• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Impressions: MeoPro HD 8x32 (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Hello,

For work last week I purchased a pair of demo 8x32 Meopta MeoPro HD binoculars for ~$375. On first impressions I was greatly impressed with the build quality and the ergonomics. Eye relief was very good, on par with the 7x42 Victory T*FL I still have on hand. The binos are clean and sharp in the central with gradual edge fall off. CA control on the edge is iffy, especially because eye positioning isn't the easiest. Depth of field is somewhat poor as is normal with any 8x32 I've used. Focusing is quick (but not as quick as I like, e.g. the aforementioned 1 turn of the T*FL) and precise, with a very smooth knob free of slop and backlash.

These will be my primary optics used for typical work duties (e.g. game and non-game bird surveys, monitoring of waterfowl in managed wetlands, providing guided tours, etc.) and I think I'll be decently pleased, especially given the low cost. The lightweight and minute size are a major advantage.

As of yet the biggest weakness is definitely CA control. They remind me a lot of the Vortex Vipers/Razors. I'd really like to have a pair of 8x32 Euro Instinct HD to compare side-by-side. I think they are similar to the 8x32 Conquest HDs I've seen, but again, I've not looked side-by-side.

Does anyone else have experience with this series (MeoPro HD)? I'd love to hear it.

Signing off until I get more field time.

Last edited:
Hello,

For work last week I purchased a pair of demo 8x32 Meopta MeoPro HD binoculars for ~$375. On first impressions I was greatly impressed with the build quality and the ergonomics. Eye relief was very good, on par with the 7x42 Victory T*FL I still have on hand. The binos are clean and sharp in the central with gradual edge fall off. CA control on the edge is iffy, especially because eye positioning isn't the easiest. Depth of field is somewhat poor as is normal with any 8x32 I've used. Focusing is quick (but not as quick as I like, e.g. the aforementioned 1 turn of the T*FL) and precise, with a very smooth knob free of slop and backlash.

These will be my primary optics used for typical work duties (e.g. game and non-game bird surveys, monitoring of waterfowl in managed wetlands, providing guided tours, etc.) and I think I'll be decently pleased, especially given the low cost. The lightweight and minute size are a major advantage.

As of yet the biggest weakness is definitely CA control. They remind me a lot of the Vortex Vipers/Razors. I'd really like to have a pair of 8x32 Euro Instinct HD to compare side-by-side. I think they are similar to the 8x32 Conquest HDs I've seen, but again, I've not looked side-by-side.

Does anyone else have experience with this series (MeoPro HD)? I'd love to hear it.

Signing off until I get more field time.

Thanks for posting JR. I haven't seen these but I am hopeful of getting my hands on a pair of Meostar 8x32s very soon.

Lee

Thanks for posting JR. I haven't seen these but I am hopeful of getting my hands on a pair of Meostar 8x32s very soon.

Lee

Lee,

I hope to get more field time with them soon, but I've unfortunately got a lot of office and habitat management work coming down the pipeline as opposed to survey/monitoring work.

I've handled the 8x32 Euros and liked them a lot, but haven't directly compared the two. Please post your thoughts on the Meostars if/when you can.

Justin

Hello Justin. I've had the 8x32 Meopro HD since a little while after it's release, and I also got a 8x32 Meostar late last year. If you're sensitive to CA, I think you're better off with the Meopro. With my units, the CA at the edges of the Meopro are similar to that about 2/3 the way towards the edges of the Meostar. The Meostar's edge CA is noticeably worse. To me, the Meostar's advantages over the Meopro are its compact size and its somewhat flatter field. It also seems a bit brighter (to my eyes at least). The Meostar also handles glare a lot better than the Meopro. In fact, I'm interested in hearing about what you think about the Meopro's glare control, because I'm wondering if Meopta managed to get this issue sorted out.

Peatmoss,

Is your Meostar the HD (i.e. Cabela's Euro Instinct HD) version or the original? I haven't had time to determine its handling of glare yet, but I'll be sure to get some field time this upcoming waterfowl migration period.

Justin

I'm also curious to hear what you have to say. I have the opportunity to pick one up new for $470; passed on it last week. I'd be interested in hearing how big the sweet spot is or isn't? About when the pincushion starts and if it is gradual or not, m and if it remains that way or not. I'm also wondering how it compares to a Vortex Viper HD as it is at that price point.

CG

Last edited:
Hello Justin. Mine is the Meostar but it is brand new, drop shipped from Meopta last November. It might be interesting if you ordered the Euro HD just to compare.

I've used it a little more and have been impressed by it. Central sharpness is not quite as great as in the Zeiss FL, but that isn't particularly surprising. CA control is good aside from the last 25% of the field or less. Edge fall off isn't as noticeable as in the FL, probably the last 33% or so - similar to most non-flat field 8x32s in the price range. I've had the Vortex Viper HD and I would personally rate this Meopta higher - and I'm a big fan of Vortex. Eye relief is fantastic; this is the only 8x32 I've tried aside from the FL and the SV that I've been able to see the entire FoV.

Peatmoss: The HD has better CA control, of that I am sure (I've seen both, but not side-by-side). I'm currently in a bit of a financial bind (these MeoPros were actually a work purchase to be used for work duties), so I'm not likely to buy the Euro HDs anytime soon; if they go on sale (similar to their Christmas sale) I may change my mind (if I can sell my FLs) but who knows.

Justin

I was hoping to hear a comment like this... now my curiosity is peaked again!!

CG

Certainly don't take my eyes as gospel - everyone is so different. However, I find the edges better than the Viper HD and control of CA a bit better. Central sharpness is about the same - hard to say for me as my eyes aren't perfect.

Justin

Certainly don't take my eyes as gospel - everyone is so different. However, I find the edges better than the Viper HD and control of CA a bit better. Central sharpness is about the same - hard to say for me as my eyes aren't perfect.

Justin

I have handled the Viper HD a number of times indoors. There was one sample that stood out from the others I had tried. It was a new pair that had just been put out, but don't know if that had anything to do with it, but suspect so. The only thing I found that I didn't like about it was the size of the sweet spot, otherwise it would have come home with me.

CG

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back