• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

upgrade from 350D....40D or 50D? (1 Viewer)

Spot on, Frank.

I'll take that bet ...... but only after we carefully define what we mean by "about". ?

Within 27.29411876%, give or take. ;)

Actually, I'm glad I went through those calculations. It made me realise just how much bigger cropped images would be - 20% extra in linear dimensions. I might even be buying a 50D this weekend after that.

I have both the 40D and 50D, both the cameras are a good upgrade from the 350D, I suggest you go for the 50D, due to the 1 to 1.5 stop advantage on noise level against the 40D. I know the shooting conditions you are facing since both you and me are shooting in the same region.

Any chance of some sample images to show this, I've yet to see any evidence that the 50D handles noise better than the 40D, in fact images I've seen on the web suggest the exact opposite.

I have also owned a 400D and two 40Ds. Nothing to choose between these three either, except that I missed the back control wheel on the 400D and believe that it got exposures wrong more often than the 20Ds and 40Ds.

I'm amazed to hear you say that - I owned both 40D and 400D at the same time and saw a very clear difference in image quality. It was so obvious to me (tests done with a tripod and a 500 f4 showed this too) that I got rid of teh 400D for a second 40D.

Roy, we all crop as much as we have to. Some of my published shots are 100% crops - not too many, but a few. I'm not for one moment saying that a 100% crop for artistic reasons is a bad thing (though of course it's better to avoid that if you can). The point here is that if you take the same shot from the same place of the same poor little bird with the same lens, and for artistic reasons you need to take a 100% crop from the 40D image to get your finished image, you will only need to take a 66% crop from the otherwise identical 50D image. Or, if the bird is so small in frame that you need a 100% crop from the 50D, then to print it at the same size from the 40D image you need to take a "150% crop" - i.e., enlarge the 100% 40D crop from (say) 640 x 480 to something like 800 x 600! And the result, of course, will be well below the quality of the 50D result either way.
Tannin, I appreciated what you are saying but I am not explaining my point very well (I even confuse myself sometimes ;) )
Not sure if my maths is right here or not but this is how I see it:

I very often take a 800 x 533 crop (426kb) from the 40D and get a acceptable image for my purposes.
Now I know that to get the bird the same size in the frame from the 50D I need only take a 980 x 653 crop (640kb) and probably the noise will be no worst than the 40D but I am trying to be greedy 8-P I want to be able to take a 800 x 533 crop (426kb) from the 50D thus giving me a more aggressive crop than I could manage on the 40D. Is the noise and detail from the 50D 426kb crop going to be equal to the 426kb crop from the 40D? (now I know that people say this is not comparing eggs with eggs but this would be my main reason to upgrade to the 50D)

There has to be a limit on what the lens will resolve, the smaller the area on the chip the less the lens will resolve however good the chip is and however good the lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back