• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sturnus sp. (Madrid, Spain) (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Hello everyone. I saw this bird today in Velilla de San Antonio (Madrid). Can you tell if it is Sturnus vulgaris or S. unicolor even though the quality is low?

Attachments

• Estornino negro (Sturnus unicolor).jpg
    Estornino negro (Sturnus unicolor).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 258
What makes you think it's not identifiable to species?

Common Starling can look fairly unspotted, and these photos are not nearly good enough to show for sure that there are no spots; and I do not see the elongated throat feathers that are characteristic of Spotless Starling.

Niels

Both species are in fresh non-breeding/winter plumage right now. The main distinguishing feature at a distance is really not the body spotting, it's the fresh fringing to the wing feathers, with Common Starling having very noticeable and broad pale (brown) and contrasting fringes to those feathers (wings stand out as unequivocally paler than the body at a distance), while Spotless has no such fringes and wings look uniform with the body.
Now the bird in the photo: is it just a black silhouette with no colour visible? Not at all. It is dark, as expected given the species we're talking about, but plenty to see there: black "mask" on the lores to the eyes, reflections on upper cheeks, over the scapulars, upper breast (making a darker wing to almost stand out), and legs appear brownish (not black, as in a silhouette) which reinforces the idea that if paler fringes were present on the wing they'd be obviously visible. I don't see much problem with this.

P.S.: this could be useful: http://blascozumeta.com/wp-content/...sseriformes/417a.identification-starlings.pdf

Both species are in fresh non-breeding/winter plumage right now. The main distinguishing feature at a distance is really not the body spotting, it's the fresh fringing to the wing feathers, with Common Starling having very noticeable and broad pale (brown) and contrasting fringes to those feathers (wings stand out as unequivocally paler than the body at a distance), while Spotless has no such fringes and wings look uniform with the body.
Now the bird in the photo: is it just a black silhouette with no colour visible? Not at all. It is dark, as expected given the species we're talking about, but plenty to see there: black "mask" on the lores to the eyes, reflections on upper cheeks, over the scapulars, upper breast (making a darker wing to almost stand out), and legs appear brownish (not black, as in a silhouette) which reinforces the idea that if paler fringes were present on the wing they'd be obviously visible. I don't see much problem with this.

P.S.: this could be useful: http://blascozumeta.com/wp-content/...sseriformes/417a.identification-starlings.pdf

I cannot see those details on either of the two computers I have used.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back