• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mink becoming rare while fisher increases (1 Viewer)

maersk

mink are becoming rare in my area (kalamazoo) cause of all the toxic crap they dumped in the kalamazoo river during the 1960's-70's, in fact there is a local program to get the species numbers up, but it still has a long way to go. sad to see an animal that was so common around here become almost extinct......

fishers are however, doing quite well in the northern part of the state and are even expanding their range to the south. maybe ill get to see one around here in my lifetime.

maersk said:
mink are becoming rare in my area (kalamazoo) cause of all the toxic crap they dumped in the kalamazoo river during the 1960's-70's, in fact there is a local program to get the species numbers up, but it still has a long way to go. sad to see an animal that was so common around here become almost extinct......

fishers are however, doing quite well in the northern part of the state and are even expanding their range to the south. maybe ill get to see one around here in my lifetime.

We could send you some of the ones we have in the U.K. which I think are the same species!! We want rid of them because they are an alien species here and are seriously affecting at least one native species of mammal. Perhaps we could do a swap for some house sparrows which are similarly a pest in some parts of the U.S.A. but are native here and declining!!!

Keith

P.S. What are fishers?

and yes, fishers are just big dark martens. the biggest species of marten in fact. the size of a mid sized dog, only on short legs.

there are also rapidly expanding populations of stone martens in wisconsin and illinois. they where introduced there from spain in the 1960's to provide a new species to fur-farm, however they escaped and estabilished themselves here.

maersk said:
however they escaped and estabilished themselves here.

Hi Maersk

Now where have I read this before.

I wonder how many species of animals that were taken to another country for what ever purposes escaped and established themselves.

If the Martens are doing better than the minks they are probably hardier.

actually mink are fairly abundant in the surrounding areas, just not on the kalamazoo river. all the PCPs dumped into the river by the paper mills almost killed the river and its only in the past 10 years that its been cleaned up.

Please can we fill the rest of the mink crate we are sending with the grey squirrels you kindly supplied us with too!!
Now, if we could send the rabbits back to their rightful owner too, that would be great!

maersk said:
and yes, fishers are just big dark martens. the biggest species of marten in fact. the size of a mid sized dog, only on short legs.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the name has nothing to do with fish or fishing, but it was named after a person called Fisher, and was originally Fisher's Marten.

Have I got that right, or am I losing it entirely?

your right, fishers almost never actually eat fish (unless they find it onshore) im not sure where the name comes from, i think a guy named pennant discovered it (hence the scientific name, martes pennanti) they are very well known as the only preadator that regularly kills and eats porcupines. (by flipping them on their back and ripping them open)

Hello we have recently got a HUGe fisher population also but like the coyotes here they are VERY peoploe shy and tend to stay out in the country areas I know fishers will kill foxes and their cubs but what is the relationship between them and raccoonns? both animals are extremly powerful and can have fearce dispostions id lo

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back