• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Landstuhl, Germany (1 Viewer)

Hi all.

I'm over here at Landstuhl for a mid length contract and am looking for good birding spots in Western Germany, Eastern France.
I especially would like to see/take pictures of a black woodpecker.
If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Dallas

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I've moved your request to the Germany sub-forum where, hopefully, you'll get some feedback from our members from that country. Good luck :t:

Hello,

I never was in this area.
For orientation a map ( sorry only german language ) of some good spots.

http://www.birdinggermany.de/baden-wurttemberg.htm
http://www.norbert-kuehnberger.de/hessen1.html

One of the best place should be so called Wagbachniederung.

Maybe contact this people at this homepage
http://www.vogelkunde-untermain.de/

click button "Mail an Untermain" ( the second last button )

For woodpeckers Bavarian is better.
If you are want to visit this area, let me know, I do quite ofter bird tours there.

http://www.birdinggermany.de/bavarianwoodpeckers.htm

The best birding spots in Germany between Berlin and Baltic sea.
Some of this like lake Guelper Sea or Nationalpark Vorpommersche Boddenlandschaft belongs to the best birding spots in Europe.
Especially in autumn ( 2. - 4. week of October ) is possible to see huge numbers of birds like cranes, geese, ducks and of course also White-tailed Eagles.
Eventhough most spectacular are mating season in spring of Great Bustard in Buckow, 50 miles west of Berlin.

Best regards
Dieter

Last edited:
Black Woodpecker should be "all around" to the east of you, although I can't help you with locations. That part of Germany is good for Cirl Bunting, Rock Bunting and Melodious Warbler, which are all rare elsewhere in Germany.

ornitho.de may be your best bet to find local birds: there are some active birders in the area. You may need to enter some data before you can search their database (well).
There's a good book on finding birds in southern Germany, although it is sadly in German which I assume could be a barrier!

Hi, Forests and woodlands around Landstuhl and the surrounding areas are peppered with woodpeckers. The forest around Landstuhl castle is quite a good location, also the woodlands between LMC and Ramstein are interesting places.
Members of www.ornitho.de occasionally list sightings in the KL area, the website is a great resource and multi language....which helps :)

Weilerbach vogelschutzgebiet (bird sanctuary) is about 20 minutes drive from Landstuhl, bit tricky (and lucky) to spot woodpeckers, but if nothing else it offers a wonderful landscape.

Cheers,

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a black woodpecker in eastern Germany. Seriously, any wooded area with some acreage and you'll see them (if you look closely.)

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a black woodpecker in eastern Germany. Seriously, any wooded area with some acreage and you'll see them (if you look closely.)

Thanks. I've been hitting the forests and heard woodpeckers. Just haven't tracked a black one down. Have some nice pictures of Greens.
I'd also like to see a three toed....

Dallas

Go towards Kaiserslautern on Kaiserstrasse. Just past the swimming baths and school there's a turning on the right up a track into the woods. That's Black Pecker city! While you're in the area, visit Silbersee for spectacular Starling roosts (and have a beer in the restaurant/bar there)!

SJV

Dallas

Go towards Kaiserslautern on Kaiserstrasse. Just past the swimming baths and school there's a turning on the right up a track into the woods. That's Black Pecker city! While you're in the area, visit Silbersee for spectacular Starling roosts (and have a beer in the restaurant/bar there)!

SJV

Thanks, Simon.

I'll head up there this weekend.

Cheers,

Dallas

Thanks. I've been hitting the forests and heard woodpeckers. Just haven't tracked a black one down. Have some nice pictures of Greens.
I'd also like to see a three toed....
Three-toed is very difficult (also because it doesn't make a lot of noise, unlike Black): closest ones are in the Black Forest, with the Feldberg giving the best possibilities.

Welcome aboard!
I've seen one Black Woody here near my hometown last autumn (Mayen, Eifel).
But my first and only so far.
Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back