• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leica noctvid 10x42 vs swarovski sv 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Nase

I am very curious what are the differences between this top models in therms of clarity, brightness, contrast and sharpness? Thanks!

Maybe he would like to hear what others see.

Looking at all the post the OP has made it would appear that all he is interested in is what "others" see to satisfy his curiosity.

Nase, I would suggest doing research (web searches, actually reading posts) about the bins you are curious about compare the input and build an idea around that.

Many consider the Noctvid superior in Contrast, Glare Control and a Very Life Like View.

The SV is also a great bin but may fall shorter behind the Noctvid in those areas.

But to answer your question in reality, would take you to find out for your self what is best suited for your needs and wants.

Another way to answer your question :
"what are the differences between this top models in therms of clarity, brightness, contrast and sharpness?" = Very Little (but that very little could be huge to YOU) :t:

I have looked through a pair, but have not compared with my EL SV.

The view was very "pleasant" which isn't much of an answer, or at all helpful.

Last edited:
I am very curious what are the differences between this top models in therms of clarity, brightness, contrast and sharpness? Thanks!

I have these two models.

It would be hard for me to say that either is better, but they are different.

IMO it's going to come down to personal preference. If there is a dealer close to you that stocks the SV 10X42 go look at it. If it suits your fancy, buy it with confidence. Few will dispute its quality or Swarovski's reputation. No real reason to second guess yourself.

Added a couple of pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_3475_4.jpg
    IMG_3475_4.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 433
  • DSC_0565.JPG
    DSC_0565.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 429
I have these two models.

IMO it's going to come down to personal preference. If there is a dealer close to you that stocks the SV 10X42 go look at it. If it suits your fancy, buy it with confidence. Few will dispute its quality or Swarovski's reputation. No real reason to second guess yourself.

Probably the best answer you're going to get.

I have these two models.

Chuck, I know that it's entirely personal, and as such this may seem like an unnecessary or loaded question, but I'd be interested to know which is your personal favourite - if indeed you have one. And, without wishing to put words in your mouth, if you do have a favourite, would it depend on circumstance and what you're viewing?

Cheers,

Michael.

If it's Guildford with a d, try London Camera Exchange Guildford.
If they haven't got one in stock, they'll get one in a couple of days.

Chuck, I know that it's entirely personal, and as such this may seem like an unnecessary or loaded question, but I'd be interested to know which is your personal favourite - if indeed you have one. And, without wishing to put words in your mouth, if you do have a favourite, would it depend on circumstance and what you're viewing?

Cheers,

Michael.

PERSONAL favorite?

I can honestly say since I purchased the Noctivid 10X42, I have used it the most. IMO I find the image a little more pleasing in most situations. The focus is a little smoother(pre Field Pro SV), the eye cups are better at allowing me to get the exact distance I need for use with eye glasses, and it's NEW! B :) It has performed without fail or flaw to this point. I have owned it since the middle of January 2017.

Looking through Chuck's NV's earlier this year, I ordered a pair from Eagle Optics the same day as I recall - I was supposed to keep his pair overnight, but it was immediately evident my search was over. Up to that point I had spent hours looking through everything I could get my hands on re Leicas, Zeiss HT's and SF's (Woods and Water showroom), SV's (Gander Mountain and Bass Pro showrooms).

My two favorite images when coupled with industrial design, feel in hands and everything else., pretty much hands down were the UVHD+ 7x42, and the NV 8x42, but I had never held an NV until Chuck loaned me his (honorable mention must go to HT 8x42's and UVHD+ 10x50's). I am still kicking myself for selling off the 7x42's, but I may forgive myself if a highly unlikely 7x42 NV ever comes to market.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Looking through Chuck's NV's earlier this year, I ordered a pair from Eagle Optics the same day as I recall - I was supposed to keep his pair overnight, but it was immediately evident my search was over. Up to that point I had spent hours looking through everything I could get my hands on re Leicas, Zeiss HT's and SF's (Woods and Water showroom), SV's (Gander Mountain and Bass Pro showrooms).

My two favorite images when coupled with industrial design, feel in hands and everything else., pretty much hands down were the UVHD+ 7x42, and the NV 8x42, but I had never held an NV until Chuck loaned me his (honorable mention must go to HT 8x42's and UVHD+ 10x50's). I am still kicking myself for selling off the 7x42's, but I may forgive myself if a highly unlikely 7x42 NV ever comes to market.

I, like Chuck, have an UVHD+ 7X42 and NV 10X42. That seems to me to be the ultimate combo. NV 8x42 and UVHD+ 10x50 must be a nice pair as well though! ;)

Look with your eyes

Go to your nearest Rspb reserve with a shop, They stock a great range including Swaros,Leicester, Nikon etc. Soyoucacompare side by side.
I know you live in Guildford so it's to faraway from Rspb od mor where I volunteer. We would let you have all the time you need to compare in a Birdwatching environment. .
Plus if you buy from a reserve with shop and caf the profit goes into the reserve to help wildlife because they are self supporting

Brightness:

"The brightness of a binocular is important to birders, especially if they like to go out owling or want to watch woodcocks displaying at dawn. To check out the brightness of our test binoculars in dim conditions, we took them outside and compared what we coud see on our resolution chart as the light diminished.

However, we found no perceptible differences in the brightness of Zeiss (SF), Swarovski (EL), and Leica (NVD) binoculars. This is what one would expect, considering they all have special glass and the most advanced coatings. They all have light transmission specifications over 90%. It would take expensive scientific instruments to objectively detect any difference this small. Your eye doesn't see it. Since we scored all three binoculars as perfect in brightness, brightness did not contribute to any difference in the overall scores.

https://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2017_titans_revisited/review.html

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread, meant for 92% vs. 95% thread.

Last edited:
I am still kicking myself for selling off the 7x42's, but I may forgive myself if a highly unlikely 7x42 NV ever comes to market.

Try not to kick yourself too hard. My wife loves the 7x42 we purchased from you.

You know -- the new 7x35 from Leica looks really interesting. Perhaps one of those might make you feel better? |:d|

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back