View Single Post
Old Friday 14th May 2004, 16:22   #13
Hal
Gashawk

All right KC
Didn't mean that the bird shouldn't be discussed! I just don't think we will ever be absolutely sure about the ID on this one. Personally I thought it was most likely a Hammonds or possibly an out of range Least. The head size, some kind of eye ring,
bill colour?, and what looks like a probable primary extension all fit. You're right that the comments & attempts to ID the birds only help people out in the long run. Just didn't want to see it popping up again next spring. I have enough trouble keeping up with the Empids without dragging out anything extra.

Just to show how far out of range some of the birds can be, and why you shouldn't put too much faith in range maps, here is the list of confirmed flycatchers for the province of Ontario. Three quarters are multiple records, and over half of those are seen annually.

Olive-sided Flycatcher, Western Wood-Pewee, *Eastern Wood-Pewee,*Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, *Acadian Flycatcher, *Alder Flycatcher, *Willow Flycatcher, *Least Flycatcher, Gray Flycatcher, Dusky Flycatcher, *Eastern Phoebe, Say'sPhoebe, Vermilion Flycatcher, Ash-throated Flycatcher, *Great Crested Flycatcher, Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher, Variegated Flycatcher, Tropical Kingbird, Cassin's Kingbird, *Western Kingbird, *Eastern Kingbird, Gray Kingbird, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, and Fork-tailed Flycatcher.
* Breeds in province Italics (rare) - accidentals, strays & vagrants

This is as of December, 2003, by fall 2004 it's possibly there will be more. There are 7 flycatcher species from Mexico to Columbia with good drawings & notes, multiple reports, but single observers, no photos, and no confirmation by others.

Hal