed on exercise.

There are none but exercise is considered a reasonable excuse to leave the home to the same degree that shopping is, therefore, as I'm sure you can drive to the shop, you must be able to drive to your place of exercise.

There is also a failure to state how far you can travel to do these things and we are still left trying to determine what the limits are on the word 'essential'

As I work in food, I am commuting to work still. On that commute, a couple of miles detour will put me on a decent nature reserve to exercise.

This is my current plan and I can not see that this creates any additional risk to exercising near home (probably reduces it), nor does it seem to contravene this legislation.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this.

I was waiting for some legislation which explicitly makes clear what restrictions are placed on exercise.

There are none but exercise is considered a reasonable excuse to leave the home to the same degree that shopping is, therefore, as I'm sure you can drive to the shop, you must be able to drive to your place of exercise.

There is also a failure to state how far you can travel to do these things and we are still left trying to determine what the limits are on the word 'essential'

As I work in food, I am commuting to work still. On that commute, a couple of miles detour will put me on a decent nature reserve to exercise.

This is my current plan and I can not see that this creates any additional risk to exercising near home (probably reduces it), nor does it seem to contravene this legislation.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this.

People are still interpreting the guidelines to suit themselves.

When asked to clarify the rules, an expert on the 'Beeb' said that driving anywhere for non essential reasons is out. The police are now using drones at some places so if you want to bend and test the rules, don't expect a whip round to help pay your fine. The time is close to seeing examples being made of rule breakers to deter others.

Last edited:
Andy is right. You can try and apply logic to it but that doesn’t work but I understand the need for clarity, as was needed in France.

Here you are allowed to food shop, medical stuff, walking the dog, work (if you are going to work it has to be an ‘approved’ job that cannot be done at home - with proof that it cannot be executed at home), exercise is limited to one hour per day and within a 1km radius of your home, child care arrangements to support any of the above...

So if you are driving and divert you break the rules, if you are not in your car outside of these guidelines you are breaking the rules etc etc in France, Italy you have to sign a bit of paper with date and time that states what you are doing - on my honor. In England a police will ask you those questions - if he believes you you’re fine if he doesn’t you’re fined...

People are still interpreting the guidelines to suit themselves.

When asked to clarify the rules, an expert on the 'Beeb' said that driving anywhere for non essential reasons is out. The police are now using drones at some places so if you want to bend and test the rules, don't expect a whip round to help pay your fine. The time is close to seeing examples being made of rule breakers to deter others.

Hopefully common sense will deter the rule breakers!:C

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back