• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

Why are

What’s really interesting is the direction birds are moving. All our birds on Sunday were moving west, those at Sheringham I think east. This is a pattern I have observed many times before most notably on last year’s Pom Skua weekend in early November, when Titchwell had almost a 100 Poms west, but at Sheringham they were going east.

What are the factors on the coast that causes some birds to go east and some to go west? You might have imagined that west would be the preferred direction for birds essentially wanting to move south west into the Atlantic and then down the west African coast.|:S|

Hi Dave

Ive always not been completely clear on why Skuas go different directions on the coast and as you say the same was happening with Poms last Autumn.

From what i have read LTS is the most pelagic of all the Skuas and the winds we had inshore were relatively light although i think rougher in the middle of the North Sea. Also LTS take part in pre-migration dispersal - they are in the North Sea foraging for food then eventually head back North and follow the same route as the adults into the Atlantic. Therefore birds heading West are relatively easy to explain - they realise they have come quite a long way South and are trying to reorientate

As far as birds going East are concerned here is the weather map for 7th Sept

http://seawatchcgn.free.fr/

this wind direction shows a 'swirl' off the tip of the NE coast of Norfolk and perhaps the Skuas were following this 'swirl' to get back into the middle of the North Sea (and eventually head out into the Atlantic as well). The LTS we had occurred in a relatively small window which might suggest that they had a purpose in what they were doing and hadn't simply been 'blown in'. Perhaps this also accounts for the relative paucity of birds seen from the East Norfolk coast, should not be forgotten that a North facing coast and East facing coast are probably two completely different propositions for seabirds, i'm pretty sure that these birds werent just missed on the East coast so maybe Sheringham is the place where they come close inshore then almost immediately head out to sea.

B*gger ive just missed a Sabs Gull! - interesting heading West, better get back down the shelters :-O

Last edited:
Titchwell September 12th

Today's highlights

Pectoral sandpiper - juv on fresh marsh from 4pm
Curlew sandpiper - 2 juvs on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 2 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 briefly on fresh marsh reed edge
House martin - steady passage throughout the day with 100+ over visitor centre late afternoon
Bearded tit - upto 8 birds showing well along reededge from Island Hide

Paul

What’s really interesting is the direction birds are moving. All our birds on Sunday were moving west, those at Sheringham I think east. This is a pattern I have observed many times before most notably on last year’s Pom Skua weekend in early November, when Titchwell had almost a 100 Poms west, but at Sheringham they were going east.

Looking back at historical movements this always seems to be the case e.g. in large movements of Great Skuas, Manx Shearwaters etc. Would be interestind in people's thoughts why this happens...

Interesting about the Manxies last Sunday David. I only 4 during my 6.5 hours, but 28 were recorded in two large groups between 7 and 8am.

As Chris has already said Holme seems to be better in north-east, because of the geopgraphy of the course i.e birds are more likely to be pushed just round the corner and into the wash, while north-westerlies tend to encourage birds to 'skip the corner' and thus cut in at Titchwell, missing out Holme. This seems particularly pronounced in shearwaters.

All good stuff, lets hope the next couple of days bring a few passerines,

C

Last edited:
flight direction

Hi Connor/Dave et al

My theory on the difference between east & west flight direction along the north coast is this :- The birds are moving south down the North Sea & have an open expanse of water in front of them until they reach the Norfolk coast, those hitting the coast further west probably see it turning southward at Holme/Hunstanton & track that to keep heading basically southward & as the coast is low lying around the Wash probably dont realise they are heading into a cul de sac. Those that arrive on the coast further to the east possibly perceive the coast turning soutward at that point so continue to head eastward ? Over the years at Sheringham i have seen quite a few Skuas hitting the coast at height (mostly in calm weather) & then spend a bit of time circling around as if to suss out which way to head. As for the seabirds that must surely end up in The Wash, has anybody seen any evidence of re-orientation? I know Skuas migrate overland (probably too high to be noticed) but I havent heard of any records of Manxies etc shearing down the Great Ouse past Kings Lynn !

That is an interesting theory - I have seen skuas over Snettisham RSPB before, heading towards Kings Lynn, but was unfortunately too young to be interested in taking note of behaviour, etc. Perhaps these were birds that had hit the bottom of the cul de sac?

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure whether to come over or not. Though i am tempted by a morning of seawatching following by passerine hunting!

Gareth

Hi Gareth

If you are coming just for the day, Sunday will be better than Saturday, but if you are coming for the whole weekend, it could well be worth it - who knows what will turn up:t: I have predicted to a friend there will be a greenish warbler in the NWT Forestry area at Holme at precisely 3pm tomorrow (Sat)!!!!! Have a good weekend whatever you decide to do.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Met office website for Norfolk:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/ee_forecast_weather.html

Rain clearing this evening. Mainly dry on Saturday.
This Evening and Tonight:

Rain or showers, locally heavy, will die out this evening, then tonight will be mostly dry with broken cloud. Some patchy mist or fog will form towards morning. Minimum temperature 12 °C.

Saturday:

Patchy mist or fog clearing, then most places will be dry and warm with sunny intervals. However, eastern areas may remain rather cloudy, perhaps with a few spots of rain. Maximum temperature 20 °C.

Mist/fog in morning and then the sun coming out!!!!! sounds good to me for a MEGA day - here's hoping it DOESN'T remain cloudy in eastern areas!:t::t::t:

Early Warning

Rather than my day excursions to the north coast I have decided to tow my caravan to Little Snoring and spend a few days birding. This of course will mean everything will disappear so be warned ;)

Hope to arrive lunchtime Tuesday and once set up visit Hempton Marsh and Sculthorpe. Wednesday at Cley, Thursday a booked walk at Titchwell then freelance locally, Friday a booked walk at Snettisham and then freelance at Holme. Hopefully, at some point a visit to Holkham :t: (RBA texts activated).

Would be nice to meet with anyone in the area :t: and hopefully add a few lifers and year ticks as my birding this year has been limited.

Hope the weather improves :t:

HB or not HB!

Nice early morning walk up to Blakeney Point - started walking up very early (still lots of fog at the start) and had the following

1 Honey Buzzard - pale bird - in off sea at 0920 and low over Plantation- headed inland

1 Short eared owl

1 Garden Warbler
1 Les Whitethroat
1 juv Whinchat
4-5 Wheatear
lots of Swallows and h martins through

What to me looked like a pale bellied brent goose with a 'normal' bird was on the beach - could this be possible at this time of year (pale b brent that is)!?

Past at sea - 4 great skua, 2 arctic skua, 3 little gulls lots of close gannets

A bit gutted that Barred W was seen in the lupins. I sat by those for about 30 mins - in fact that is where the only warblers i saw were!...as always birds seem to come in throughout the day at the point

And finally an Osprey flew inland as i was reaching the coastguards/Cley car park. (my 2nd this month)

Surely the number of HB's moving through will equal or beat the last 'passage invasion' in the UK...was that in 2000?

Titchwell September 13th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 3 on fresh marsh until late morning before flying off
Curlew sandpiper - 8 juvs on fresh marsh
Little stint - 4 juvs on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 200 on fresh marsh
Mandarin - drake on fresh marsh
Pintail - 41 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 9 on fresh marsh
Redstart - female in bushes along main path
Hobby - 1 over saltmarsh
Peregrine - 1 in/off sea
Spotted flycatcher - 1 in carpark
Pomarine skua - 5 west
Manx shearwater - 1 east
Black tern - 9 offshore
Honey buzzard - 4 birds seen from the reserve during the day but unfortunatly I didn't manage to catch up with any
Grey heron - 9 on fresh marsh, 9 west offshore!!
Whinchat - 1 on fresh marsh

An interesting day of visible migration today, with the obvious highlight being a Honey Buzzard east along the inland ridge at c.3:30pm, being hassled by two Carrion Crows. I first saw it at reasonable range before it began drifting away towards Titchwell RSPB. Fortunatelty it doubled back briefly and I managed to get through to C.H.M. (Norfolkbirder) who was in the Forestry and he ran up just in time to see it. Earlier a distant Buzzard sp. flew south at 1:45pm. Waders were well represented with a Wood Sandpiper east, 15+ Greenshanks, 10 Golden Plovers and 21 Snipe west. A small scattering of migrant passerines included a respectable total of 5 Redstarts (1 male), as well as 1 Spotted Flycatcher, 1 female Whinchat, 1 female Wheatear and 2 Garden Warblers, as well as small influx of c. 40 Goldcrests and a scattering of commoner warblers, including 1 Willow Warbler, 1 Sedge Warbler and 4 Lesser Whitethroats. Other viz-mig totals included 30 Wigeon, 60+ Curlews, 3 Brent Geese, 40 Swallows, 1 Siskin w, 1 Yellow Wagtail w, 5 Reed Buntings w and 60 Meadow Pipits. Many of the migrant passerines seemed to arrive in the afternoon, coinciding with the change in wind-direction to ENE - hopefully a sign of things to come tommorow.

Last edited:
Nice early

What to me looked like a pale bellied brent goose with a 'normal' bird was on the beach - could this be possible at this time of year (pale b brent that is)!?

Surely the number of HB's moving through will equal or beat the last 'passage invasion' in the UK...was that in 2000?

There was a pb Brent at Sheringham earlier this week so possibly even the same bird

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=honey+buzzard+2000&btnG=Search&meta=

interesting reading especially the first two links, seems that yesterdays rain may have played an important factor in bringing them over, looks like the numbers are going to increase over the next couple of days but with more being seen at inland sites.
In between making the teas managed to see one being hassled by corvids + an osprey then on the patch this evening 5+ Whinchat and two very dark Wheatear - they looked like they had come from a very long way east :t:

check out the origin of these winds -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/east_europe/wind.shtml

good luck tomorrow everyone.

Last edited:
Where can I have a go at bat flushers? Actually, only joking, but still interesting that RBA requested that the parti-coloured bat seen at Kelling was not disturbed and it obviously was! When will we learn! Not looking good for the next skulking rare!

Arrived Holme 7.15pm. Foggy leaving King's Lynn, but the sun broke through by the time I got to Holme. Quick scan in bushes opposite public toilets, not alot there. Then drove down and had a quick look in Redwell Marsh Hide where I saw a party of long tailed tits along the path, 2 goldfinches and a robin. From the hide were 22 egyptian geese, 1 snipe, 1 little egret. Tons of cobwebs glistening with dew this morning with big fat spiders in the middle!

Parked half way down the Firs road and walked along back path overlooking paddocks to meet up with Chris M. and Andy W. 7 snipe flew over, 3 stonechats in bushes along with a few reed bunting. We walked along the dune ridge towards Gore Point and had 20 common scooter, 2 whimbrel, 1 curlew on shore. We crossed Gore Point and joined Connor in the NWT Forestry who had already beaten us to it with a couple of redstart and a whinchat! In here we saw several hedgesparrows, 40 goldfinches went west, 17 linnets, 2 male black caps (at least), 5 lesser whitethroats, 2 chiffchaffs, another 23 goldfinches, 1 female wheatear, 1 turtle dove (I saw) Andy and Chris had 2, 1 hobby, marsh harrier. We all split up, Connor headed for obs, Chris and Andy went off to one part of the forestry and I went back to head for car for jam sandwich;). I didn't get very far when I saw a VERY interesting warbler shoot across from a bramble into a very small privet bush that was only a couple of feet wide. I pissheed it several times and out popped a VERY stripy, very striking head with bold supercilium and my immediate instinct was OMG an Aquatic warbler!!!!! I didn't see the main body at all only this striking head and odd behaviour. It sunk down into the bush just as quick and made a single 'chuckkk', long pause, 'chuckkk' long pause etc etc, I felt incredibly excited that I might have actually found my own MEGA and VERY frustratingly could not get hold of either Chris or Andy on the phone:eek!::C Got hold of Connor though and he came back back with another local birder and eventually Chris and Andy joined us too. I did not see or hear the bird again after everyone turned up!!!! Then suddenly it appeared for a second or two but not long enough to 100% ID it. We moved to the other side of bush and it VERY, VERY disappointingly turned out to be a BL**DY juv. Sedge Warbler, I was so cross! and VERY disappointed:-C I apogised to everyone but as Chris and another man said, its better to check it out etc etc. I was cursing for a while after this:-C Walked back to car and had lunch then we drove down to NOA carpark. We scanned the marsh and skies by the side of observatory for a long time trying to pick up all these Honey Buzzards that have been flashing up on the pager all day long. We had a buzzard sp. but were not lucky with HB's! Marsh harrier, kestrels though and a redstart. We then took our cars back up to the 5-bar gate and had another look in the forestry were we saw a lovely male redstart and a spotted flycatcher close in proximity to each other! Andy and I went back up to pines behind The Firs and on route Connor and Chris phoned us to let us know about a honey buzzard going through, but Andy and I could not pick up on it:-C In the pines lots of goldcrests were zipping about and I suddenly spotted 2 treecreepers on a pine tree! Walked back through reserve and along road where we found another chiffchaff in sallow bush and back to 5-gate to where cars were parked. Connor and Chris had already left and now Andy left to go home.

I continued birding and went to look in Redwell marsh reserve where I had a Green Sandpiper directly in front of hide! and 3 wood sandpipers mid distance.

I then went to Holme Marsh Reserve NWT which was in a TERRIBLE state. I have not been there for a while and apparently there are horses grazing in there. The path that used to be there for walking to the 3 hides is now several yards wide BUT with horse sh*t, piles of it all the way along, it was a right mess to say the least. On route I saw several blue tits, a chiffchaff, 9 linnets and a party of long tailed tits and 1 snipe. And Hide 1 was a complete waste of time as the reeds in front of the hide completely covered all the water. I walked directly to hide 3 and saw nothing apart from a few mallard and cows!!! Walked back to car and then followed public footpath out to Holme marsh as far as the 5-bar gate marked private no entrance. I stood by this gate and within seconds I was watching a barn owl AND my first short eared owl of the year carrying a vole!!!!!!!!!!:t:;) I had a real BLONDE moment and had all my camera gear in my backpack and the SEO then turned and followed the ditch and came straight for me!!! It was the closest ever, most stunning views I have ever had with a SEO and I didn't have the camera out!!!!! Nice bird ended a good day with excellent company too:t:

Last edited:
Blimey!!!!!! HONEY BUZZARDS ON PASSAGE AGAIN TODAY, RBA pager going continuously with Honey Buzzards messages, seen this morning at Holme, Heach, 5 at Hunstanton, Thornham, Northrepps, Salthouse, Norwich, Weybourne, Attleborough.

Also red backed shrike at Heacham, right of sewage works.

But get my skates on and get out there:t:

Blimey!!!!!! HONEY BUZZARDS ON PASSAGE AGAIN TODAY, RBA pager going continuously with Honey Buzzards messages, seen this morning at Holme, Heach, 5 at Hunstanton, Thornham, Northrepps, Salthouse, Norwich, Weybourne, Attleborough.

Also red backed shrike at Heacham, right of sewage works.

But get my skates on and get out there:t:

Would be interested to now if these incoming Honey Buzzards follow any kind of pattern when traveling across land? (this question could include other raptor species also) are they likely to stick to any particular topography type (heavily wooded areas/river valleys etc) or do they just wing it in a random fashion!!!

My best watchpoint is 11 miles away in the Waverney..looks like I'd better pack some sarnies and get the bike out!!!!

Good mig hunting folks!!

Matt

Would be interested to now if these incoming Honey Buzzards follow any kind of pattern when traveling across land? (this question could include other raptor species also) are they likely to stick to any particular topography type (heavily wooded areas/river valleys etc) or do they just wing it in a random fashion!!!

My best watchpoint is 11 miles away in the Waverney..looks like I'd better pack some sarnies and get the bike out!!!!

Good mig hunting folks!!

Matt

Although would have liked to see some HB's today learnt alot about how they migrate and how sneaky they are. Went to Incleborough (huge panoramic views), pagers going off of reports of birds on all sides - Northrepps, Salthouse, and Aylmerton, couldn't understand why not seeing any and called my mate in Aylmerton, then headed up there but passage had ended by the point.
Have however worked out some reasons why i missed them, apparently the birds today at Aylmerton flew quite low South out of the woods, heading in SE and SW directions (not viewable from Incleborough) - presumably yesterdays birds having roosted. Would guess that all of todays birds were birds that arrived yesterday either here or further North - with birds moving down through the Wash a new feature of today, spent some time looking for birds coming in off the sea - which i hindsight was wrong. Only site that seems slightly unusual are the 9+ at Burnham Overy (hard cheese chumpbirders - but i can hardly talk ;))but presumably these were birds 'cutting the corner'.

I think these birds are generally moving south, roosting in wooded areas?, using staging posts (Abberton res in 2000) and in a few days should start filtering out through Beachy Head, Portland (see links) but I would say theres nothing random about these birds :t:

Got to be philosophical rather than blame luck, and i'll be prepared next time :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back