• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Saint James Park, London (1 Viewer)

Kristina Valinciene

Hello, what can you say about birds in Saint James park in London. Are they wild or are kept as park birds? For example Ruddy shelduck, red-breasted goose, bar headed goose, white headed duck and hooded merganser? My husband its says it is looks like a free mini zoo for the tourist to come to the park to feed the ducks and squirrels, it is one more attraction for tourist. So that to do tick seen birds on the list or not? I don't tick an escape birds from collections or zoos on my list. Thanks
:-C

Yes a large collection there but there are many wild birds there too such as the Tufted Duck + Pochard with in winter small numbers of Shoveler + Gadwall. Though not truly wild some of the Black Swans are free flying + turned up there having been in Hyde Park.

Best thing is to see if any individual bird is pinioned. Any that are are collection birds though there may be some unpinioned that aren't truly wild. Quite a large population of feral Red-crested Pochard that move about the central London parks.

Yes St.James's park is a good place to "casual" bird, not seen Black Swans in flight (must have been some spectacle!), however, once saw a Pelican in "flight" that was something! and many years ago now, saw a Silver Gull amongst the BHGulls, albeit an escape but! totally unexpected at the time.

I had two free-flying Black Swans at Pagham North Wall earlier this year, and I know they've bred near Titchfield Haven. I wonder how many there are, and whether the BOURC needs to review status soon so as to perform their Government poodle duty and call for action against them instead of categorising them iaw their own criteria?

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back