• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jos's Butterflies ...some for discussion (1 Viewer)

I thought the season was coming to an end - the last couple of weeks have seen a general decline in numbers of species and individuals - but today was just excellent! Many new butterflies on the wing, dozens on the commoner Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks and Brimstones, a scattering of Red Admirals and then came across a meadow of fritillaries. Top of the bunch were several real nice Queen of Spain Fritillaries, also a lot of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries. Then came across one more - have to say it's another that puzzling me, narrowed it to a couple of species, then considering it might be a worn individual of another. Was not a large fritillary and very 'dingy', but what seems distinctive is this brown spot on the forewing almost totally circled by orange. So, what is it?

Pictures 1 & 2 Queen of Spain Fritillary
Pictures 3 & 4 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
Picture 5 ???

Attachments

• Fritillary - Queen of Spain1-thumb.jpg
    Fritillary - Queen of Spain1-thumb.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Fritillary - Queen of Spain2-thumb.jpg
    Fritillary - Queen of Spain2-thumb.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Fritillary - Small Pearl-bordered u2-thumb.jpg
    Fritillary - Small Pearl-bordered u2-thumb.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 85
  • Fritillary - Small Pearl-bordered u3-thumb.jpg
    Fritillary - Small Pearl-bordered u3-thumb.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Fritillary - question -thumb.jpg
    Fritillary - question -thumb.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 92
Jos Stratford said:
I thought the season was coming to an end - the last couple of weeks have seen a general decline in numbers of species and individuals - but today was just excellent! Many new butterflies on the wing, dozens on the commoner Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks and Brimstones, a scattering of Red Admirals and then came across a meadow of fritillaries. Top of the bunch were several real nice Queen of Spain Fritillaries, also a lot of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries. Then came across one more - have to say it's another that puzzling me, narrowed it to a couple of species, then considering it might be a worn individual of another. Was not a large fritillary and very 'dingy', but what seems distinctive is this brown spot on the forewing almost totally circled by orange. So, what is it?

Pictures 1 & 2 Queen of Spain Fritillary
Pictures 3 & 4 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
Picture 5 ???
Try Clossiana frigga (Friggas Fritillary) for 5, it shows all the correct features,unfortunately my distribution map for this species dosen't cover your area. Also Lesser marbled f.(Brenthnis ino) looks worth a look.

Colin.

mothman said:
Try Clossiana frigga (Friggas Fritillary) for 5, it shows all the correct features,unfortunately my distribution map for this species dosen't cover your area.

Thanks, this was number one on my 'possibles' list - but until now it only occurs at one site in Lithuania ...about 60 km from where this one was! Mind you, observer coverage is next to zero in this country and I've found quite a few new birds for the country, so it is not beyond possibility that it is, in fact, more widespread.

Last edited:
Jos Stratford said:
Thanks, this was number one on my 'possibles' list - but until now it only occurs at one site in Lithuania ...about 60 km from where this one was! Mind you, observer coverage is next to zero in this country and I've found quite a few new birds for the country, so it is not beyond possibility that it is, in fact, more widespread.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it is a dark form of Boloria selene. I have also found a similar form from Estonia. B. frigga flies on marshes or bogs in June and July and it is a northern species, very rare in Lithuania.

hjalava said:
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it is a dark form of Boloria selene. I have also found a similar form from Estonia. B. frigga flies on marshes or bogs in June and July and it is a northern species, very rare in Lithuania.

Interesting stuff, this butterfly identification! Do you, by chance, know of any internet sites with a photo of selene dark form? If this were frigga, I'm aware this would be very rare, hence my hesitation in identifying and opening it up for discussion. Incidently, the known location for frigga is actually 60 km south of where this one was photographed. Agree with flight period not being condusive, though habitat is okay - area is meadows and marshes. Once again, thanks for help to all.

Jos Stratford said:
Interesting stuff, this butterfly identification! Do you, by chance, know of any internet sites with a photo of selene dark form? If this were frigga, I'm aware this would be very rare, hence my hesitation in identifying and opening it up for discussion. Incidently, the known location for frigga is actually 60 km south of where this one was photographed. Agree with flight period not being condusive, though habitat is okay - area is meadows and marshes. Once again, thanks for help to all.

Pictures of B. selene: http://www.dlc.fi/~peterpa/lepi/historia/nymphalidae/bol-selene.htm, especially under the text: 'laajentuneet täplät' (= dilated speckles).

Pictures of B. frigga:http://www.dlc.fi/~peterpa/lepi/historia/nymphalidae/bol-frigga.htm.

Jos Stratford said:
An excellent website, thanks. And indeed there is my 'mystery' butterfly - the dark form selene as you said! How common is this dark form? You said you saw this form in Estonia, but just one?

Hi, Jos

Yes, I have seen it only once. It is not very common; it might not be seen every year at one location.

All these lovely new websites!-don't forget to post them on the URLS for butterfly and moths sticky folks, and then they wont get lost. :t:

Colin.

i.d. hints on yellows?

The clouded yellow complex is stll confusing me!

Opened this thread with a Pale Clouded Yellow (Colias hyale) with I had photographed and was happy to hear it confirmed. However, much as I have looked at photographs of the two, I cannot say I am still confident splitting Clouded and Pale Clouded correctly - neither are numerous up here, but so far I think I have only seen Pale Clouded.

A week back, I photographed this one. What are the distinguishing features that would lead me to identifying it as another Pale Clouded Yellow? (they never settle to allow me to see the upper wing)

Attachments

• Yellow-thumb.jpg
    Yellow-thumb.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Hi Jos,

I find this group really hard too and I'm rarely able to be sure of what I'm seeing. Having said that I reckon that Clouded Yellow (crocea) usually has a distinctly orange tone to the upperwing, which is normally pretty obvious even in flight. How Pale Clouded Yellow can be distinguished from Berger's Clouded is beyond me though!

Thanks Andrew, that's about the best I could come too as well (about the orangy tone in flight) and, if it is correct, then I'd say all so far on my land have been Pale Clouded Yelllows.

Remaining hot and sunny up here, and a good flush of late butterflies - had a Brown Hairstreak in my garden yesterday and another today on my local patch.

Andrew said:
Any good butterflies on the wing yet this year Jos?

Highlights so far this year all came earlier - good flush of Swallowtails, Green Hairstreaks, Dingy Skippers, Queen of Spain Fritillary, Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell, Camberwell Beauty, etc. Expecting good things over the next days - forecast is unbroken sun and high temperatures. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back