• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Robin Nest Abandoned? (1 Viewer)

jurrubin

My wife and I recently moved to the Bentonville Arkansas area and have had a robin build a nest on the corner post of a backyard pergola upright that's under roof eaves. She laid an egg but then was spooked out of the nest by my opening the back door. We've avoided doing that since then but it has now been a week since we've seen the robin at the nest at all. And night temperatures have dropped do the upper 50s/lower 60s during that time. Since we're retired and one of us is always home during the day and evening, we're concerned that she may have abandoned the nest and egg.

How long will a robin leave the nest with an egg in it but not have abandoned it? A week seems a bit long but we're new to robin behavior. Any help would be appreciated.

My wife and I recently moved to the Bentonville Arkansas area and have had a robin build a nest on the corner post of a backyard pergola upright that's under roof eaves. She laid an egg but then was spooked out of the nest by my opening the back door. We've avoided doing that since then but it has now been a week since we've seen the robin at the nest at all. And night temperatures have dropped do the upper 50s/lower 60s during that time. Since we're retired and one of us is always home during the day and evening, we're concerned that she may have abandoned the nest and egg.

How long will a robin leave the nest with an egg in it but not have abandoned it? A week seems a bit long but we're new to robin behavior. Any help would be appreciated.

I think you can safely treat the nest as abandoned. After a week, it’s doubtful if the egg is still viable. . ..

Last edited:
Hm, American Robins are usually pretty tolerant of human activity. I'd take a closer look at the nest to see if there's a bird sitting on it. You might have not noticed the robins coming and going.

On the other hand, I'm seeing juvenile robins around already, and I'm way north of you. Your egg may have failed weeks ago, with the parents stubbornly staying on it until last week.

On the third hand, I can't recall ever seeing a robin's nest with just one egg in it. Perhaps the nest was repeatedly raided, e.g. by crows, and then abandoned once empty.

Thank you for the replies and info.

Unfortunately, the robin still hasn't returned at all and now another bird has dumped the egg onto the concrete patio where it shattered. Nothing but yolk inside so definitely not viable. Looks like the nest is definitely abandoned. :( Ah, well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back