View Single Post
Old Sunday 7th June 2020, 06:34   #6
andyadcock

Location: Nottingham, UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Figs View Post
Etudiant, that's exactly the case! In less than a day I've noticed one sitting on a couple of twigs.

The fledgling is honestly harmless (except for the pooping), he's very cute and i'm growing very fond of him but my biggest issue are the mites. A close relative of ours had a very horrible experience with them. Over the years they have overpopulated in her house to the point where they started noticing small insects creeping inside their house. Her children's beds are littered with them. They scratch nonstop. They got bitten on their scalp and whole bodies.

Today I saw one sitting on the nest but I wasn't aware that there was an egg in there. A very small one almost invisible. I did something so drastic and cut out the entire shrub which I was very very fond of that took forever to grow over the shade I built which they've insisting is their new home.

I feel horrible I took her egg. I feel a sting in my heart every time I remember it, but I think most pigeons lay 2 eggs and if there's one then she should have another one soon.

My immune system is not great and my body can't handle medications well so I'm always afraid of having a big number of them living on my balcony like this especially when I wanted to use the balcony in the first place to destress during this pandemic and we're mostly in lockdown.

Instead, I don't go out because I don't want to bother them when the eggs hatched. But now I'm trying to put my foot down and take back my balcony. I really really feel colonized in my own home. They're very persistent creatures. Very cute but stubborn and aggressive.

I wish there's a humane harmless way to scare them off. I was thinking of installing a flag or a wind mill over the shade but they'll probably grow used to it, won't they?
Remove the eggs as soon as you see them and then the nest, you may have to consider some netting to keep them out.