• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The not German Germain in German's Swiftlet … in French (1 Viewer)

I'd read 'Xbre' as December, not October. ('decem' = 10 = 'X'.)
I agree with the rest -- born 13 Apr 1827 in Givet (Ardennes), deceased 26 Dec 1912 in Brantôme (Dordogne).

Also note the other documents, in Leonore (Archives Nationales), following the same link (in Post #20):

In No. 1, 7, 11, 12,13,14-15, 16, 18-19/19 he's: Louis Rodolphe Germain,
but in No. 2, 3-4, 5, 6, 8, 17/19 he's: Louis Adolphe Germain ... !?!

In some of those documents both versions have been altered/corrected into the other!

I don't know what to believe. Mix-up, same or different guy/s, a name-change ... or what?

Noteworthy is No. 9/19 where Monsieur Germain himself seems to have signed the Receipt (Récépisse ...) with "R. Germain" (even if he did it with a non-typical R, though compare with where he signed it; in Rennes (Brittany/Bretagne).

This far I´ll go for; Louis Rodolphe Germain. Born 13 April 1827 ... dead ... ?

Björn
--

Last edited:
I don't know what to believe. Mix-up, same or different guy/s, a name-change ... or what?
Apparently, he was first incorrectly registered as "Louis Adolphe", then had to ask for a correction, and to produce a birth certificate to prove his names were Louis Rodolphe. See images 14-15, which show a letter from the Minister of War to the Grand Chancellor of the Legion of Honour -
[...]
M. Germain, vétérinaire principal de 2e classe, promu Officier de la Légion d'honneur par décret du 28 Xbre 1883, demande la rectification de l'un des prénoms portés sur sa lettre d'avis et qui existait déjà sur son certificat d'inscription dans la Légion d'Honneur pour le grade de Chevalier.
D'après l'extrait ci-joint du registre de l'état civil, produit par l'intéressé, les prénoms de M. Germain sont: Louis, Rodolphe et non pas: Louis, Adolphe.
J'ai l'honneur de vous prier de vouloir bien faire rectifier en conséquence les inscriptions faites à la grande chancellerie et me renvoyer ensuite [...] le document communiqué.
[etc.]

Louis Rodolphe Germain (1827–1912)

Apparently, he was first incorrectly registered as "Louis Adolphe", then had to ask for a correction, and to produce a birth certificate to prove his names were Louis Rodolphe. See images 14-15, which show a letter from the Minister of War to the Grand Chancellor of the Legion of Honour -
Thanks Laurent! Now it makes sence.

And, all in all; wow! That´s what I would call a surprising development ... ?!?

If 'Xbre' is to be read as Decembre [as in X (decem/10) + -bre], how would they (or that single clerk) have written October ... as VIIIbre? As in VIII (octo/8) + -bre, ending up in/to be read as: Octobre/October? Would that mean that any possible 'IXbre' is equal of November (IX/novem/9) and that September (in this somewhat Cryptic system) would have been written VIIbre (VII/septem/7)? How (on Earth) would they have written (the/our eighth Month) August?

Either way, it sure got me fooled. In my mind, 'Xbre' is not the most obvious way to write Decembre (nor Octobre, for that matter). ;)

Though; to me it does look like Laurent is fully correct (as usual), sorry Martin, as we (in the Leonore database) also find a guy by the name "Stephane Marie Alphonse Germain de Saligny" [not to be involved in any bird name etymology, in this context only mentioned as an example]; born "1846/12/05" (here), in the original document (the first one, out of 21), written (né le) "5 X bre 1846". In that case 'X bre' is/was clearly equal of December.

As if this wasn't/isn't convincing enough; if one compare Rodolphe Germain's document No. 1 with No.14 [in the same Leonore, Summary of his Cote (Case/file) LH/1123/75 (here)], we find that he was elevated from Chevalier to Officier (de la Légion d'honneur) in/on "28 Décembre 1883" resp. "du 28 Xbre 1883". Same event, same date, same year, written in two different ways, for the same thing (if I understood it correct, not knowing French).

Thereby, as of now (contrary to my old post #1, from back in 2014), I´d go for: Rodolphe Germain, whose full name was Louis Rodolphe Germain, born 13 April 1827, in Givet (Ardennes), ... veterinary surgeon, in the French colonial Army, ... and onwards ... until he died, 26 December 1912, in Brantôme (Dordogne), France – at the age of 85.

Though, as usual, don't hesitate to prove me (us) wrong!

Anyone who have found his death mentioned/written elsewhere (in an all unambiguous way)?

This far I haven't seen any other text/document (other than the ones pointed at in this thread) that reported of his Death. Any additional verification, confirmation (of 1912) would be warmly welcomed, simply to be on the safe (very safe) side.

Björn

PS. I assume the claim of him having died in 1917 origins from, Bulletin du Muséum national d'histoire naturelle, 1950, (here), which gave his years as: "(1827-? 1917)". Why Beolens et al decided to disregard of that question mark, in their Eponym dictionaries... (of Mammals/Birds), is all unknown to me [since then, unfortunately this/their claim have been quoted and requoted in various texts, articles, scientific papers, and all over the "net". As of now we suddenly know it's clearly false – thanks to Martin, we´ve got the proper date and year (and thanks to Laurent, also the proper Month).

Thanks guys! Well done! :t:
--

Last edited:
Anyone who have found his death mentioned/written elsewhere (in an all unambiguous way)?

This far I haven't seen any other text/document (other than the ones pointed at in this thread) that reported of his Death. Any additional verification, confirmation (of 1912) would be warmly welcomed, simply to be on the safe (very safe) side.

Hi Björn, I tried to contact Archive en ligne. They replied that records are only availble online until 1902 (which did not surprise me as that was my first try) and that they are not assisting people in private research. If you want to know it for sure you have to go to their reading room.

Anyway I am happy that Laurent corrected me and it is confirmed by the archive that Xre is december. As usual I can always learn something new from Laurent. A big thank you.

Small information more in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds and of course two additional errots
Germain's Peacock Pheasant Polyplectron germaini D. G. Elliot, 1866
Germain's Swiftlet Aerodramus germani Oustalet, 1876 [Alt. Oustalet's Swiftlet, German's Swiftlet]
Sooty-headed Bulbul ssp. Pycnonotus aurigaster germani Oustalet, 1878
Louis Rodolphe Germain (1827–1917) was a veterinary surgeon in the French colonial army, serving in Indochina (Vietnam) (1862–1867), and went to New Caledonia (1975– 1878). He made zoological collections (including the first specimen of the of the pheasant) in his spare time, donating them to the MNHN. A mammal is named after him.

As shown death 1912 is correct. Interesting is that he was in New Caledonia from 1975 till 1878. So as well for him are:

• Omobranchus germaini (Sauvage , 1883) OD here
  • Not sure if Trachypithecus germaini (Milne-Edwards, 1876) here or (Schlegel, 1876) here for the mammal. But think Schlegel has preference here
Take it for what's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back